How to edit your herostat WITHOUT heroselct or xmlbcui!

Started by Stickbro, September 01, 2012, 10:16AM

Previous topic - Next topic
are you having trouble compiling you're herostat?? well INTRODUCING XMLB-COMPILE!!! A fast and easy way to edit any .engb files!! :D
what you need:
1. MUA (duh)
2. this: http://www.mediafire.com/?aaa6c45zntp2a7p it's a DoS file that decompiles and compiles any .engb files like npcstat or, most importantly herostat's.

step 1. download the file from the link above and put it into you're C: windows folder.
step 2. paste you're herostat into you're user folder (it usually tells you to put it into there) and open up command prompt (located in the accescories folder on the start menu)
step 3. type this in without the quotes "xmlb-compile -d herostat.engb > herostat.txt"
step 4. edit you're herostat like you would with the xmlbcui program.
step 5. once you're done save you're herostat then open up comand prompt
and type this in without the quotes "xmlb-compile herostat.txt herostat.engb"  and press enter
it should say:
compiling herostat.txt
press ENTER..
step 6. once you're done with that just copy you're newly edited herostat into you're data folder and PRESTO!! it should work now.

notes:
1.this is mostly for people who can't change their herostats with xmlbcui or heroselect. this is the only i could get my characters to work.
2.I DID NOT MAKE THIS PROGRAM. ALL CREDIT GOES TO THE CREATOR (who's name i don't know).

September 01, 2012, 12:01PM #1 Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 12:10PM by anonymouspunk89
Thanks Stick, this is helpful stuff.
Quick question, why would I get an error after I input the "xmlb-compile -d herostat.engb > herostat.txt" command into the compiler and tells me to check herostat.engb; to which I receive the following: Unexpected past argument ""C:\Program Files (x86)\Activision\Marvel - Ultimate Alliance\data\herostat.engb""
Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

edit: no idea why it's crossed out.

did you paste your herostat into you're user folder in c:/windows/users/*yournamehere*

Quote from: Stickbro on September 01, 2012, 12:17PM
did you paste your herostat into you're user folder in c:/windows/users/*yournamehere*
Maybe I put the wrong one in there, which herostat are we talking about?

no prob. i had the same exact problem too. i got so desperate to mod that i got the avengers mod lol. then i found this.

No prob. So to clarify (I have to do this, or my unofficial OCD will kick in and drive me nuts) after I follow steps 1-3, I just edit the herostat file (this is my first time actually editing this thing so pardon my slowness. i don't edit the engb file right?) save, then move the engb file back to the data folder. And that should move the characters I want in the game...well, into the game.
Right?

you're right about 1-3 but after you edit the herostat.txt you dont simply save it as you're just saving the .txt file. after you edit the herostat you save it then type this into command prompt:
"xmlb-compile herostat.txt herostat.engb" then press enter. that makes the herostat modified. then you just copy you're newly modifed herostat.engb into you're data folder. sorry im not good at explaining these kind of things. im only 13

Quote from: Stickbro on September 01, 2012, 01:47PM
you're right about 1-3 but after you edit the herostat.txt you dont simply save it as you're just saving the .txt file. after you edit the herostat you save it then type this into command prompt:
"xmlb-compile herostat.txt herostat.engb" then press enter. that makes the herostat modified. then you just copy you're newly modifed herostat.engb into you're data folder. sorry im not good at explaining these kind of things. im only 13
It's cool dude, you've done a magnificent job in explaining.

Just wanted to let you know that I finally got it to work (YAAAAAY!!!) and I wanted to thank you for your help dude, you really helped me out.
It's gonna sound weird, but I think my herostat.engb file was bad (I know right?) So I used the engb file from another program like heroselect and it worked perfectly.
So thanks again man! :)

haha no prob. and to think i found this out on accident! :P

September 01, 2012, 05:58PM #12 Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 08:44PM by anonymouspunk89
Quote from: Stickbro on September 01, 2012, 05:26PM
haha no prob. and to think i found this out on accident! :P
What a happy accident that turned out to be.

btw, do you have two slots that are empty but say "Ms. Marvel" on them? Just something I found while choosing a character.

if there's 2 slots that are free and both say ms. marvel on them it means they're empty for you to fill in. it says ms. marvel because she is on the 1 location. any character that is one 1 appears when a space is empty.

Quote from: Stickbro on September 01, 2012, 11:19PM
if there's 2 slots that are free and both say ms. marvel on them it means they're empty for you to fill in. it says ms. marvel because she is on the 1 location. any character that is one 1 appears when a space is empty.
Oh, well that makes sense. So I can just add a character in one of those slots and put the number "26" or "27"  on the herostat where it asks for menu location?