Author Topic: Modding MUA2 for Beginners  (Read 4144 times)

Offline IAmTheClayman

• Rook
    • !NTELLIGENT DESIGN
Modding MUA2 for Beginners
« on: July 29, 2016, 07:34pm »
So being one of the beginners mentioned in the title for this thread, I was hoping some more experienced modders would be able to share their advice.  I'm currently banging my head against extracting the models.bin file, but to no avail using PowerISO, MagicISO, Alcohol 52% or Daemon Tools.  This is even after creating the appropriate .cue file

So does anyone have advice starting their and then continuing on to other topics?

Offline DJay Saint

• Marvel Modder
  • Invincible Member
  • Scars heal, pain fades, but glory lasts forever.
Re: Modding MUA2 for Beginners
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 08:09pm »
Yeah.  Use the search function.  Or perhaps threads right above or below yours.

MUA2 just came out to PC a few days ago.  But your question has already been answered in another thread.

Came out a bit more harsh than I meant.  To clarify, a lot of beginner questions have resources already in place and have been answered a lot before.  Usually if you have a question about something specific, you can tend to find it through search.  I started by searching and reading the crap out of everything I could, and only asking questions when I absolutely could not figure something out on my own.

But since MUA2 just came out, there isn't a whole lot of new information on it yet.  I haven't had much chance to take a crack at it because I can't even play it so any changes I've made are still waiting to be tested.  But there is an answer to the .bin extraction already in the main discussion thread.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 03:56pm by DJay Saint »
Some day, someone will best me.  But it won't be today, and it won't be you.

The artist formerly known as Burning Rage.

Offline LarsAlexandersson

• Invincible Member
  • The fighting/action game xpert & informer.
    • http://larsmasters.deviantart.com/
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 09:33pm »
latest quickbms & zenhax, then run as Admin. MUALover recommend me to go to that instuctions
Call me Lars. I'm Power Cosmic no more.

"Trying to solve mysteries of modding here"

My Progress:
http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,4671.0.html

Feel free to mod my releases, as long you credit me:
http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,4488.0.html

Offline IAmTheClayman

• Rook
    • !NTELLIGENT DESIGN
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 02:40pm »
latest quickbms & zenhax, then run as Admin. MUALover recommend me to go to that instuctions

Sorry, run what as Admin?  QuickBMS?

I actually got so far as to download it Friday night and start trying to use HexToOBJ to view the models.  Unfortunately though it doesn't seem that character models are part of the model.bin archive, and when I extracted actors.bin I ended up with a number of files with numeric names (0002.igz, 0301.igz, etc.)  Inspecting one of them (0201.igz) with a Hex Editor revealed code referencing a file called daredevil_anti_2_n.igz.  So am I to assume that this file is one of the Daredevil meshes?  And is there a better explanation anywhere online for how HexToOBJ works than the one included with the program?  It's a little difficult to understand

Offline Teancum

• Admin
  • Invincible Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 03:51pm »
You're correct in assuming that any numbered .igz files under the /actors foder are models (with their textures).

Offline IAmTheClayman

• Rook
    • !NTELLIGENT DESIGN
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 04:34pm »
You're correct in assuming that any numbered .igz files under the /actors foder are models (with their textures).

Wait, with the textures?  If that's the case what would be the best way to convert them to a useable format like OBJ?  I've tried working on the Daredevil file and I can't get HexToOBJ so output anything that even vaguely resembles a person lol

Offline Teancum

• Admin
  • Invincible Member
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 05:23pm »
This topic over at Xentax has all the information we know at the moment. It concerns .DAT files, but those are just what QuickBMS (a generic extractor tool for games) names files when it doesn't know what they are. Long story short there are compressed chunks in the .IGZ files, QuickBMS decompresses and extracts them to .DAT (since it can't find filenames), and this topic is where Hex2Obj and some texture finding work comes in.

http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=13507

It doesn't really help us much with creating new content, though.

Offline IAmTheClayman

• Rook
    • !NTELLIGENT DESIGN
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 05:32pm »
This topic over at Xentax has all the information we know at the moment. It concerns .DAT files, but those are just what QuickBMS (a generic extractor tool for games) names files when it doesn't know what they are. Long story short there are compressed chunks in the .IGZ files, QuickBMS decompresses and extracts them to .DAT (since it can't find filenames), and this topic is where Hex2Obj and some texture finding work comes in.

http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=13507

It doesn't really help us much with creating new content, though.

Thank you so much!  I figure I can worry about creating new content once I get a sense of how the developers did IK rigging, cloth sim, etc.  My background is more in 3d modeling/animation than coding so I'm planning on building a lot of custom models for existing characters and hopefully some new ones

Just so I have it straight: the pipeline is to use QuickBMS on the .bin archives to get compressed .igz files, then again on each .igz to get uncompressed .dat files?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 05:35pm by IAmTheClayman »

Offline Teancum

• Admin
  • Invincible Member
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2016, 06:05pm »
Correct. And from there that Xentax topic has info on the textures inside the .dat files.

Offline IAmTheClayman

• Rook
    • !NTELLIGENT DESIGN
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 08:36am »
Not having worked with .igz or .dat formats before, is t possible that a file contains reference to more than one model?  I'm noticing more than one "run" of sequential face index  data. I can supply pics once I'm home from work. If anyone wants to check it out, I took the Black Panther model (1101.igz using QuickBMS) and extracted it into 6 .dat files, the one I'm working on currently being 00...03.dat. 00...00.dat looks to be storing all of the IK information and other data structure info, and the rest are honestly tiny (either 0kb or 21kb depending) so they aren't worth inspecting

If that's the case and the file is referencing multiple meshes, can HexToOBJ deal with that or am I going to need to split the file for each potential mesh and run those through HtB?  Because right now all I'm getting is total gibberish (aka lots of random triangles) and I don't know if it's because I'm misinterpreting the data or if it's still not in a format HexToOBJ can deal with
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 08:38am by IAmTheClayman »

Offline Teancum

• Admin
  • Invincible Member
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 01:13pm »
Could they be LODs?

Offline IAmTheClayman

• Rook
    • !NTELLIGENT DESIGN
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2016, 02:22pm »
I mean I don't think it'd make sense to for the player characters right?  They would never be seen from any significant distance

EDIT: finally managed to extract my first mesh, though I'm still working to get textures working properly.  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction

Also I learned over at XeNTaX that the reason why the .igz file looked like it had more than one list of face indices is because the model is broken up into 4 submeshes.  Mind you these are somewhat arbitrary it seems: for example one submesh is Black Panther's face, arms and harness, but the face has a giant gap in it.  That gap is contained in a completely separate submesh
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 10:03pm by IAmTheClayman »

Offline Stickbro

• Amazing Member
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 11:14pm »
is there any way to see what actor file belongs to which hero? like what number is warmachine so i can replace iron man's second armor actor file with his model

Offline superaceman34

• Amazing Member
  • Doc Ock for MH!
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2016, 06:35am »
is there any way to see what actor file belongs to which hero? like what number is warmachine so i can replace iron man's second armor actor file with his model

If you go into data-stats-npcs you can see the npcstat xmlb files that include the skin number. For War Machine there is a file called allwarmachine.xmlb and if you decompile that it has skin = 5101 :)

Offline Stickbro

• Amazing Member
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2016, 10:42pm »

so i got warmachine to work as ironman's 3rd skin :)

doesn't replace anyone and still has ironman's powers that fit very well with the model!