Author Topic: What is required to get a new hero to appear...  (Read 1202 times)

Offline Teancum

• Admin
  • Invincible Member
What is required to get a new hero to appear...
« on: August 03, 2016, 11:00am »
To be clear, I don't know yet. I'm trying to work through this in my mind and hopefully we can figure it out as a team. This will be the MINIMUM required actions to get a new hero working. In my example I'm working on War Machine, since he could be a copy of Iron Man for the sake of figuring things out.

1) A "Stat" file. Since the herostat is no more and is now broken up into individual files under /data/stats/heroes/ each new hero needs their own entry. The menulocation entry doesn't seem to do anything, unlike MUA1. Nanite Nick Fury doesn't even have one in his stat file, and if I am reading this right one location is assigned to more than one character.

2) A talents file

3) PKGB packages, specifically [charactername]_[modelnumber].pkgb and [charactername]_fightstyles.pkgb

4) add entry to /data/stats/heroes/herolisting.xmlb. Add new heroes to the BOTTOM of that list (after Wolverine) or you will get "content missing" errors as apparently it relies on the order in which they're posted.

EDIT: For now I'm going to put this on ice. Unlike MUA1 every character (even DLC) is listed in the .exe file, so we may not be able to add anyone new. I'm going to check model files against the 360 at some point. It'd be really cool to swap out some characters I consider lame with better ones on my 360. No promises, though.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 07:44am by Teancum »

Offline brianmaslanyre7

• Uncanny Member
Re: What a new hero requires...
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 11:51am »
he needs much more then that, i tried swapping jean grey with Magneto's powers. but adding new packages or talents aint enough. when i tried to, she didn't recognized any of the input files so i had to change the files in ents folder as well as in powerstyles. still i had no sound of the powers magneto has. Jean remained her old animations. powers worked correctly but the point is it had no sound, i tried changing all soundir and vodir sounds to magneto in the heroestat for jean, but looks like it aint working so i have absolutely no idea what's causing it. also the limit of costumes is 3, i added a third costume to jean as a firestart. i tried adding more but it didn't load and started again, maybe there is a way to bypass it somehow? eitherway it's 10x more complicated then it used to be before

Offline Teancum

• Admin
  • Invincible Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 11:56am »
Yeah, powers are much more complex. I should have been clearer in my title. Basically what will it take to get an entirely new hero to appear in the roster, even if he/she is totally broken powers-wise. The rest I can figure out later, but if I can't add totally new heroes to the game I'm not really interested in modding it.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 12:01pm by Teancum »

Offline brianmaslanyre7

• Uncanny Member
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 11:59am »
Yeah, powers are much more complex. I should have been clearer in my title. Basically what will it take to get an entirely new hero to appear in the roster, even if he/she is totally broken powers-wise.

yes indeed, still trying to figure out the animations and sounds. they are huge mystery for me atm.

Offline Stickbro

• Amazing Member
Re: What is required to get a new hero to appear...
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 12:46am »
okay so what is required to replace a hero with an npc? i dont use any of the ff4 so it would be nice to replace em with some of the mini-bosses that appear in the story mode sans fusions.

do i have to just edit their stats files? swap their enteties and packages along with the actors and anim files?

Offline Gevth

• Marvel Modder
  • Invincible Member
  • The spirit of the 90's
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 04:43am »
Related to Stickbro's post:
Has NPC boss Iron Man different files than PC Iron Man?

Offline Teancum

• Admin
  • Invincible Member
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 05:33am »
Two other things I've found:

1) In /data/stats/heroes/ there is a file called herolisting.xmlb. Add new heroes to the BOTTOM of that list (after Wolverine) or you will get "content missing" errors. I'm still trying to get War Machine to show up.

2) The menulocation entry doesn't seem to do anything, unlike MUA1. Nanite Nick Fury doesn't even have one in his stat file, and if I am reading this right one location is assigned to more than one character.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 05:47am by Teancum »

Offline Stickbro

• Amazing Member
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 12:20pm »
Well it sucks we cant add more slots, but i dont mind replacing existing characters, i just want to replace some existing ones with npcs

Offline Teancum

• Admin
  • Invincible Member
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 05:09am »
Tried one last thing last night, hex editing my hero (War Machine) into the savegames like we used to do. Still got a "content missing" error. It's clear now that there's no way to add new characters, only replace existing ones.