Converted XML1 Skins Galore (a.k.a. "You asked for it!")

Started by Noelemahc, January 07, 2007, 02:08AM

Previous topic - Next topic
If you're doing the ones which are just slightly different between games, like Rogue, then the following are also different:
Ultimate Jean (Butch Haircut)
Ultimate Storm (has a Ponytail, not spiky from XML2/long hair from MUA)
Classic Wolvy (its classic, not astonishing, so it has bigger pointy ears and shoulderpads)
Nightcrawler's base costume (classic is actually an atl costume, his base one is dark blue/red with a belt. doesn't have swords, so it may not be useful, but it is still different :P)

I'll take a look at those, thanks :D
Next stop: checking and comparing the Morlocks and Demons and Sentinels between XML1/2/MUA. After that, XML1 is done for and I move on to XML2 enemies, as the Mutant Mixes intrigue me as possible alternative costumes for some charries.

Crimson Dynamo says:
In Soviet Russia, the games mod YOU!

If anyone needs any art for icons or portraits, feel  free to ask, I'll see what I can do.

February 11, 2007, 10:25AM #32 Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 12:07PM by Burning Rage
Quote from: BliZZ on February 11, 2007, 06:34AM
Classic Wolvy (its classic, not astonishing, so it has bigger pointy ears and shoulderpads)

I was just about to mention that...  :D

Oh... and he has those blue underwear looking things over his pants too.   :P

[nitpick]Speaking of this model, has anyone played the PS2 version?  If you look at the classic Wolverine skin, his back is severely sunk in.  Is it the same way on the X-box version too?  This was really annoying to look at, which made me shy away from this skin.  It can be fixed on PC for MUA and XML2 for sure, but seeing it on XML1 for PS2 was kind of depressing that Raven would make an oversight like that.  *shrugs*[/nitpick]

BTW, thanks for the models.   ;)
Some day, someone will best me.  But it won't be today, and it won't be you.

The artist formerly known as Burning Rage.

Ah'm phukt.

This is a comparison shot of how the Box textures hold up against the PS2 textures in XML1 models.
Note the "stair-step" effect in colours on the cleavage, the boots and the gloves.

Moreover, PS2 textures, as they are palettized RGBAs, don't need to be modified in any way to be usable in MUA, which saves lots of time. BUT, since they're palettized in a relatively exotic way, we will lose the ability to modify their textures for reskins.
So here's the million dollar question - should I re-rip the already-done models or not?
There will be a weight gain of about 40% because the PS2 stores geometry differently (but, amazingly, it looks the same on the PC), but who cares about some 40% if we're talking about a gain of only 50 kbs per model on average?

Crimson Dynamo says:

If anyone needs any art for icons or portraits, feel  free to ask, I'll see what I can do.

February 12, 2007, 01:41AM #34 Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 01:58AM by Burning Rage
To be honest, I don't think the differences are severe enough to warrant re-ripping all the models all over again.  You've already spent enough time with the X-box versions, and I think being able to modify the textures for reskins is more valuable than a little less zig zag in cleavage.

However, if you don't plan on modifying the textures and taking the models as is, then I don't see the harm in it if someone wants a little higher resolution model.  I do like the fact that they don't have to be modified to work in MUA though.  That's sexy.  :D

EDIT:  The reason I say this is that with the X-box models, stairstepping in the skins is nothing a little photoshopping can't fix.  Sometime in the near future, I plan on dusting off that old copy of 3D Max I got and rounding out a little bit of the blockiness from the XML1 models, and reskinning them as to make them look hi-def and awesomefied with the advanced lighting (or whatever they call it) feature of MUA.

February 12, 2007, 02:01AM #35 Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 02:07AM by Noelemahc
Okay, I fiddled more. Yeah, the textures in these can also be modified, via Photshop with the nVidia DDS pluck-in -- export as an 8-bit palettized RGB image, everything works. From now on, all future rips will come from the PS2 version because I'll have to spend more time importing the skins into MUA to take snaps than to rip them!

Let's commemorate.

Short Hair Ultimate Jean and Animated Series Wolverine!

Why we love the PS2? Right-o, full compatibility with both XML2 and MUA without any modifications!

Archive: http://h1.ripway.com/ivank/XML1/XML1PS2s1.rar

Not listing the offsets because they're quite easy to find. Look inside of Texture Finder in either of the last two bitmap modes, note the offset and step back 1024 bytes for the palette's offset. Ka-ching!

I know who I WILL have to re-rip though. Psylocke's both costumes and Emma's other costume, because their Box textures look wonky in MUA, and I'll also ponder the possibility of re-ripping Marrow (because she's my favourite Morlock) and Eyes-Man (because his Box texture is very low-res). I've also compared the Morlock models -- aside from the one above, XML2 is also missing two of the big bruisers. Then we compare the Sentinel versions and the various demons...

Crimson Dynamo says:

Howsabout you also consider re-ripping Jubes, MultiMan, and Avalanche? They also all look a bit wonky, and they each deserve at least one reasonable skin. Oh, and Dark Avalanche; why not see if the PS2 one's chin ISN'T corrupted.

Yeah, alright. *adds them to the to-do list*
Since it's a matter of simple hexing and nothing more I can do what I want and still have time to experiment.

Fresh factoids: the v5 nVidia pluck-in outputs the files in EXACTLY the format XML1 PS2 uses for the textures if you save the 32-bit image into 8-bit index. Furthermore, the v6 nVidia pluck-in (but NOT the v7 one!) outputs a 4-bit index file in the same format as used in MUAPSP, at least at the same sizes for the texture and palette sections. I, of course, highly doubt it will look good in-game (4 bits = 16 colours), but still, it's another guessing point, isn't it?

Crimson Dynamo says:

February 12, 2007, 07:35AM #38 Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 09:57AM by Burning Rage
Well, if they look this good, then I guess there's no point in redoing some of the models/textures.  :P

However, bringing back what I said earlier, does the PS2 Wolverine have any problems with the model in XML2 or MUA?  I know while playing XML1 with the animated series skin on PS2, Wolverine's back was sinking in really bad.  I'm not sure if it was a problem with the model or something else.  *shrugs*  I'll try it out when I get home.  Thanks for the find!  :D

EDIT:  While screwing around in class (yay for game design major) I threw the Wolverine skin in XML2 for fun.  The good news is, while standing idle, Wolverine doesn't look like he has a gaping hole in his back like he does on the PS2.  The bad news is, whenever he moves, Wolverine's back looks goofy... just the same as it does on the PS2.  It's hard to explain, but something you'll have to look at in game.  Just look at the mid to upper back and you'll notice part of it points out and moves while he walks/runs.  Small detail, but annoying nonetheless and calls for a fix.

P.S. - Am I right to assume that the skeletons will work too since the models/skins work?  If so, I'll just nab the PS2 version for my PC so I have the files at my disposal in case I need something specific you haven't ripped yet.  Thanks again.

QuoteAm I right to assume that the skeletons will work too since the models/skins work?
As I've already said in our PM exchange, the skeletons work fine both in MUA and XML2 and both BliZZ and I can attest to that :D

As for the back... Probably a rigging problem. I'll see what hexing it can achieve, might be a simple skeleton labeling problem, like the bolton problems I've had with some models from MUA X-Box.

Crimson Dynamo says:

February 12, 2007, 10:33PM #40 Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 01:06AM by Noelemahc
Okay, next step up.

I'll let pictures yell louder than words, and will just add the following: Psylocke looks significantly better, Avalanche still has the polygon problems, PS2 Iceman has a 64x128 texture instead of 64x64 so he looks marginally better, Marrow looks frickin' sweet (mainly because she's the only 256x-er in the bunch)... And so on.
Two new skins - long-haired Ultimate Storm and an alternate Uncanny Nightcrawler (whom I marked as TAS because the overall design does remind me of the animated version).

Archive: http://h1.ripway.com/ivank/XML1/XML1PS2s2.rar
This also includes the Master Mold model, as it's the only Sentinel not appearing in XML2, but it is HUGE and requires a non-standard skeleton, so it's included 'as is'. When we start porting baddies with their skeletons, he'd be an interesting Danger Room course, dontcha think?

P.S. A model got harmed in the process of taking these snaps... Would anyone be kind enough to donate 0202.igb (DD's second costume) to me so I could replace mine?

Crimson Dynamo says:

February 13, 2007, 01:19AM #41 Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 02:08AM by Noelemahc
More gooey fun.

Left to right: Ilyana Rasputin, Moira McTaggert, Morlock Bruiser C, Morlock Bruiser A (he's not REALLY that big, he's just multiplied by Colossus's playerscale, sorry about that XD).

Left to right: Morlock Claw B, Morlock Civilian Male, Morlock Claw C, Morlock Civilian Female.
Archive: http://h1.ripway.com/ivank/XML1/XML1PS2s3.rar
All the other Morlocks are present in XML2. Moira's here because the XML2 model is at the same resolution and I don't really want to suffer through dealing with its mips. Next stop: making a reskin of a PS2 model so I'd be able to write a tutorial on doing that :D

EDIT: Done. Hope it's clear enough for those whom it may concern.

Crimson Dynamo says:

Let's end the day with a bang, shall we?

Left to right: Comatose Ilyana (I honestly didn't think the blanket was nailed to her, she comes off as posessed by spirits), Lab Tech Yellow, Crewman, Kid Anny.

Left to right: Lab Tech Orange, Civilian Male, Civilian Kid, Kid Denise.

Left to right: Bishop Kid, Danger Room Robot Leader, Astral Ghost, Civilian Female.

Left to right: Kid Steve, Danger Room Robot, Fire Demon, Kid Janice.

Note that the kids and the demon were obviously designed with a different skeleton in mind, although all but one of them hold their own pretty well against adult-human-proportioned skeletons :D
Also, all the kids and most of the soldiers from earlier issues actually have TWO models and TWO skinsets per IGB, but I do not know how to make the game show the second one. Yeah. Dangnabbit.

Archive: http://h1.ripway.com/ivank/XML1/XML1PS2s4.rar

Excelsior!

Crimson Dynamo says:

Just an FYI, darkmythology made a high-res version of the Xtreme Psylocke based on Dark Psylocke (just like he did with Ultimate Cyclops), so yours is a little redundant.

Thanks for the rest though. (PS: I'm gonna finish off the last bosses soon, so if you need help with the xml2 scrubs, just holler)

Also, if you don't mind, I'd like to begin organizing all the XML1 and XML2 skins that you and I did into that Mega-Pack, so its less work at the end. Have any objections with that?

QuoteJust an FYI, darkmythology made a high-res version of the Xtreme Psylocke based on Dark Psylocke (just like he did with Ultimate Cyclops), so yours is a little redundant.
Yeah, I know -- he posted it on the firstest page of this thread, remember? I just felt completist-ish. Yeah.

QuoteI'm gonna finish off the last bosses soon, so if you need help with the xml2 scrubs, just holler
Nah, I think I'll manage. XML1's last bastion is a few more robots and a couple of demons and then it's over and I'm moving on to XML2 and the mipmap nightmare of doom. I kinda got used to not having to bother with the mips :D

QuoteAlso, if you don't mind, I'd like to begin organizing all the XML1 and XML2 skins that you and I did into that Mega-Pack, so its less work at the end. Have any objections with that?
Yeah, sure. Sounds like a good idea, actually, though I would like to press the point that you should wait with uploading it until we're 100% done, alright? Just a paranoid thought I had :P

Crimson Dynamo says: