New MUA side missions

Started by Norrin Radd, September 11, 2007, 07:55PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Don't worry man ;)

I don't think it's that big of a deal,but ok :)

I have no powers, my body cannot fly. But I no longer mind, for in my heart and soul -- where it truly matters -- I soar higher than the stars!

Quote from: Norrin Radd on January 31, 2008, 11:58PM
for sure, here are the two steps you should do (i'll use for example the new Mission 3)
1. edit /scripts/extra_missions/nyc/conv.py
change the word "cyclops" to the name of the character you want, using the name from the herostat
2. edit /scripts/act1/stark/talk_fury01.py
change the word "cyclops" to the name of the character you want, using the name from the herostat

if you want to make it so that more characters can come with you, change the line that includes alive("_HEROX_" ), where X-1 is the number of players that will join you
note that Mission 3 is only setup for 2 characters to join, so even if you change this HEROX line for that level, you should only be allowed to have 2 characters max, for more you would have to change the level eng file, which isnt difficult, but it would require several extra steps

Ok, I have the NYC mission working with Spider-Man as the trigger character, and I bring a NYC street level character with me for fun (Moon Knight or Daredevil).

As a note to anyone else who wants to do this, swapping the character name in the two scripts is case sensitive. AND the name is NOT as it appears in the HeroStat. For example, in herostat, the Character Name parameter is "Spider-Man" and his Name parameter is "Spiderman". Neither worked. But I noticed that Norrin has all lower case letters when checking 'wolverine' and 'colossus' so I tried 'spiderman' and it worked. So keep that in mind.

Also, I wasn't able to decompile these py files (like you can for herostat, etc), so I had to use a Hex Editor. But it worked.

Norrin, is the process as clear for swapping the villain? Let's say I wanted Iron Man to take on Crimson Dynamo in the snowstorm setting. Is there just one location where Omega Red is specified?

Anyway, Great work. these are short missions, but a lot of fun. Certainly whets the appetite for the full XML conversions. 

:stark:
Check out issue #74 of Advanced Iron.
Iron Man In Action columnist, Advanced Iron Magazine.
http://www.advancediron.org/

Thanks Norrin :)
It was far too easy for my tastes :)
I had the same problem with exiting, but I didnt really care, I used the portal option to exit :P

February 02, 2008, 02:26PM #123 Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 04:32PM by Norrin Radd
Quote from: brohara on February 02, 2008, 01:08PM
Also, I wasn't able to decompile these py files (like you can for herostat, etc), so I had to use a Hex Editor. But it worked.

Norrin, is the process as clear for swapping the villain? Let's say I wanted Iron Man to take on Crimson Dynamo in the snowstorm setting. Is there just one location where Omega Red is specified?

Anyway, Great work. these are short missions, but a lot of fun. Certainly whets the appetite for the full XML conversions. 

:stark:

1. the py files are just text files, just edit them with a text editor

2. for swapping the villain there is a bit more you need to do, if you want you can start a thread about level modding in the knowledge base or something where we can discuss how to mod levels

*edit*
ok i uploaded a new version which contains the file that allows you to go back to stark mansion after the level is complete
thanks to Onua and TheStorm for reporting the problem

Trust me, it's actually easier to just finish the game and start again with your leveled up characters, or start again with a bunch of mods you've been dying to try. If you're in Asgard, you're halfway through the game anyway.

And all-caps post is a big "no no" in any forum, for the record.

Ok, here is an idea... 

The side missions would expand this game in a way most people could have never dream of... BUT what do you think about this...

Instead of making side missions for a specific character (Colossus/Wolvie/Cyclops)...

WHY NOT MAKING THEM FOR A SPECIFIC TEAM?

Imagine in EACH act (posibly excluding the last act so that the MAIN battle doesn't loose interest) a side mission for a specific Marvel Team.

Examples:

Fantastic Four - If you are playing with this team, you could have side missions with the following mini-bosses:

Dragon Man - Already in game as villain.
           - Stage could be the jungle in XML2
Gladiator - Already in game as villain.
          - don't know which stage...
Doc Doom - not in act 4 nor 5 since it's closer to the final battle
         - Doesn't matter which stage... Doom is all we need ;)
         - He's the MAIN villain, maybe not a good char for a side mission...
SuperSkrull - Same as Dragon Man, already in-game
            - no idea which stage XD

That pretty much makes 4... 1 for each of the 1st 4 acts... The good thing about using chars that are already "in-game" as villains would be to make the mod have better quality and at the same time, don't need to add new stuff...

Same could happen with other groups, like Xmen or Avengers...

X-men - as long as you have all Xmen chars in your group you could face

Brotherhood (a small gang of mini-bosses would be cool... Blob, Avalanche, Pyro and Toad), Magneto, Omega Red, Centinels, or even Apocalypse.

Avengers - as long as you have all Avengers chars in your group you could face:

Wrecking Crew, Destroyer, Kurse, Radioactiveman... you get the idea

I don't know... just throwing the first villains that come to mind, but you guys get the idea.

I think it would be much better to do it with groups, instead of specific chars. This would allow for more "customization"... since you still can choose WHICH of the members of that group to take... and not just take Colossus to do the side mission if you don't like the guy.

Just a thought... let me know what you guys think about it...

Cheers, and GREAT IDEA!!!     

Quote from: Rasdel on February 19, 2008, 06:57PM
Ok, here is an idea... 

The side missions would expand this game in a way most people could have never dream of... BUT what do you think about this...

Instead of making side missions for a specific character (Colossus/Wolvie/Cyclops)...

WHY NOT MAKING THEM FOR A SPECIFIC TEAM?

Imagine in EACH act (posibly excluding the last act so that the MAIN battle doesn't loose interest) a side mission for a specific Marvel Team. 

I think that's a pretty cool idea, however I don't think I'll be spending time making side missions any time soon because I am mainly focusing on this project: http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=1154.0 which takes a lot of time.

Quote from: Rasdel on February 19, 2008, 06:57PM

Dragon Man - Already in game as villain.
           - Stage could be the jungle in XML2
Gladiator - Already in game as villain.
          - don't know which stage...
Doc Doom - not in act 4 nor 5 since it's closer to the final battle
         - Doesn't matter which stage... Doom is all we need ;)
         - He's the MAIN villain, maybe not a good char for a side mission...
SuperSkrull - Same as Dragon Man, already in-game
            - no idea which stage XD

The fact that the villains are already in-game makes it much easier to build the side missions

Thanks Norrin Radd, off to download and play.(wohoo)
And their turning us into Monsters its all designed!!

wow great job norrin! these look awesome! just wondering what else will you be doing with these side missons?

Thanks, I don't think I will be making any more missions for a while because I working on converting the XML1 missions/npcs

whoa! thats a big project. is your progress posted?