Author Topic: A few things I discovered (X-Men Legends 1 related)  (Read 190 times)

Offline Lags

• Uncanny Member
  • Upvotes 3
  • Loves the Generic faceless Soldiers
A few things I discovered (X-Men Legends 1 related)
« on: February 06, 2019, 12:19am »
I've been doing some testing this past week and there were a few things I've discovered. Although, I am late to the party with Marvel Modding. So whatever I put down here that has already been discovered in the past, I'll feel guilty but I won't feel down about it. What matters is that I had lots of fun messing with the game's files. :D I've been doing this with the GameCube version of the game since it was easy to dump my game onto the computer and do testings on an emulator before transferring the completed work back on to my USB drive to be run on my Wii. Since I don't own a PS2 copy or the PC version, I don't know how the file locations are placed or if there are any differences, but I would assume everything operates similarly.

So, let's begin...

1. The herostat
The herostat that sits in the Assetsfb/Data isn't actually the file that points towards heroes (although this could just be for the gamecube version so I can't confirm). The actual one is hidden under the assetsfb/packages/maps/package/permanent.fb. Once extracted with the fb extractor, you'll also find the NPCstat (as well as other interesting things in there) which I assume should also be the actual file that points to NPCs stats in the game. But I haven't gotten with it yet.

As for the herostat, I've had some trouble adding in a new character into it because unlike in XML2, each hero in XML is scripted to be unlocked after a specific mission. If i try adding in a custom character, there's no script for him to be unlocked at the start of the next mission, meaning I can't unlock and test to see if he works at all :(. And this game doesn't have a combination input on the controller to unlock everyone from the start, which by passes the procedures needed to unlock the custom character like in XML2. So for now, I did some skin and bolton hexing into Jubilee's hero.fb file so my little GRSO Skirmisher (and dream character!) is now a playable character. And he does have a GRSO Soldier's voice clips being played instead of Jubilee's.

2. It looks like it MAY be possible make this game into a permanent 4-player Co-Op game like in Rise of Apocalypse. Meaning side-missions that limits the amount of players such as the Astral Plane, Weapon X missions, (and possibly Exploring the mansion as Alison only) can have a party of four to attend these missions. But I'll find that out once I've done a little bit more experimenting with the .eng files for each side mission maps.

Look! 4 heroes on the first mission!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 12:24am by Lags »

Offline Teancum

• Admin
  • Ultimate Member
  • Upvotes 78
Re: A few things I discovered (X-Men Legends 1 related)
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 04:25am »
I can confirm that all maps support 4 players. Even if there's one spawn point all four characters just spawn on top of each other and then spread out. I remember messing with that as I hated how long you had to play as Wolverine and Cyclops only.

Offline BaconWizard17

• Marvel Modder
  • Incredible Member
  • Upvotes 85
  • Sometimes you just gotta go for it, ya know?
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 07:08am »
Very good stuff! Hopefully you can find some more!

Offline KingAdam85

• Fantastic Member
  • Upvotes 16
  • I love to mod Both MUA also i love making bolton's
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 10:34am »
Holy time for me to get exploring :D

Offline Lags

• Uncanny Member
  • Upvotes 3
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 05:34am »
I can confirm that all maps support 4 players. Even if there's one spawn point all four characters just spawn on top of each other and then spread out. I remember messing with that as I hated how long you had to play as Wolverine and Cyclops only.

Excellent. And since it's pretty simple to put recommended/required heroes into a Mission's .eng files as well as changing a side mission's xtraction script to operate like the main story's, a 4-player mod play through from the very beginning can be worked on. I've already been messing around with the abandoned weapon x facility's save points. After attempting to change teams on the second save point encountered (during the part when you already have Wolverine and Havok in the party), player 1 and 3 ends up spawning and falling to their deaths. :P
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 05:42am by Lags »

Offline BaconWizard17

• Marvel Modder
  • Incredible Member
  • Upvotes 85
  • Sometimes you just gotta go for it, ya know?
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 07:01am »
Thatís certainly odd. Maybe they just clip through the floor somehow?

Also Lags, do you have Discord?

Offline Dream Weaver

• Amazing Member
  • Upvotes 19
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 02:31pm »
I know that clipping through the floor to their demise was a glitch that would infrequently occur to me while playing on the PS2 version. Would not surprise me that modding the first game could potentially lead to triggering that bug.

Offline Lags

• Uncanny Member
  • Upvotes 3
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 12:47pm »
Thatís certainly odd. Maybe they just clip through the floor somehow?

Also Lags, do you have Discord?

I don't actually. My internet isn't as great so I never felt the need to make one. And also why I can't be as active on here than I want to be.

I know that clipping through the floor to their demise was a glitch that would infrequently occur to me while playing on the PS2 version. Would not surprise me that modding the first game could potentially lead to triggering that bug.

It happens the same in the GCN as well, and I hope the bug can be fixed. Although it is pretty funny when it happens to the enemies.
As for them falling through the floor after they spawn on the Xtraction point, I assume there's probably no collision under the two players for them to stand on, so they keep falling to their deaths.