Author Topic: X-Men Legends GCN: Full 4 Player Co-Op Mod  (Read 541 times)

Offline Lags

• Uncanny Member
  • Upvotes 3
  • Loves the Generic faceless Soldiers
X-Men Legends GCN: Full 4 Player Co-Op Mod
« on: June 21, 2019, 09:06am »
It's been a while since I've updated, but I had some time recently and got myself busy compiling up this little starters kit on the full 4-player co-op mod for this game, which I'll be releasing shortly. I went through the trouble and edited all the certain maps and made it so it will now include 4 heroes to join in on the action at all times. This will put the mod to a good start in case anyone out there is still interested in modding this game. As far as I've tested, the mod is fully playable and has no game crashing problems. I also included a little starters kit as a separate folder containing another set of files for the missions which will be explained below at list number 2.

What you'll be needing to install this mod:

GCRebuilder - To open your X-Men Legends ISO and replace your assetsfb. Get it here. (I will NOT provide a link to the ISO of any sorts. You'll have to google search it or dump your own copy of X-Men Legends using proper Homebrew tools.)
Dolphin Emulator - To allow you to play Gamecube games on your computer. Quicker access and is much safer to handle than Nintendont if you don't want to risk any damages to your console's system. (I mainly use Nintendont to emulate my gamecube games on my Nintendo Wii for full speed, but Dolphin to showcase work.) You can get the dolphin emulator on their official website here.
Nintendont - Another amazing gamecube emulator which allows you to run your games on your preferred home console through SD card or USB Drive, and it runs games at full speed as if it were an actual hard copy. It requires a bit of work to install and get it to run the games. If you do not have the Homebrew channel installed, you'll have to perform a little extra work before you're able to access Nintendont. Get Nintendont here (I am not responsible for any damages to your console. Carefully follow the instructions and install this at your own risk.)

The mod pack will mostly include:

1. Updated maps allowing all 4 heroes to attend restricted missions as well as exploring the X-Mansion together.
- Each player will share the same spawn point with Player 1's (or any additional down the ladder). They'll push each other a side shortly after the map loads.

2. A Missions folder that contains all the files for each restricted missions, maps, and mansion maps to register heroes.
- There will be two folders with one containing mission files you may edit as you wish which will be the starters kit, and another (that I'm currently using) which is a quick installation that already has characters set up if you just want to replace the files in the assets.wad and play the game right away.
- In early game, additional players will be set as NPCs balanced at the Hero team's level to control as. The streak will stop as you obtain more X-Men when progressing with the story. (This is only done in the Quick Installation set.)
- For certain missions, like the Weapon X Facility with Wolverine and Cyclops, and the Alison Maps, I kept them listed as REQUIRED HEROES to keep the game following with the story. I've also set Alison in most of her solo missions to MUSTLIVEHERO. Meaning players will have to work together and not allow her to fall in battle, other wise, it's an instant gameover.

3. Updated Xtraction points.
- You can now select the change team function in most restricted areas.
- Change team function has also been added to the sub basement for each act to allow early preparation of heroes in the X-Mansion instead of during mission briefing.
- Player 1 will be Alison locked around the mansion to keep it based on the game's original assets, followed by a few selected members of the team.

Download:
(Both sets are included in one whole zip file.)
X-Men Legends: Full 4 Player Co-Op Mod

Notes and Issues:
1. I worked on this while I had Jubilee replaced for a playable GRSO enemy, so if her name and conversation appears differently when talking to her at the mansion, let me know and I'll correct it.
2. There's a small issue when playing missions that doesn't originally allow a full party, nothing game breaking though. When entering to a different zone with all 4 players registered on the screen, it will randomly force players to play as a different active party member and act as if all players are not registered to a hero. I'm not sure if this is a hard coded thing but I'm not too strong with modding on how to get players to remain as their selected heroes when entering to a new zone. Hopefully someone with better knowledge will know how to fix this issue but you'll see what I mean when you encounter the problem. The only way to fix this issue at the moment is to remove and reassign all players every time they enter a new zone.
3. The Xtraction point in the Holding Cells map of the Secret Weapon X mission has been moved to where all heroes spawn when entering the Zone. I replaced it's spawn point with NPC Havok's original spawn point to prevent heroes clipping through the ground after you leave the character selection screen. There's also a small collision in the middle of the xtraction point, but the issue gets fixed after entering and leaving the character selection screen.
4. Respective spawn points still need to be set for each player rather than having them all share the same one.

If there are any more issues that I missed or any questions needed to be asked, please let me know and I will try my best to get to it as soon as possible.

I will also be providing a video playthrough of maps (specifically the restricted missions) to show how the progress has been.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 08:04am by Lags »

Offline Lags

• Uncanny Member
  • Upvotes 3
Re: X-Men Legends (GCN) Full 4 Player Co-Op Mod: Starters Kit
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 09:07am »
Video Previews

New York City (Mission 1)
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Mansion Exploration

Magma Danger Room (First attempt)

Magma Danger Room (Second attempt)

Weapon X (Flashback)

Muir Island

Astral Plane

Weapon X (Secret)

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 07:06am by Lags »

Offline BaconWizard17

• Marvel Modder
  • Incredible Member
  • Upvotes 85
  • Sometimes you just gotta go for it, ya know?
Re: X-Men Legends GCN: Full 4 Player Co-Op Mod
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 07:49am »
This is incredible stuff! Wow! Good job!

Offline Teancum

• Admin
  • Ultimate Member
  • Upvotes 78
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 09:47pm »
I just modded my Wii U. Time to install this!

As an aside, I wish I had time to back-port some XML2 characters. I thought about porting Bishop back to XML1. It'd be fun to have Bishop have some text-only reaction to seeing his younger self in New York. I think there's only room for one extra character as Angel is the only additional character icon, but I don't know that for sure.

Offline BaconWizard17

• Marvel Modder
  • Incredible Member
  • Upvotes 85
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 07:49am »
It would definitely be cool to have some modded characters in XML1

Offline Lags

• Uncanny Member
  • Upvotes 3
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 07:40am »
Glad you guys are trying it out! Let me know if you encounter any thing, and I'll try my best to make fixes. As for custom characters I would also love to try adding some in as well. For now, i know the only current way to get a character added to the roster while progressing through the game is by replacing an existing X-Men's files. And speaking of that, with this next updated video preview that is set on the Weapon X Secret mission, which you can find the links on my second post, you'll also get to see my GRSO enemy in action. He has no powers, however and plays just like a GRSO Skirmisher in the Danger Room. :P

The best part about this mission is that Havok no longer spawns as an NPC and you get to temporarily play as him! He is pretty much how he plays in the Danger Room.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 07:42am by Lags »

Offline BaconWizard17

• Marvel Modder
  • Incredible Member
  • Upvotes 85
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 04:47pm »
Thatís really awesome! Do you think the temporarily playable NPC thing is possible on other maps? It would be neat to add Sabretooth as a playable on the weapon x flashback

Offline Lags

• Uncanny Member
  • Upvotes 3
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 09:36pm »
The temporarily NPC thing is possible since all you gotta do is just add them into the mission's .eng file for them to load. Pretty easy to do since it the files work pretty similar to the herostat. However, there were some cases where I tried adding NPCs like Xavier's champions such as Ultimate Predator or Champion of Rhodes as substitutes for the the Astral Mission, and it caused the game to crash after Xavier leaves the party. It just makes me thinks that since the NPC doesn't belong in that mission, the game won't be able to read them.

I'll also put this little text file about setting up heroes into missions here, since I forgot to add it into the mod pack.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/hgkc1vajzin5v17/How+to+add+characters+to+missions.txt
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 09:48pm by Lags »

Offline jayglass

• Fantastic Member
  • Upvotes 48
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2019, 01:42pm »
I've also added new skins to the game
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 02:09pm by jayglass »

Offline jayglass

• Fantastic Member
  • Upvotes 48

Offline Teancum

• Admin
  • Ultimate Member
  • Upvotes 78
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2019, 09:13am »
However, there were some cases where I tried adding NPCs like Xavier's champions such as Ultimate Predator or Champion of Rhodes as substitutes for the the Astral Mission, and it caused the game to crash after Xavier leaves the party. It just makes me thinks that since the NPC doesn't belong in that mission, the game won't be able to read them.
Correct. If the character is not in the herostat then they will have to be loaded from the map's FB file. So in the case of Astral Gladiator Prof X, since his files aren't inside anything but the Astral Arena FB file, he won't load there. One fix would be to add the NPC to every level, but of course that's a lot of work.

Offline Lags

• Uncanny Member
  • Upvotes 3
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2019, 08:56pm »
Correct. If the character is not in the herostat then they will have to be loaded from the map's FB file. So in the case of Astral Gladiator Prof X, since his files aren't inside anything but the Astral Arena FB file, he won't load there. One fix would be to add the NPC to every level, but of course that's a lot of work.

Hmm, that gives me an idea. I've originally wanted to use an Acolyte Warrior and Adept as substitute players for the very first Astral Mission but when Xavier leaves the party, both characters crash the game when progressing before you save Illyana. Since we can easily hex their files into the FB, I might have to test it out before I get the chance to record the Astral play through.

Offline Teancum

• Admin
  • Ultimate Member
  • Upvotes 78
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2019, 05:14pm »
So here's a much easier way to get to a level select by starting a new game.

alison.py
Code: [Select]
startMovie("r102", "afterMovie")
waitsignal("afterMovie")
#UNLOCK AND LEVEL UP BEFORE STARTING
awardXPToPlayable(90000)
setInCampaign("beast", "TRUE" )
setInCampaign("colossus", "TRUE" )
setInCampaign("cyclops", "TRUE" )
setInCampaign("frost", "TRUE" )
setInCampaign("gambit", "TRUE" )
setInCampaign("iceman", "TRUE" )
setInCampaign("jubilee", "TRUE" )
setInCampaign("bishop", "TRUE" )
beginMission("haarp" )

#loadMap("nyc/alison/nyc1_1_1")

Just make sure you have anyone you need unlocked. For example in this test I don't have Magma, so if I select her it will crash.

Also I HIGHLY recommend using 7-zip for assetsfb.zip editing. Much faster save times, and Windows kept corrupting the zip after 10 or so edits.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 05:16pm by Teancum »