Beast Character Mod (Cohollow)

Started by Cohollow, December 01, 2019, 10:38PM

Previous topic - Next topic
December 01, 2019, 10:38PM Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 08:18PM by Cohollow
:beast: Beast Character Mod :beast:

Brains meets brawn in this fully realized Beast mod. Built as an agile bruiser, Hank's well designed to go from target to target with ease. Attacks that afford a wide range of style and effects give Beast a solution to every problem. Right the wrong of Beasts absence as a playable character with this dope character mod! 

Beast: http://www.mediafire.com/file/av9ls749mr5tq5d/Beast_Mod_%2528Cohollow%2529.7z/file
Add this file to reduce the skill count of shared skills like mutant master, and to add the striker passive that i will be adding to some characters!
Shared Talents: https://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,10916.msg199255.html#msg199255

Abilities

Attacks

Sharp Check Swipes at the target, before delivering a powerful shoulder check with knockback.

Execution - Relatively basic like most starting attacks, with the added bonus of doing two strikes (each attack does less damage than your typical starter). The second hit can be directed to hit a second target and do knockback. Beast steps forward during attack instead of doing a short slide to the target, making the attack feel much smoother.

Furball Curled into a ball, Beast rolls forward, battering enemies on impact. (press and hold)

Execution - Much like any bruiser charge attack but with less damage, less knockback, and better turning. Well suited as a controlled travel attack. Good for travel as it unlocks early, allowing ep cost to be kept low.

Corrosive Concoction Throws exploding canisters of a deadly mixture, doing radiation damage over time.

Execution - The lack of enemies with radiation resistance makes this attack effective against nearly enemy type. With decent range, a wide spread, and decent blast radius, this move is well suited for dealing with the more mobile and ranged mobs.

Propeller Kick A spinning hand stand knocks nearby enemies off their feet.

Execution - Beasts signature radial attack. Well suited for tripping up surrounding enemies to give Beast an edge over thick mobs.

Ravage Rush towards the target, and deliver a flurry of clawed swipes with increased critical chance.

Execution - A very useful attack for closing in on distant, and ranged enemies. With multiple strikes, and an increase critical hit chance, this move has the highest damage potential of all of Beasts basic powers. Be sure to compensate for the short wind up of this attack when necessary.

Zap Trap Sets a small trap that sends out a radial wave of electricity when enemies are near.

Execution - The electricity damage of Zap Trap can be very effective at dealing with physical resistant enemies. A useful set it and forget it attack that can stun and damage enemies for a time while Beast is free to move onto other enemies and attacks.

Pouncing Pound Leaps forward, causing a radial ground smash on landing, knocking back surrounding enemies.

Execution - Another travel attack that adds to Beasts agile repertoire. A more controlled and accurate version of colossus' and toad's leaping pound attacks. Pouncing Pound is very effective at breaking up thick mobs near and far. A great tool for getting small mobs away from the buffs of mob leaders.

Xtremes

ORBITAL BOMBARDMENT Calls powerful lasers down to smite enemies.

Execution - A more unique Xtreme attack for a bruiser character, Orbital Bombardment is Beasts only energy damage move. This Xtreme is able to hit enemies on the other side of walls and hits with pinpoint accuracy.

BEASTIAL AWAKENING Beast resurrects himself from the dead if he dies within boost lifetime.

Execution - Just like Sabretooth and Wolverines revive Xtremes. This move is very useful when facing down enemies you expect may be able to down Beast.

Boosts

Berserk The animal within is let loose, adding bleed damage to all physical attacks for a time.

Execution - Powers that hit as many enemies as possible are a great way to spread this bleed damage.

Formulate Beast coordinates the team, reducing EP cost, and increasing the level of all skills.

Execution - Formulate is the other side of the buff coin, improving the effectiveness of the entire team. The reduced EP helps to counteract the cost of increased skills. I've never had a desire to use skill increasing boosts with anyone as i tend to keep my powers at an affordable skill level. Anyone who feels the same may enjoy this version of this boost type.

Passives

Uncaged Instincts and cunning allow an increase in attack and critical hit chance. Increases to reveal cloaked enemies (level 7).

Execution - The increase to critical chance makes this type of passive more useful for those who don't get much use out of attack due to their play style.

Tameless Reflexes Increases chance to dodge melee attacks. Increases to unlock double jump attacks (level 7).

Execution - By far my favorite passive for its added agility moves. The double jump results in radial damage upon landing. The dodge chance and ability to jump off walls with the double jump is a big help for keeping from getting cornered. Some locations are no longer out of reach with the help of double jump.

Leadership Increases entire teams combo xp gain, and critical chance

Execution - as expected

Might Can lift heavy objects and damage reinforced walls.

Execution - as expected

Mutant Master Increases EP regeneration rate.

Execution - as expected

Other Features

- Many minor changes to abilities that are not listed such as damage, EP cost, added sounds, improved effects, etc
- Features additional skins made by BaconWizard17 and Teancum
- Now uses one skeleton
- All passives require 3 less skill points

Credits

- Skins -

BaconWizard17
be sure to check out BaconWizard17's great work here:
http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,9904.0.html

Teancum
be sure to check out Teancum's great work here:
https://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,10642.0.html

UltraMegaMagnus
be sure to check out UltraMegaMagnus' great work here:
https://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,10212.0.html

- Hud Heads -

BaconWizard17

Teancum
be sure to check out Teancum's great work here:
https://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,10642.0.html

- Icons -

BaconWizard17

Big thanks to many community members for continued assistance and support!

I love it dude! You church out better-than-Ravensoft quality mods!

Dude... Beast went from kinda meh for me, To one of my Go To, Must Have characters with your mod! He FEELS like BEAST. Finally got my girlfriend into the game, and she ADORES playing as him too. Thank you bro.

I would like to ask though, Is it possible for him to use Nightcrawler's Walk / Idle for his cartoon ape walk and posture? I'm still trying to hammer how animations work into my dumb brain, but am nowhere near good enough to do it myself yet. Least of all without express permission from you.

You have no idea how perfectly timed this comment is. I was just telling some homies I might hang up the modding for a time when u gave me a kick ass morale boost. thx homie!

So about your idea to have Beast on all fours like Nightcrawler. I wish I could say that can be done but there are very tight limitations on what animations can be used by a character. A character can only utilize the animations that come with the fightstyle that u use. This Beast mod uses the beast from the first game meaning his animations are very limited as XML1 only had a small handful of powers for each character. A buff, 2 attacks, and an Xtreme. Tho there are animations called shared animations that can be used by any character. These consist of the common animations that are used by most characters such as jump, dodge, etc. In order to get the wide range of powers for this mod I had to chain together many different animations in different ways to get the desired effects.

Feel free to zone out as I'm about to get a lil too technical. His leap and pound attack for example uses 3 animations all stitched together in the coding of his powerstyle. It starts with the jump land which gives him the short crouch before he jumps. then it chains to one of his original basic combo attacks that has him do a quick front flip in the middle of his combo. To make the front flip accelerate forward I added one of the charge handlers used in rush attacks like Siberian express (colossus) It then chains to jump land once more to add extra wieght to the animation when he slams into the ground to deliver a radial blast... I'm rlly sorry for getting so long winded, but i love talking about mah boi! His rush move uses 5 diff animations all with diff controls and handelers to make it function smoothly and efficiently :P

Any who I won't continue to geek out over animations. I hope my unnecessarily long winded answer was informative XD

February 15, 2020, 08:01PM #4 Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 08:06PM by ariesxj
"You have no idea how perfectly timed this comment is. I was just telling some homies I might hang up the modding for a time when u gave me a kick ass morale boost. thx homie!"
Why? If you're just tired of it or if you need more personal/professional time, of course. There are few of us that still love it but *it is just a game after all*, but you've done a great job so far. I'm sure it takes way more time than most have. I was going to ask if you had anyone else on your roster.

Cohollow, I'm in the process of converting Beast over for Game Cube users, and I'm having trouble downloading the shared talent off Sendspace. Will it be alright for you to upload it to another host? :)

Here ya go. Managed to archive this before Sendspace started having issues. I hope Cohollow doesn't mind- http://www.mediafire.com/file/n412cgh5ci7y1x1/shared_talents.7z/file

February 16, 2020, 10:14PM #8 Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 10:19PM by jayglass
I've converted beast to gamecube already.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/b0rhwm52oom1hng/beast.zip/file

"Why? If you're just tired of it or if you need more personal/professional time, of course." I made a couple mistakes in file management and lost all the data for the version I build all my mods on. Fortunately with some help from Jake I recovered most of what I lost but took a big morale hit. Im still putting different things back the way they should be whenever new unforseen issues arrise so I very nearly just said piss on it and gave up.

To answer your other question I do have some other homies lined up to be built and released. Unstoppable Colossus and Avalanche are due to be released... and have been due for awhile now. After that I have my eyes on a couple others as far as full character mods go. I suspect Psylocke will be the next character mod but I wouldnt wait up for it. I had planned to be working on Psylocke already but then I ended up doing unstoppable colossus instead.

When it comes to boosters, Blob and Gambit are about ready for rerelease. I hope to release a few boosters that Ive already released with some updates to improve game play. Hopefully it won't be long before I get to work on Jean (already done a bit with her) but I very much expect to get distracted by some other unplanned project

February 17, 2020, 09:44AM #10 Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 09:47AM by Lags
Quote from: jayglass on February 16, 2020, 10:14PM
I've converted beast to gamecube already.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/b0rhwm52oom1hng/beast.zip/file

That is true, but I'll be converting Cohollow's version of Beast, as well as crediting him as the creator. I just took your Beast mod (jayglass) for a test run and compared the differences between yours and his.
And, while testing your Beast mod's powers, I noticed there are a few things that you could really fix. I won't list them here because this isn't the right place, but if you need me to send you a list of things that needs updating, just let me know. :)

Lags, I'm glad your converting Beast so more XML fans can get some fun outta him! Can't wait to get my dumb brain wrapped around how to use the dolphin emulator and give both your work and Jayglass' a go!

February 18, 2020, 07:25AM #13 Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 10:52AM by Lags
No problem! Just doing what i can for the community. I do my best to help gamecube players so they can also have the same experience as if they were playing the mod on the PC, despite the small things the gamecube currently has to offer.

:beast:   Beast Sound Fix Update   :beast:

Spacedude pointed out a dumb mistake i made that resulted in Beasts voice lines not working. This is fixed! Download the new update and get those call outs working properly!