Author Topic: The XML -> MUA Project ?? (old)  (Read 21245 times)

Offline BliZZ

• Invincible Member
Re: The XML -> MUA Project ??
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2007, 06:50pm »
Yeah, well, I personally think 4 is enough. Sure, you'll be missing some, but I don't think it is deterring enough to hurt anyone. YOu can always change which 4 costumes YOU have individually, same with MUA. Here is the question: Does anyone REALLY care if the mannequin is the same costume as the base costume? For instance: Cyclops' base costume is Astonishing. Rather than re-model Astonishing, I propose his mannequin be Jim Lee/Classic (I know, dlc's Classic is GSXM#1, but Jim Lee is superior). Is anyone gonna shoot themself if the mannequin is Classic, but his first costume is Astonishing?

Offline DJay Saint

• Marvel Modder
  • Invincible Member
  • Scars heal, pain fades, but glory lasts forever.
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2007, 08:29pm »
Is anyone gonna shoot themself if the mannequin is Classic, but his first costume is Astonishing?

I might.  :rofl:
Some day, someone will best me.  But it won't be today, and it won't be you.

The artist formerly known as Burning Rage.

Offline Cates

• Incredible Member
  • Marvel's First Family
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2007, 08:31pm »
I say ANY mannequin is better than the empty field which is now my current MUA load screen.

Offline DJay Saint

• Marvel Modder
  • Invincible Member
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2007, 08:32pm »
It was just a joke...  I think we should have Cyc's Jim Lee costume in there though.  Jim Lee was t3h awesome in that he made most x-men look awesome.  The Jury is still out on Jean's costume, but the rest are great.  I wonder why they neglected those in XML2?  Even in XML1, where Wolverine's was present, the PS2 model was screwed up, so it's almost unusable because of how distracting it is, and the x-box model looks like junk in game because of the low detail and artifacting around the lines.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 08:35pm by Burning Rage »

Offline Cates

• Incredible Member
  • Marvel's First Family
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2007, 08:39pm »
I sort of gathered that from the little laughing guy . .  .

Anyway, I'm in for helping out on this. I've done Pyro and Sunfire and have done the beginnings of a Blob mod.

As for the roster, the Brotherhood selections are perfect; that's pretty much the quintessential brotherhood list. I agree with Blizz that I'd rather see Jubes than Polaris. The soft spot in my heart for the New Mutants would love to see Cannonball and Sunspot in there with Magma, but I know I'm reaching there.

Offline Teancum

• Admin
  • Invincible Member
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2007, 10:00pm »
I've got only one other small issue.  The Defense stat needs to be moved out of four outfits and as one passive power.  That's a lot less spending per-outfit that can go elsewhere.

I 3rd replacing Polaris with Jubilee.  But my thought was to do the initial 27 then alternates after the mod is released to replace characters.

I'm going to test the theory I had for the 8 costumes.  If it works there's no real reason not to include it.  Should have results by Tuesday sometime.

Offline BliZZ

• Invincible Member
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2007, 03:23am »
I've got only one other small issue.  The Defense stat needs to be moved out of four outfits and as one passive power.  That's a lot less spending per-outfit that can go elsewhere.

While I agree that it sucks, the fact that they built they system like this compels me to think that we should leave it as is.

Jim Lee = Awesome, btw.

Here are my thoughts on possible mannequins (I think they should match base costumes, so I'm trying to think that out)

Officials
Wolvy = Street clothes- hate the costume but we should leave well enough alone atm
Iceman = Classic- Good enough for me. I don't even think he needs an iced-down for the mansion, who says he wouldn't Ice up at the mansion?
Storm = Astonishing- Leave well enough alone, again
Colossus = Ultimate- Why ONLY he of the X-Men has Ultimate as a base costume is beyond me. Oh well, I guess we can use a myriad of base costumes :P

DLCers
Nightcrawler = You've already heard my suggestion here
Mags = Re-model Helmetless, this time WITHOUT the white line of death. Then, skin it as 80s for usability and Classic (with a bolt-on helmet tucked under his arm) for mannequin. Sweet, No?
Cyc = We get a fresh model of Jim Lee, instead of circa GSXM#1, and we simply switch place in game of Classic/Astonishing.
Sabretooth = Modern and Original are WAY too similar for it to be worth the effort. SO move Modern to Original's slot, rename it to 'Classic', and get a Weapon X skin/mannequin for Modern slot

Customs
Rogue = Jim Lee/Classic
Juggernaut = Ultimate (military pants, not blue pants)
Gambit = Ultimate- Not fake Ultimate like they currently have
Bishop = Original/TAS
Scarlet Witch = Ultimate (from Ultimate Power)
Toad = Classic/Jester Costume
Sunfire = Armored Costume (put him in Torch's slot w/ a hovering anim, that way we don't have to remove the flames :P)
Pyro = Either Ultimate or House of M (preferably Ultimate because everything HoM sucks)

I tried to list at least all chars who were done or official.

Offline DJay Saint

• Marvel Modder
  • Invincible Member
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2007, 05:57am »
I actually don't like Gambit's ultimate outfit.  I like his Jim Lee's much better.  I would rather have Jim Lee mannequins than the ultimate stuff.

On Jubilee, I honestly think she's a steaming pile, and would much rather have Polaris.  However, since she seems to be Wolverine's lackey, and for some reason only God knows, people seem to like her, so I guess she's in.  They made her look ultimately retarded in XML1, just so you know.

Offline BliZZ

• Invincible Member
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2007, 11:37am »
Yes, but the Modern reskin makes for a great Jim Lee Gambit, whereas we can't make an adequate Gambit with any of the existing models.

Offline Teancum

• Admin
  • Invincible Member
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2007, 01:41pm »
Are we gonna need to do a bunch of RGB to BGR pallete swaps if we're using PS2 textures?  If we're gonna have to that's reason enough to go back to XML2.  I mean if we gotta palette swap we're talking 1500+ textures.

Offline BliZZ

• Invincible Member
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2007, 01:47pm »
NO, PS2 textures don't require the palette swap.

Offline BliZZ

• Invincible Member
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2007, 02:27pm »
More Mannequin suggestions!

1. Avalanche = Classic?? (while it could be a modern reskin, the armor IS shaped differently (wider shoulderpads)) If not, X-Corps
2. Blob = Classic?
3. Mystique = Classic (white suit)
4. Quicksilver = Ultimate (stick to the same version as Witch, I'd say)
5. Beast = Astonishing or Jim Lee- I figure we'll need models for both eventually, seeing as they are drastically different from any models we currently have
6. Angel = Ultimate or Modern- he's in the same boat as Beast
7. Phoenix = Jim Lee
8. Psylocke = Ninja Outfit?? (the one with the bandana)
9. Emma = Astonishing OR New X-Men (pantsuit)
10. Magma = Something??? (Pfft if I know Magma costumes, she's only on the roster cause she was central to XML1 :laugh:)
11. Jubilee = Classic/TAS

Offline Teancum

• Admin
  • Invincible Member
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2007, 02:49pm »
This is a bit off-topic, but the 'box version of the XML1 project'll probably be on the XML2 engine.  I think it's just a safer jump personally.

On-topic concerns:
1-The ever-present cel-shading issue.  Magneto, the guns, and probably some of the minions are going to have troubles.
2-No Danger Room.  Missing entirely from the main menu, and the GRADE verb found in the XML1/2 xmlbs isn't present in the MUA executable.
3-Mannequins.  Seriously, that's some major work. 
4-The ActA-ActJ setup.  I'm 99.9% sure the verb SetCurrentAct() is numeric which means A-Z characters wouldn't work.  Plus we don't know the maximum number of acts are.  Keeping XML1 and XML2 split would remedy this, plus open up the roster a bit more.
5-XML2 already has 11 (12 counting Xavier) X-Men already made.  That means if we must split XML1/2 for sure we can pack in characters a lot faster.  (Yeah, I realize MUA conversions aren't that hard, but they aren't bug-free either)

Anyways, that's my list of concerns.  Seems a lot just to get in-air powers and grab-smashes.  XML2 has a ch_grab_hold character handler which is probably close enough anyhow.

Offline BliZZ

• Invincible Member
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2007, 03:07pm »
I'm going to address this as best I can.

1- Noel and I converted ALL skins. ALL of them. Helmetless Magneto, Modern Bishop's Right Gun, and the guns of the Mercenaries. That is it for the models that experience this.
2- Sure, but the various GRADEs of dr were filler anyway. How many times do I need to practice the 'Trip' combo? Main menu DR's being missing is sad to EVERYONE.
3- Ditto. I agree, but hopefully, given time, someone'll get em done.
4- A-J was a suggestion. If it doesn't work- try, try again.
5- After a LOT of work, I consider Gambit & Juggernaut bug-free. The goal will be to get ALL of them like this. I want chars as official-ish as possible, trust you me.

Splitting XML1/2 into 2 games kinda defeats the whole purpose, imo. I can already play XML1 and 2 separately. Playing them together is a new experience, though.

MUA's engine has more then in-air powers and grab-smashes going for it. Support for custom models is a big un. Plus, advanced lighting ain't too shabby.

Offline darkmythology

• Fantastic Member
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2007, 04:44pm »
I've been absurdely busy lately (hence the no noticable work on ANY of my projects for the past month), but if I can help out or if any of my expertises are needed, just drop me a PM or let me know what you'd like. I still manage to read the site somehow, just not so much modding or posting lately.