Modding Rundown: FBs

Started by Teancum, June 19, 2007, 04:46PM

Previous topic - Next topic
June 19, 2007, 04:46PM Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 10:36PM by Teancum
WHAT ARE FBs?

FBs are a console/PSP specific way of storing all the files needed for a character or level.  In very loose terms it's sortof like a zip file.  All files needed for a particular character or level are stored inside. 

IS THERE A FB EDITOR?

Yes and no.  There's not a way to simply drag and drop files.  You must use a hex editor to insert, remove and change files.

FILE STRUCTURE

FBs are made up of two parts: the header and the file itself.  The header is also broken up into three smaller parts: The file's directory and name, the file type (for in-game use) and the filesize.  Together these make up 196 bytes.  (BYTES: on the left side of a hex editor that means two digits - on the right side it means one left/right move of the cursor)

The first 128 bytes (seen in blue) are the filename and folder.  Notice this isn't actually a folder, it's just the path of where the file would be.  00's fill up the rest of this section.

The next 64 bytes (seen in red) is the file type.  This is used in-game to specify things.  Basically there's no need to edit this.  Again, 00's fill up the empty space.

The last four bytes (seen in yellow) is the file size.  This is done in reverse hexidecimal.  See 'Editing the Filesize' below for more info.

After the header, the actual file data begins, and continues until the next header is started (as noted by a new folder/filename).

Inserting new files

The easiest way to do this is to copy the entire entry (from the header to the last byte before the next header) and paste it just before the start of a header in a new file.  Sometimes you can't do that though.  Say you change ps_gambit.engb.  Well, odds are there's one in the FB we're putting it into, so we want to replace that.  So we find it by searching for it in the hex editor.  Next we go to the end of the header.  The next byte after the header is the first byte of the actual file.  The last byte of the actual file is the last byte before the next header.  So we highlight all of that.  Next, open your new ps_gambit.engb in a hex editor and select all.  Go back to your FB and paste in the area you've selected.  We're nearly done, but we need to do one last thing, fix the filesize.

Editing the filesize

Looking at the example above we see the filesize as 1F 7B 01 00. First thing we do is turn that around to 00 01 7B 1F.  Next, we visit THIS site and input 00017B1F in the left box and hit 'to decimal'.  It comes out as 97055.  That's how many bytes a file is.  So if we were putting a new file in as a replacement for one already there, we'd get the filesize of the file we're replacing by right clicking it and hitting properties.  We get the ##### bytes under the Size: section.  Then we just reverse the process.

looks damn complicated. Got time I will try. Thanks for the info!

I would like to add that you can get a very good free hex editor here: http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delphi/freeware/xvi32/xvi32.htm

It has several handy features, one of them being able to internally convert decimals to hex and vice versa.

is there one fb package that contains all the texture igbs, or are they only located withing each map/character?
Please search the forum before asking a question. I dont answer
PMs about modding, those questions should be posted in a public thread.
What im currently working on: http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=2275.0
My mods are mine to booster/update, I will not give anybody permission to do it

August 04, 2007, 02:06PM #4 Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 02:12PM by Norrin Radd
there are many fb files containing different things.

for example in XML2 there are character fbs (which contain character igbs and talents, powerstyle, icons, boltons, etc.) in
\packages\generated\characters
and maps in
\packages\generated\maps\actx\y\
where x is the act and y is the name for the "level"

I think nodoubt is wondering about whether there is an FB file that contains the whole collection of textures from the game (just like the texture folder in the PC version) rather than looking in the characters FB and maps FB...

yeah what iammingy said, rignt now i cant locate a specific igb I need (Ms Marvel - fire4.igb, for use in XML2), its not in any of her (or Human Torch/Ghostrider) character packages or in the maps ive looked at.
What im currently working on: http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=2275.0

my bad, when you said character i thought you meant character skins/meshes

August 04, 2007, 02:43PM #8 Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 02:45PM by iammingy
fire4? I remember what fire4 is... :laugh:

fire4 is just the texture used for flames. I think you can substitute it with the ones used in XML2..?

EDIT: Here, this is what it looks like:

ok i kind of figured it was something about fire, thanks

edit: but if anyone still knows if there is a fb package with all the texture igbs please let us know

might they just be in the "textures" folder? Not every file was in an fb.

i found fire4.igb.
yee-a me. haha
its in common_ents_assests.fb

edit:
in \packages\generated

:bowdown1: :bowdown1: thanks, i was going crazy looking through every map, lol, never even thought to look at other packages.  thanks :) .

LOL Hey, I just saw it there too! ^_^

Some other textures IGB files seem to be hidden in the PS files from packages\generated\powerstyles in XML2... I think it should be the same for MUA..?

thanks everyone, i really need to go through all the packages and see what each one has