How to convert XML1 stuff (includes UltimateAlphabetizerV1.2, extentConverterV1)

Started by Norrin Radd, August 06, 2007, 04:12PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Thanks, I knew there was a simple workaround.  I'll check out the the level eng, as zone/spawn scripts were getting overwritten by other scripts that re-activate AI.  Been awhile since I looked at it actually, I'll update you when I know more.

I think they may have have removed Magma's (and other fire character) bridge forming ability and replaced it with the magnetic one, since xml2. I was able to get Polaris to form a bridge by adding some code in the level, but I wasn't able to build a bridge using fire, here is a pic of the metal bridge:

To build a bridge you should have the following lines in your powerstyle:
      damagetype = dmg_magnetic ;
         damageMod {
         name = dmgmod_environment ;
         }

where dmg_magnetic can be changed to dmg_telekinesis for a phsycic bridge or dmg_cold for an ice bridge. To form Magma's bridge you should be able to do dmg_fire, but it does not seem to work.

To extinguish a fire you should have the following line:
         damageMod {
         name = dmgmod_extinguish ;
         }

To be able to weld things, you should have:
         damageMod {
         name = dmgmod_weld ;
         }

Maybe I'm speaking out of ignorance, but is it possible that they're are just some models missing?  I'm sure you've already thought of that, but thought I'd throw that out there just in case.

Quote from: Teancum on June 13, 2008, 04:49PM
Maybe I'm speaking out of ignorance, but is it possible that they're are just some models missing?  I'm sure you've already thought of that, but thought I'd throw that out there just in case.

I think Magma's bridge models already came with MUA-PC :P

The models exist. Nothing happens when you use dmg_fire, but when you use dmg_magnetic, even if the model is missing (which it is, since i had to steal one from xml2 and also steal some level code) the bridge icon dissapears. The game doesnt seem to recognize the dmg_fire as activating a bridge. If you search Game.exe you will see near reactpower there is tkbridge icebridge and metalbridge (there is also tkbridge magmabridge and icebridge earlier in Game.exe but that is not for recognizing the power)

If you truly wanted to do xml1, you could put a dmg_magnetic in magma's entry, and put a magma bridge model in place of the metal bridge i suppose.

unless i am missing something, which is very possible

Some recent discoveries:

1. Motionpaths from XML1 do convert and work in MUA. These motionpaths can be made to move tanks  and other objects.

2. An additional animation file can be used in each level. This file needs to be included in the pkg file, and must have the name "zone_LEVEL.igb", where LEVEL is the complete name of the level. Anything other than this name it may not work properly. XML1 include these types of files except they must be renamed from mission_XXX to zone_xxx and a new one must be created for each level (because of the level name), as opposed to how xml1 used a single one for multiple levels. This also means that levels should not have the same names.

3. For those who are not aware of the problem with models disappearing, I will post a picture of the problem that BliZZ took:

I seem to have found a solution to this problem, although it may only be a temporary solution. The reason why I say it may be temporary is because it seems to solve the problem for a single level, but the problem may appear later on while playing. I have found that the game can only handle so many "model" entries in the pkg file. For example if you have too many in there, it will remove your character huds, and your menus will look like in the picture above. This problem is especially present in levels with wall tiles, since there are many wall tile models, which can be put in the pkg file.

I have found that by not including models in the pkg file, this problem does not occur (at least for a single level). This problem may occur later in the game even if the solution I proposed is used, so more testing is needed before saying this is the correct solution, but this solution definately helps.

----How to convert death sounds in level _m sound files---

It seems that the xml1 death sounds are not directly compatible with MUA, they have an a,b,c,.. style instead of 0,1,2. You can change them into MUA style by doing the following:

1. Decompile the level eng file that refers to the sound file being converted. Replace the death_styles in lines like:
Quotedeathsound = death_styles/ds_wood_s ;
with death_style, so it looks like:
Quotedeathsound = death_style/ds_wood_s ;

2. Make a sound file, import all the xml1 sounds, and for all the death_style sounds (starting with ds_) find new hashes with Zsm Editor and replace the old ones. Then save the new file.

*Example*
Using Zsm Editor, go to 'Text to Hash' (F3), then enter the text for the death sound. As an example, lets say in the level sound file there are the sounds ds_glass_l_a and ds_glass_l_b. The text to get the hash is:
Quotedeath_style/ds_glass_l/***RANDOM***/0
Use the hash you get after conversion for ds_glass_l_a (replace the old hashes in the Events tab), and add one to that hash for ds_glass_l_b. If there are ds_glass_l_c and more, keep adding one to the hash each time. If there is only one of the death sounds (only ds_glass_l_a), the text to get the hash should be:
Quotedeath_style/ds_glass_l

After following these steps, the object death sounds will work in game.

Thanks.

----How to add melee swing sounds in xml1 level _m sound files---
The xml1 levels don't seem to have normal melee sounds. To add melee sounds to xml1 soundsets, add the whoosh-heavy and whoosh sounds from MUA levels to the _m xml1 level sounds. This way you will be able to hear melee swing sounds. Also add the 'hit' and 'block' sounds.

For example, when you are importing sounds with Zsm Editor, and you import sounds from heli1_m.zsm, you will see three whoosh-heavy and three whoosh sounds. checkmark the Auto copy option and drag those files into the xml1 _m level soundset.

Aside:
you'll also want to import the 'xtraction' and 'extraction' sounds so the extraction points have sounds

I had some thoughts for the main menu.  I'm getting a video capture unit (GameBridge), and I figured I'd record the spinning Cerebro menu by removing all the menu options in the xml files and loading up the game.  Once I get 2-3 rotations recorded it should be easy to loop.  I'll also look into recording the mission briefings as well.

You would want to record the mission breifings just because the anims don't seem to work? Talking anims can be used to make people look like their talking and characters can be made to turn to face each other. But to each his own i guess.

If it's not an issue to record it then it seems to make sense.  I mean I guess there's the whole cel-shaded vs MUA's non-cel shaded thing, but it sure would help keep cutscene coding time down, there's quite a few briefings in the game.

Briefings are really easy to convert, but if you can capture them i am somewhat curious to see how they would turn out

Quote from: Norrin Radd on June 16, 2008, 11:22AM
3. For those who are not aware of the problem with models disappearing, I will post a picture of the problem that BliZZ took:

I finally hit this problem the other day, but it was with the first HAARP level.  But all you're saying is you took the wall tile entries out of the pkgb, but left them in the level's engb?  That must mean that pkgbs are treated as an 'always load' type of deal.  I've noticed that boltons and bolton animations don't need to be referenced in the pkgb either, so perhaps that's a good enough solution.

Removing ALL models except some villain boltons and the level model itself helps this problem. But it does not solve it, you will run into it eventually even if you remove the models from the pkgb files. It seems the game can only load a certain amount of models and it accumulates them as you go through levels, without dumping them. I found you can reload the same level many many many times without having this problem, but if you start going to other ones, you will notice it.