Hobgoblin's tinker lair: new - Hawkeye booster

Started by Hobgoblin, November 09, 2013, 07:21AM

Previous topic - Next topic
November 09, 2013, 07:21AM Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 11:51PM by Outsider
Hawkeye booster
https://app.box.com/s/ey2t36oiiw4mgewrg50lwuflv9wwioxj
Built on Nowhereman's booster (http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,3554.msg134763.html#msg134763), all credit to him for initial modifications such as his the two Booster powers
-Normalized all power stats, damage rankings, energy costs etc against other heroes.
-Changed passives
-New power: changed Paralyzer (or ´Quick Shot´ from Nowhereman's booster) to 'Net Arrow': Quickly fires an arrow which releases a cable net over the enemy.
-New power: changed that weird hellfire arrow power to 'Barton Brawl': A melee combo that stuns enemies. (so he doesn't only have arrow powers). Credit to sbarth13 for once giving me some tips in the forum on setting up a melee combo power.

Hercules mod (tommyboy2002's mod, fixed/improved version) - Version 2 update
https://www.mediafire.com/file/6o252dhruzzrqyz
Get Julio Cabral's booster, it's much better! https://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,8986.msg185150.html#msg185150

Tommyboy2002 released a really cool Hercules mod in 2012, but there were still some minor issues with the mod that needed to be ironed out. With forum member assistance, I applied those fixes, and Tom gave me his kind approval to release the fixed version on his behalf, as he's too busy right now.

Here's a list of my meddling & of the credits to people providing assistance or other files, this list is also included in the zip package as an extra readme file:

based on Tommyboy's excellent original work, using renumbering guidance by B.L.A.W. and MelloMods, modding insight provided by the entire Marvelmods community, specific sources as named below.
-Renumbered the mod from 78 to Hercules' allocated number 218
-Added mannequin provided by B.L.A.W.
-Added loadscreen created by Outsider
-Added power 'Prince of Power' based on the She-Hulk mod's 'Rapid Punch' power created by Iammingy.
-Renamed powers and power descriptions
-Upped power damage relative to other characters' powers
-Lowered amount of talent points needed for maxing out powers to collective total of 95 (94 is what you achieve when you reach level 99)
-Added herostat fix as suggested by MUALover so the name appears on the selection scree
-Changed voice reference from Corsair to Professor Xavier (*)

(*) the Corsair voice gave few sound effects so I tried some others. I initially thought Colossus voice would suit Herc, but some weird bug made that voice cancel out the voice effects of the other three active characters. I did not have this problem with other voices, and when I tried Prof X on Herc I found it pretty suitable. Hercules may be headstrong, blunt and crude in style, but he is well-spoken.

The directory '_alternative skins-HUD-icons' includes:
-MUA2 skins by BLAW
-new skins by aventureiromax
-package files and HUD files for a 5th and a 6th skin
-alternative icons by Erik Lensherr
If you wish to use these additional/alternative skins, place them in the main 'actors' folder and remove the skin creator's name from the filename, then edit the herostat accordingly.

Version 2:
-Lowered the damage dealt by the 'Prince of Power' power, thought it was too easy & overpowered.
-Changed boost powers:
'Intimidation' now frightens enemies close to Hercules into doing less damage and receiving more damage. The power is based on the Imperial Intimidation power of the Gladiator mod created by sbarth13, but altered in places to not be an exact copy.
'Olympian Blessing' now raises the max health and energy of the team. Based on Rogue's Southern Shout boost (the Rogue mod was converted from XMLII to MUA by BliZZ)

Version 2.5 update, 24 March 2014:
-added Outsider's new HUD files

Version 3:
-some more slight talent and herostat adjustments
-Fixed sound files, still using Prof X's sounds
-Changed power 5, 'Prince of Power', from She-Hulk's 'Rapid Punch' to Luke Cage's Hammer Toss. Thanks to forum members & especially B.L.A.W. for responding to my many queries on how to make this happen.
  ---please note: this power works and looks fine, but I couldn't figure out how to make Herc properly spin on his own axis to go along with the toss. It could probably still be polished-up.---

His moveset is:
Have at Thee - Devastating two-hit punch that will stun enemies for a time
Earthquake - Hercules pounds the ground with his fists, damaging enemies in an increasing radius
Righteous Smiting - Jumps into air and comes back down hard doing radial damage
Prince of Power - Grabs nearby victims, swinging them around and throwing them on release
Greco-Roman Wrestling - Charges forward, tackling an enemy and beating him senseless
Intimidation - Frightens enemies causing them to take more damage and deal less damage themselves.
Olympian Blessing - Increases $HP and $EP maximums of entire team for a time
Lion of Olympus - Leaps into the air and comes back down doing massive radial damage

Thanks again to tommyboy2002, B.L.A.W., MelloMods, MUALover, Iammingy, Outsider & everyone else.

Tigra mod v2
https://app.box.com/s/z3djn0gecgleprcs4ebo

So, you are considering getting Tigra on your roster, but you might also have Wolverine and you don't want them to be too similar? And you like Sabretooth's moves, but you don't necessarily want to see a scary murdering psycho running around with your heroic team? I know exactly what you mean!

Anyway, we had a cool Tigra mod from Tommyboy's Avengers, extracted, renumbered and polished-up by Harpua1982/MelloMods. This mod started as a replacement for Wolverine and still featured the same powerset.
I thought Sabretooth had some pretty awesome moves which would work well, if not better, for Tigra. Therefore, I decided to revise this mod and base it on Sabretooth instead.

The aforementioned expert modders gave me their kind permission to share this version.

Credits and info are in the readme within the package, here's a rundown:
-All credit goes to thetommyboy2002 for creating the original mod with its skins and huds
-All credit goes to MelloMods for renumbering work, sound editing, creating the mannequin
-Additionally, all credit goes to Dark_Mark for making the official characters for other platforms available (those characters included Sabretooth).
-Outsider's awesome loadscreen is included as well.

This new mod basically changes Tigra from a Wolverine clone to a Sabretooth clone, but there are some differences. The offensive powers have all been edited to do more balanced damage within the game (three are downscaled, two are upscaled). The boost powers have been changed to:
-Champion of the Cat People: increases defense and attack speed
-Feral Hunter: reveals enemies on the minimap and increases team's chance for and damage of criticals

Dr. Strange: Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth boost
:strange: https://app.box.com/s/u20nl4n5p02p37h4yhaw

This is a minor boost for Dr. Strange, to be used with Nowhere Man's boost (found at http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,3554.0.html)

What does it do? Little. I lowered the energy cost for Levitation power a little, and I rearranged the talent point division for leveling up powers so you can get further when you play through the game.
But the main point of this boost is to re-name the powers, to names spells used by Stephen Strange in the comic books:

Mystic Bolts => Bolts of Bedevilment
Levitation => Rings of Raggadorr
Falteen Flame => Flames of the Faltine
Black Magic => Vapors of Valtorr
Eldritch Aura => Demons of Denak
Teleport => Winds of Watoomb
Seraphim's Shield => Shield of the Seraphim
(The power names 'Eye of Agamotto' and 'Mystic Maelstrom' remain unchanged.)

The link leads to a talent file. Install Nowhere Man's boost first if you haven't yet, then place this file in your data\talents folder.
And obviously, always back-up files you replace anyway.

Good work there. I noticed that you mentioned "having limited modding experience". My suggestion would be to increase that experience, and we can help out with whatever so you can understand what all the coding does.

Again, good job :)

Awesome, great work! Will try this out. Congratulations on your first work. ;)

Quote from: B.L.A.W on November 09, 2013, 10:29AM
I noticed that you mentioned "having limited modding experience". My suggestion would be to increase that experience, and we can help out with whatever so you can understand what all the coding does.
Yep, agreed with Mr. B.L.A.W, we can help you out. Coding is very fun if you understand all of them.
Phoenix Force :phoenix: and the Merc with a Mouth :deadpool:
ReverbNation Profile
My Releases
My Workbench

Nice to see Hercules in a more finished manner.
I'm a writer with big goals and ambitions
Influences: Classic Literature, Horror Movies and Hanna Barbera Cartoons and wouldn't have it any other way

Thanks, all!

As for gaining experience, I'm trying to. I feel there's quite some stuff I understand already. I was very proud recently of succesfully giving Ms Marvel a nice power where she propels herself forward, with some energy effect around her hands - have to credit sbarth13 there, as I copied the power from his Wonder Man mod, but I did get into the code and changed the references for the power effect.
I also moved Tigra from being a Wolverine clone to a Sabertooth clone (which works MUCH better for her in my opinion). My Hawkeye's got a nice 'Barton Brawl' combo and my Spidey's got a 'Great power' heavy punch move. My Iron Man is a reshuffle based on the original and 3 overhaul boost releases. I'm tweaking powers for pretty much every character in my roster to make them all relative to one another.
So far, I'm very pleased with my work, and I might even share some in the form of boosters in due time.

But then there are things that I feel are getting outside of my comprehension, to the point where I'm afraid I might just get too frustrated with it. This occurs when dealing with the need for effects which I don't see in the mod to begin with, possibly involving hex editing.
Although maybe I should try to gain a level in modding and start a thread on how to add the hammer toss to Herc in the Modding forum, I'm sure that you guys could help me learn how to do that. I might start a new forum thread about this somewhere soon, but before I start on that, I first want to finish on my 'basic tweaking' projects.

In trying to play with Hercules, it appears i'm having the same problem you originally asked for help for, his powers and huds don't appear. What did you do to fix it? Or maybe you uploaded a pre-fix file by accident?

I can still punch the living day lights out of bad guys with him for the time being but just curious if anyone else has this problem.
Influences: Classic Literature, Horror Movies and Hanna Barbera Cartoons and wouldn't have it any other way

Hexediting isn't hard. It only causes a lot of confusion if it's not being tracked.

The way to hexedit animations is to make sure you track what you change with a notepad (or my modding tool, gotta promote it!).

For example, if you change power1 to powerx in anim file #1 (because you don't need it in animation file #1) and power4 to power1 (it's what you want for power1!) then take a note of it, including the animation file's name.

Issues with powers and huds not appearing is usually due to the PKGB files not being installed correctly or just not present.

The correct path for these files is MUA folder/Packages/Generated/Characters

Keep on learning - you'll get there. Modding is one of those things that gets easier the more you do it (whenever we have the time, that is.)

Quote from: Outsider on March 30, 2013, 09:22PM
I attempted to make my first mod - Starbolt, using the game's own materials. I tried to use his own moves and an amalgam of Human Torch's, Firestar's and Sunfire's moves (which the modders would get credit). I successfully made him playable, able to fly (albeit with a weird animation), flame effects around his head, skins & huds from the game, and can perform his two boss moves. The negative outweighed the positive though: His movelist wasn't visible at all, no fire immunity, no icons, can't level up, and the saddest of all - his two boss moves took no damage to enemies, and no energy cost. After a while, I gave up. Guess modding isn't my thing - for now, anyway.

That was me months ago. Some aspects may look or seem confusing, but you've shown with Hercules that the potential is there. Nice work. The knowledge base has every piece of info you need on practically any subject, but learn at your own pace. That "basic tweaking" is how it all starts. For me, I started tweaking with Scabbia's Giant Man mod, and the rest... as they say, is history. Keep it up. :rockon:

Aha. I found the issue. I was using the MUA2 skin but the download doesn't include packages for skins 5 and 6. Solves that as that's an easy fix.

Thanks for your support, guys. I have to say that MarvelMods is one of my fave places on the web - great to see all these friendly, dedicated people working together to make incredible additions and vast improvements to a relatively old game (that was already a pretty great game to begin with).

I'll see where my tinkering leads me, and I'm sure that I could get pretty far with forum help. I have a new special move in mind for a couple of characters of which I'm sure it could be realized... but I don't want to get ahead of myself, I first want to finish a big administrative project where I'm going over all characters' powers and talent point totals to balance them out against one another (like I did with Herc, whose powers started out as relatively underpowered when compared to official characters).

Oddark123 - my apologies for the omission of packages for those extra skins (an untidiness on my behalf which comes from my habit of not allowing for any skins past the 4th one anyway), I'll see about updating the ZIP.

Update November 19th - finally got to sit down and get those package files together. I've updated the version (same link) with a ZIP that should include the necessary files for all of the skins.

I was never too keen on Hercules' two boost powers and today I finally took the time to change them. The link now leads to an updated file.
Changes:

-Changed boost powers:
'Intimidation' now frightens enemies close to Hercules into doing less damage and receiving more damage. The power is based on the Imperial Intimidation power of the Gladiator mod created by sbarth13, but altered in places to not be an exact copy.
'Olympian Blessing' now raises the max health and energy of the team. Based on Rogue's Southern Shout boost.
-Lowered the damage dealt by the 'Prince of Power' power, thought it was too easy & overpowered.

I also included those pretty new skins by aventureiromax in the ZIP. There are 8 Herc skins included; packages and hud-copies are there for skins 5 and 6, but I tailored the mod to only have 4 skins (my own preference). The more recent skins are placed in a subfolder, everyone can use the skins-set they like best.

I might still have another go at a version 3 where the rapid-punch based power is replaced by the hammer toss, but I tried it before and failed, not sure if I can pull it off. In any case, the mod as it is works very well.

"Say your prayers, malfested! Here comes the "Herculade!"

:( I kinda missed MUA2 & speaking of this mod update, was Herc's MUA2 voice from PS3/360 has been released by someone whose well known ripping MUA2 voice (what's his name again)?
Call me Lars. I'm Power Cosmic no more.

"Trying to solve mysteries of modding here"

My Progress:
http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,4671.0.html

Feel free to mod my releases, as long you credit me:
http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,4488.0.html

Over the past year, I've been putting a lot of work into customizing my MUA. I've been thinking that some of my tinkering would appeal to others as well. So I might release things like boosters.

I've re-named this forum thread to Hobgoblin's tinker lair.
(I thought this was extra fitting, as the original Hobgoblin in the comics was a man who gained access to one of the Green Goblin's hideouts and used his stuff for himself, creating new things based upon Osborn's work. And obviously, all of my work is based upon the work of the legendary modders from this forum. Not meaning to compare anyone to Norman Osborn there...)

First update: a small Dr. Strange boost, which mainly serves to re-name all powers to spells used in the comic books. See the first post in this thread.

New release! There's a download link in the first post for a new Tigra mod, using Sabretooth's powerset instead of Wolverine's.

Just noticed that I made a rookie mistake. The Tigra zip included an old herostat text file, which wasn't tailored to the new powerset at all. I uploaded a new version. Apologies to the 9 people who downloaded the previous file...