Menu

[MUA1 PC] Limit Documentation

Started by BaconWizard17, May 20, 2020, 01:55PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I would recommend mentioning between brackets that the 30 limit for Triggers in Powerstyle files is for each FightMove.
All units, we have a high priority situation in data/powerstyles.

July 08, 2022, 03:05PM #16 Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 03:08PM by corvetterules
I recently discovered that this game has a limit to how many .xmlb effects files can be referenced in total by the powerstyle files of all members of a team. That limit, according to my findings, should be roughly 85. Breaching this limit will result in effects simply not appearing at all. Whose effects will start to not appear is irrespective of their position on the team, be they in the 4th/rightmost position or in the first/leftmost position.
All units, we have a high priority situation in data/powerstyles.

Quote from: Outsider on August 23, 2022, 01:54PM
Updated the first post with the limit on the extraction points. The limit is 31.

Is this just extraction points in general, or is it extraction points listed in the extraction menu?

Quote from: BaconWizard17 on August 23, 2022, 04:44PM
Is this just extraction points in general, or is it extraction points listed in the extraction menu?

The latter. The former is still unknown... for now.

Quote from: Outsider on August 26, 2022, 05:52AM
The latter. The former is still unknown... for now.

Since they're just map objects, my guess is that there isn't an actual limit to the number of extraction points.

... other than it'll play into the total memory usage like any other objects. Doubt it would make much difference, but it's good to be memory-conscious.

Quote from: Teancum on August 27, 2022, 03:04PM
... other than it'll play into the total memory usage like any other objects. Doubt it would make much difference, but it's good to be memory-conscious.

Well yes, but I would imagine it would take a whole ton of extraction points for that to actually happen, more than would ever be added.

New limit documented: Game Stages. The limit is 94. Only the first 94 stages listed in the "zoneinfo.engb" file will play. Any after that will just revert back the game's main menu.

I noticed that not all limits explicitly state how they apply. Here are the ones that don't:
  • Skins > per character (herostat, package file pair/set)
  • Unique Talent Herostat Entries > should be "Total Unique Talent Herostat Entries" (like the others)
  • Fightmoves > total loaded into memory, per zone, usually fightstyles (incl. powerstyles, movesets) of all NPCs + playable characters (team)
  • Powerstyle Triggers > same as fightmoves
  • Global Event Per Powerstyle > "Global" is a bit misleading IMO (is this non-fightmove-specific events?)
  • Items > unique items entries only (what's the limit for the non-unique items?)
  • Effect XMLB files is not 100% clear to me. It suggests that it's files that are on disk. But me, I think that limits are more likely connected to references in the fightstyles, so probably unique effect (and sound_effect) entries (would correspond with effect file references) in the fightstyles. Also shared among NPCs + playable characters (team), but they probably share the count with map effects (in the map's .engb). I wonder if effect entries in NPC and map packages make a difference, but they should match the references in the .engb/.xmlb files, at least in the vanilla game.

The debug menu could be suggested, for a way to keep track of most of these limits.

I noticed that Game Stages seems to be incomplete. Maybe it should be completed to say something like "that can be saved from, and have working objectives and titles". The extraction point limit could also be written a little clearer, for example saying "You can still extract from them to other areas, but can't extract to them".

I learned today that on (some) consoles, if you exceed the skin limit, they are not loaded/shown, but the game doesn't crash. This was reported for the PSP (there isn't a limit documentation for consoles, is there?).

It might also be worth noting that the character limit is only expanded with the respective roster hacks and not removed.

A note about loading screens: Some reported that certain LS never appear. An example is Ultimate Iron Man, which ends in 04. I don't know if this is a name limit or a different issue, though. Other LS that were reported, are Moon Knight and Colossus (although, one of them apparently does appear) and they don't suffer from the problem.

Lastly, an update about scripts: Scripts are limited per command, or possibly per line (the former makes more sense). Errors are that at first, usually saves stop working, and it also happens that conversation choices appear which are supposed to be hidden. Most scripts are loaded with the map (most .py files, as listed in packages and maps, plus map commands). But some are probably only loaded when needed, such as menu commands and conversation checks (with the exception of pre-loaded scripts). This would explain why they're the first ones to break, as they're loaded last. The limit is usually very tight, allowing only little additional script commands. I know that the Sanctum Sanctorum in the OCP 2.4 doesn't allow any more script commands (strange1). Conversation checks/conversation scripts at least do contribute to the limit, but I don't know if character mod scripts and menu scripts contribute.
I suggest following entry:
  • Script Commands per Zone
    • Limit: Unknown (~ +1 to +10% of original amount)
    • Error if Exceeded: Last loaded script or command doesn't work, usually saving at extraction points.
    • Solution: Limit script code