After loads of file removing and arrangements, and tremendous amount of game testing with the Gamecube's Assets, I present you...
Download (Click on the large image above.)
This patch is my biggest update yet, and is going to serve as a core to most of your game cube modding needs. For those who've previously installed my XML II Updated Pack, Version 2.0 is the completed form of it, and is the official name I decided to give it. About Version 2.0
It contains a ton of file arrangements, and removal of stuff that aren't used in the actual game's release (ex: unused character files with no data, characters with the same ID as another, and unfinished maps)
. Further more, this updated patch is to help the GCN version keep itself a float in terms of opening the eligibility for making character mods a little easier, as well as adding in mod conversions from other ports (although, still being limited to certain modifications). The original file size of the assetsfb that was present in the final build of the game's release was somewhere around the file size of 377,665 KB
. With my arrangements, it has now been greatly reduced to 252,255 KB.
How to install
* If you only wish to play the patch right away without modding it, for an easy quick installation, simply download the .zip file from the large image above, open your X-Men Legends II ISO with the program GC Rebuilder, and right-click -> import
to replace the current assetsfb.wad and xmen_rel_fin.rel in the ISO with the ones you just downloaded, and that's it!
* For modding purposes on adding custom characters and such, visit my tutorial thread
on how to install character mods (written by me for GCN purposes)
Important Stuff Permanent.fb:
- Located in packages\generated\maps\package\
of the assetsfb.wad's structure.
This file now holds all the texture effects for every hero and enemy in the game. No longer will you have to include any texture_effect.igb in a character's packaging file since texture effects will now be read through the Permanent.fb. It can also store additional models and have them become shared if your custom character can't hold too many in their packaging file. The permanent.fb also has it's limits which can cause Menu textures not to load properly should the limit ever be met. ONLY STORE ADDITIONAL MODELS IN THERE WHEN YOU REALLY NEED TO
- The only shared models that are included in there so far, are grenades, missiles, and additional entities that my Sentinel Mod couldn't hold in his .fb file.Character Files:
- Character Files now have their KB size greatly reduced:
- Updated costume textures. Majority of playable heroes and enemy bosses now use higher quality skins which already existed in their packaging files.
- Removed all .gerb, .freb, itab, and .spab files since they're not needed in the NA version of the game.
- Removed textures effects that were previously stored in a character's packaging file. They are now read through the Permanent.fb. (Does not include texture_icons1.igb on playable heroes.)
- All hero's movesets and powers are still kept in their vanilla state like in the original assets.
Gameplay Information and minor changes Unlocking Deadpool
A script was added in Act 4 where Deadpool will automatically join your team as you're about to enter Apocalypse's Tower on your first playthrough. No longer will you have to beat the game to unlock him.Shared Talents:
- Every hero now has this ability in their herostats. Heroes who couldn't grab in the original game's assets, can now grab like most of the bruisers do.Block:
- Is now a hidden ability in the Shared Talents and the max Level has been decreased from Level 5 to Level 1. All heroes now have this ability at Level 1 in their herostat to use for defensive purposes, and can applied to the talent list when in combat maps.
- Operates similar to MUA's by no longer consuming EP when attacked, and provides 100% damage blocked when activated.Hologram Hero:
- New Talent added:
A shared talent made by me. It is an aesthetics feature and makes characters appear faded with blue aura lighting below the hero. It will serve as a nice in-game element for character mods that cannot be given custom voices, and having them assume as if they were a reflection.Striker:
- New Talent added:
A shared talent made by Cohollow
. It will be applied on mods of his characters (who use the talent) that are converted from the PC over to the Gamecube (if anyone or myself does any.) Heroes:
- Bonus & Revival Costumes:
Costumes from XML 1 that didn't make the cut are now included in the said character's costume list. Most of them use the PS2 Imports.Cyclops:Chaos LordColossus:Default - XML 1Iceman:Default - XML 1Jean Grey:Default - XML 1Sun GoddessProfessor X:Astral GladiatorStorm:Default - XML 1Wolverine:70's skinUltimate PredatorDanger Room NPCs:
- Blob, Emma Frost, and Mystique now appear as playables in the Danger Room, and have a few updated shared talents added to them. Simply start a new game, and they will be accessible the moment the Danger Room becomes available.
- Blob now uses his PS2 skin imported from X-Men Legends 1
- Havok now has Fightstyle_Hero applied to his NPCstat to overwrite the unused animation he performs in the Danger Room simulator.
Mechanics & Features
HP Restore/Party Revive
Neat little side feature that's included in all five Act's base camp. It allows the player to revive fallen active party members, like in MUA. There is no charge of tech bits needed to pay and it can be accessed through the game's shopkeeper at any time. Beast will take charge in Act 1 until he is captured, and his position will be handed over to Forge for the rest of the game. (The image above is an older preview. The feature has been updated in the v2.0)
Special Dive kick
The Special Dive kick from X-Men Legends 1 returns as a shared FightMove. Not exactly how it was in XML 1, but it is still a fun feature to have and is useful for its purpose. Only Heroes that have the fightstyle_finesse1 applied in their herostat and can't fly, can perform this ability. Ex: Toad and Nightcrawler.
PC Exclusive Heroes:
This patch also gives you access to the bonus heroes, Pyro and Sabretooth, who were both exclusive only to the PC. The two function exactly the same as their PC ports, being clones of Sunfire and Wolverine respectively.
Pyro Information:Pyro Data:
Being an unused and unfinished character at first, Pyro now joins the team as an official hero! He lacks a roster name call and sounds for his talents. Other than that, he is fully compatible, has full a voice set in the over world, and doesn't crash the game in anyway.
- Uses PS2 Skins imported from X-Men Legends 1 PS2
- No longer has Sunfire's menu animation but his own unique one which is taken directly from his PC file.
- Gains bonus with Brotherhood of Evil
and Forces of Nature *
- Now has a Character Select Portrait
- Talent names are changed from Sunfire's to his version of his talents.Bonus Skins included:
- Dark Pyro
- Fire DemonHow to Unlock:
A special conversation
(no voices) that's exclusive to only Brotherhood Heroes
can be accessed, allowing them to talk Pyro into joining the team as a permanent party member. Fitting due to his role in Act 1 as he's rescued in Genosha, becomes temporarily party member, leaves the group because he doesn't want to fight Abyss, and later appears as an NPC to talk to.
Sabretooth in this update is considered a glitch character. The purpose on adding him was to match the PC version's default character roster as well as increasing a selection of characters. Certain methods had to be performed in order for me get his character slot into the game. Sabretooth replaces Storm in the tutorial and vise-versa. Not to worry, Storm will still be available in the Change Team menu. Like Pyro, he lacks a roster name call (tested) and sounds for his talents. Other than that, he is fully compatible, has full a voice set in the over world, and doesn't crash the game in anyway.
How to access Sabretooth's character slotSabretooth Data:
A new feature was added to Beast and Forge's menu which will allow you to access Sabretooth at anytime. Due to his slot not appearing in the team menu, this is the only way to access him. He will always be selected on the fourth Active Hero slot, and can optionally be arranged when removing active party members.
Now you can gain control as this Wolverine clone in your GCN game!
- Besides Age of Apocalypse, he now gains bonus with Brotherhood of Evil
, Bruiser Brigade
, and Dark Past
- Now has effects
for his talents which was copy and pasted from Wolverine's and renamed into his.
- Sabretooth's files have been renamed from "Sabretooth_Hero" to "Sabre" to be able to safely replace him over Storm in the tutorial map.Bonus Skin included:
- His original default skinset. - Files provided to me by Jayglass.
- Default XML 1Minor Issues:
- When loading the map with Sabretooth into the team, it also resets previous maps that were entered by reviving all defeated enemies regardless of how long ago. Nothing bad about gaining more EXP for the party.
- If Sabretooth appears as a higher or lower level than the rest of the team, which only occurs when starting a new save file, the only way to fix this issue is to reboot the game before starting a new file to refresh is level effect. There's possibly no other way to fix this but to do the following as said. This is an issue with the 20th Hero slot and not Sabretooth's character.How to Unlock:
Although he can only be usable as a glitch character, a script was added so he automatically unlocks when starting a new game, allowing him to be used in Sparring and Skirmish in Danger Room modes.
- Sabretooth takes the 20th hero slot by default in the Update. If you ever feel like switching him out with another hero, there is a guide I left in the download which allows you to change which characters to spawn in the tutorial map or who you want taking the 20th hero slot.- Future mods that I plan to do WILL REQUIRE this update to be downloaded in order for my modded characters to have all their assets.Credits:
Lags - Mod pack assembler and removal of unnecessary files.
Jayglass - Providing the files for Sabretooth, as well as selection portraits for him and Pyro. (Icons for both Pyro and Sabretooth were added by me)
Cohollow - Creator of the Striker Talent, which I included for future purposes.
BaconWizard17 - Including proper talent icons for the Hologram Hero and Striker passives.
If there are any issues you encountered or any missing files, please report to me and I will fix the issue as soon as I can.