Football vs. Soccer

Started by jonchang, October 09, 2007, 03:10AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I use a bit of both. Sometimes I get them mixed up. :P. I work with the European school, so they use football. But some of the Americans there use soccer. Also, the area where I live is where most of the Americans and foreigners live.

For me is "Futebol", because i'm brazilian, it's very similar do U.K english.

Joga bonito!

FĂștbol in my country. The base is football, but every country has it's own way of spelling it. In German, it's Fussball, which is the term Northamericans use for table football, if I'm not mistaken.

Being British (the home of football) its Football.

Not seen much of the American sport but in my (limited) experience the ball's rarely kicked (in a manner similar to rugby). What's the deal with that? Surely it should be hand ball...?

I totally agree with you The Boy Sanga if this sport use more the hand it can't be football to solve this problem in Brazil we say futebol to soccer and futebol americano = american football to what the american say football

Quote from: Gevth on October 09, 2007, 11:21AM
FĂștbol in my country. In German, it's Fussball, which is the term Northamericans use for table football, if I'm not mistaken.

Correct, it's foosball. Are you German?

i call it soccer so do most people in aus
because we call rugby and stuff like that football

American Football son....... GREEN BAY PACKERS ALL THE WAY.

I can't stand soccer, I don't know why, I just find it really boring and a big waste of time.

Quote from: PackerFan8459 on November 01, 2007, 05:37PM
American Football son....... GREEN BAY PACKERS ALL THE WAY.

I can't stand soccer, I don't know why, I just find it really boring and a big waste of time.

He's asking about which term you use to describe the sport that involves this ball:

...not which sport you like.

I use "soccer" because people here always misinterpret "football" ("European" English) as American football (American English).

You know what I don't understand?

Why American people call it football. I mean: you use your hands and your bodies more and the only time you use your feet is when you're punting it.

In Bulgaria we don't play rugby(American football). We only play soccer which we call it football(футбол[futbol]).

November 02, 2007, 11:17AM #11 Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 11:22AM by iammingy
Rugby is different from American Football...

For example, you can only pass the ball behind you in rugby.

EDIT: sorry, "rugby" not "ruby"

oooo then i call it soccer, because I am from America.

September 02, 2008, 08:28AM #13 Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 08:33AM by muafan
Quote from: Midnight Curse on November 02, 2007, 12:21AM
You know what I don't understand?

Why American people call it football. I mean: you use your hands and your bodies more and the only time you use your feet is when you're punting it.

sorry to dig up an old topic but i have an explanation:

it comes fromn the fact the american football comes from soccer football.

some guy was like "hey lets play football with hands" that was rugby. then scrumk was removed and it became american football because some people call rugby rugby football.

also, wiki says under american football:
The history of American football can be traced to early versions of rugby football and soccer. Both games have their origin in varieties of football played in the United Kingdom in the mid-19th century, in which a ball is kicked at a goal and/or run over a line. Also like soccer, American football has twenty two players on the field of play. Furthermore, some player position references from soccer are used, such as the term "halfback" and "fullback"

any way i call association footbal soccer! god bless america!