ps2 problem.

Started by muafan, June 12, 2008, 11:38AM

Previous topic - Next topic
so this morning i went to play my ps2,
when i put inthe disc instead of bringng me to the game it brought me to a screen with a pic of a memry card to the left and of a disc to the right. when i clicked on the memory card it brought me to my memory card. when i clicked on the disc it brought me back to this same menu. ive tryed everything can any of y'guys help?

Your PS2's laser is dying.  Try getting a disc cleaner, but you'll probably need a new PS2.

Has your PS2 suffered any impacts recently because it could also be down to a misaligned laser. I know there's a solution to that on the net (involving taking the ps2 apart) but its really time consuming and should probably taken on as a last option (although Teancum's answer above is probably the correct answer).

If your PS2 is really old it's also possible that the DVD drive motor is dead.  It's fixable, but honestly it's cheaper to get a used PS2 from Gamestop.  It's about 75-80 bucks for a PS2, but they're warrantied for I *think* 90 days, vs spending 45 for a new motor then spending hours trying to get everything aligned and fixed.

Try cleaning it, but just prepare for the worst.

RECOMMENDATIONS ON CLEANING:
-Unplug your PS2 then take it CAREFULLY apart.  If you have a "fat" PS2, there will be a ribbon cable on the right side where the power button is, so be super careful not to unplug it when taking it apart.
-Buy a can of compressed air.  Spray in VERY short bursts and blow the whole thing clean.  If the can gets really cold, stop spraying and walk away for an hour or so to allow the pressure to go back down (you don't want frost on your components).
-Use cleaning alcohol and Q-Tips to clean the electronics, including the laser.  Make sure there's just a tiny bit of alcohol (it's not soaking wet) on the tip, and DO NOT PUSH on any electronics.  Just run it back and forth and let the weight of the Q-Tip do the work.
-Allow 48-72 hours to dry, then re-assemble the PS2.

probaly is the CD not the PS2,this have happened often with me.dont worry,just take another CD and try
(a signature for me in others forums)
[/URL]

i'm was just thinking it could be the disc, matezoide, if not ill try teancums idea.

god......i just hope i can gget it up and running before saturday night so i can at least beat the 2cd level of JLH before i havta retturn it.....