MUA Material Editor

Started by nikita488, July 23, 2018, 11:11AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The picture above shows the problem I'm having.
It's like there's a spotlight shining on the front of the 2 models I've added a normal/bump map to.
It's not an in-game source, as if I turn them in the level, the brightness moves with them.
You can see they are darker on the back, as though illuminated from a light source in front of them.
I've removed all lights from the max scene, run an Xform modifier and re-exported, and it stays the same.
Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
Is it because I haven't added a specular or gloss map (though I actually did that with swordsman in the model you see above, so either I did it wrong or that's not causing this).

Don't get me wrong, the tool is great, it's something I've wanted for years, I'd just like to be able to use it competently.

I know that models are very shiny if something wrong with Normal Map Texture. Your texture in DDS DXT5 format?

Quote from: nikita488 on August 19, 2018, 08:39AM
I know that models are very shiny if something wrong with Normal Map Texture. Your texture in DDS DXT5 format?
Yes, I thought so. I'll triple check.

Yes I was definitely saving as dxt5 with interpolated alpha, but I've created my normal maps in an odd way.
I use the nvidia normalmap filter tool in photoshop to create it, then adjust via hue map (I have a preset to make all colours convert to green). Then I save as dxt5, interpolated alpha.
I'll try experimenting, see what I get.

Quote from: thetommyboy2002 on August 19, 2018, 09:35AM
Yes I was definitely saving as dxt5 with interpolated alpha, but I've created my normal maps in an odd way.
I use the nvidia normalmap filter tool in photoshop to create it, then adjust via hue map (I have a preset to make all colours convert to green). Then I save as dxt5, interpolated alpha.
I'll try experimenting, see what I get.

I also use this Nvidia tool to create normal maps when any template downloaded on the net does not bring this map.
I tested this map with green and desaturated color, but I also faced this same result.

However, I realized that the relief of the model had been included.
If you realize, unless I'm mistaken, Captain America's details seem to have relief, especially in the scales of the uniform. The biggest problem is the excessive reflex effect.

If I save my normal map as a DXT5_NM it seems to work better for me in at least one model I'm playing with.
If I do that with Swordsman though, it's as if the position of the light source has moved behind him instead of in front.
Clearly, it's something I'm doing (or maybe not doing) in creating or saving my textures.
I'll just have to play around until I figure the best results out.

Again, this tool is a real game-changer, and I cannot thank you enough for it, (nor too many times).

Hello. Any chance for 32-bits support?

Actually this program should be 32 bit by itself, because Alchemy's DLLs support only 32bit.

The problem must be my OS then. I use Win XP.
It's my fault for not updating my software lol.
Thanks for this anyway, it look quite awesome.

Hello Nikita488!
Dude, I still can not apply the normal map.
I have seen your images and I conclude that there must certainly be a specific pattern.
I use all the graphical features of the game.
When I apply the normal map the skin appears to reflect the ambient light as if it were the specular map.

Another map that I would like to learn to apply is that map that the silver surfer uses, the one that is different from the specular map, that gives that metallic effect.

Can you help me with this?

Your tool is fantastic !!

Not sure if this is a Windows 10 bug or not.

After using the tool, once I use the skin in-game it remains loaded in that folder and game no matter what I replace the skin with after wards.

- Used tool to enhance the textures
- Placed skin in Actors
- Launched game to check it out
- Replaced skin with default skin in Actors
-> Relaunched game and the custom skin was still loaded
-> open the Alchemy viewer to double check and it showed custom skin
-> Renamed file to end skin number with "c"
-> Default skin now showed in Alchemy viewer

Does this tool somehow corrupt the Actors folder/game cache? I've never had skins *not* update in-game after replacing them with other skins.

Oh wow. I've never heard of this issue before. I'm not actually sure but my tool shouldn't corrupt anything, but this is super strange...

I have Windows 10 on my computer so you can send me archive with files (original skin, texture maps, etc) and i can test it on my side.

This problem occurred to me, but only after installing some remastered MUA interface files. But when I switch to a different slot, the skin that was replaced appears.

December 30, 2018, 11:07AM #44 Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 11:22AM by BLaw
Quote from: nikita488 on December 30, 2018, 03:55AM
I have Windows 10 on my computer so you can send me archive with files (original skin, texture maps, etc) and i can test it on my side.

I just placed the custom skin in the MUAMaterial folder and decided to go from there....

- Did my thing with the custom skin (I load it up, place the maps in the slots, save it and overwrite the current file located in the tool directory)
- Moved skin to Actors to overwrite 1502, testing it in game (noticeably this time the textures didn't load)
- Pressed "Load" again in the tool and noticed that the file did *not* update with the new textures at all.
- Reapplied textures and saved, overwriting the file again and as an extra, saved as a new file (1503) (I verify by checking Alchemy viewer; when adding the green normal map it is green in the viewer)
- The filesize and the date modified remain the same as the first time I applied the maps. No error messages either.

Solutions I have tried (in no specific order)

- Reboot PC
- Restart MUAMaterial
- Reload skin in MUAMaterial
- Reapply textures
- Close game