Remembering 9/11...

Started by jonchang, September 09, 2007, 10:31PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Been so long since that calamity. Won't forget it. Had 2 missing relatives. Anyone lose any loved ones?

I lost an uncle. He was on the 101st floor in the second tower that was hit.

I remember when it happened.  I was a sophomore in high school.  I was in ROTC at that time, and the news came to us about the towers.  It was so surreal...  I never thought something like this could happen.  One of my friends had a dad working in the pentagon at the time it happened, and he informed us about the security lockdowns everywhere after it happened.  Being that I lived right by the biggest military base in the U.S. (Fort Hood), we were also on lockdown for a while and had heavy security going to and from that base because nobody was sure what was going on or why it was happening.  We went from unarmed civilians to fully armed soldiers with assault rifles guarding the gates.  Scary stuff back then.  I was ready to go to West Point my senior year in high school, but two years later I'm in college.  Even though I was the highest ranking officer in my school and had a congressional nomination from Chet Edwards, I just didn't want to get involved with Iraq.  *shrugs*  Brings back lots of memories though.
Some day, someone will best me.  But it won't be today, and it won't be you.

The artist formerly known as Burning Rage.

Living in NYC I saw it first hand. I thought it was some sort of a dream and people in the streets were talking about the end of the world. There was much smoke in the air and it almost burned your lungs. I was sick for about two weeks from the smoke. Even to this day I still dont believe it happened. Who would have thought that I would have been burying my parents almost six years later after my uncle. My parents died on June 11.

I couldn't believe it was actually decimated either. Feels like the end of the world... 9/11, 2004 Christmas Tsunamis, Hurricane Katrina... Here's a crash sequence of flight UA175 smashing into the south tower.

My uncle was in the south tower. Sorry but those photos are very emotional for me.

7th anniversary today. Respectful memorial silence once more...

Sorry for your loss of your loved ones msmarvel, and as well for everyone out there that has lost someone in this horrible tragedy and all other equally devastating tragedies or natural disasters.  With what we collectively call "Humanity" , these terrible moments should remind us that everyone has a responsibility to attain/share goodness and not let the evil that people do mar that.   

Captain America is fallen, muafan.

I salute him and all and their families lost in this calamity.

They had a tribute on the local radio station yesterday.  I was truly touched.  My wife (who works for the Federal Gov't) said they had a special service as well, with bagpipes playing "Amazing Grace" and all.  She said she teared up.

I think every generation has one major event they'll never forget.  This is ours.  Hopefully we'll keep the lessons learned always with us.

Did you tear up, TC?

I am interested in finding this broadcast. Is it downloadable or listenable by Internet anywhere?

CLICKY

There's four of them in there, starting about 1/3 of the way down.