Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3

Started by Mynexus92, December 06, 2018, 07:09PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Emulator Nintendo Switch to help You!

I totally understand it being a Switch exclusive - a series like this hasn't been made in a long time, and Switch needs games for it so Nintendo publishing it means they get an exclusive series riding high on fan support and the hd remasters, and a Marvel tie-in. Could It eventually come out for PC or other consoles? Sure! Do I expect it to? No. Did it make me want to get a Switch? Yes!

I'm excited for this game! I can't wait to see which characters get announced, and the costumes, and level up experience. I also expect we'll see some types of DLC as well, which means more characters and costumes that probably relate to the movies or comic events (just like say Future Fight). This could even include new missions as well, just like BoTW.

The graphics make sense to me as well - it's comic style just like all the previous games in the series. And I'm super pumped for a co-op ever since Marvel Heroes Omega got cancelled...

In theory, I'd be excited, super excited. But because it's on Switch only, I'm bummed. :(

Still happy it lives on though, if that counts for anything.

If sales goes well, other ports can be possible, like Lego Undercover, & most of all, other Koei Tecmo action game, Nioh.
Call me Lars. I'm Power Cosmic no more.

"Trying to solve mysteries of modding here"

My Progress:
http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,4671.0.html

Feel free to mod my releases, as long you credit me:
http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,4488.0.html

I pre-ordered this yesterday. I'm ashamed. I swore I'd never get a marvel game unless it had mods.

I'm buying a Switch for this game.  Getting both on Tuesday.  If my roommate had been able to bring his half of the food money like he was supposed to, I'd have both already.  I rented a switch before, so I'll have 3 games for it to start:

Lego DC Villains
Civilization VI
Monitor

Quote from: Monitor2112 on July 19, 2019, 03:47PM
I'm buying a Switch for this game.  Getting both on Tuesday.  If my roommate had been able to bring his half of the food money like he was supposed to, I'd have both already.  I rented a switch before, so I'll have 3 games for it to start:

Lego DC Villains
Civilization VI

I have it and I'm having a blast, even if I do think it's still inferior to the original MUA - maybe even XML2

It's okay so far. Great fun but lacks the depth the original had.
Suprised at how hard some bosses are though, in a a positive way
My Release topic : http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,8934.0.html

Newest Release : Raven

July 21, 2019, 09:03AM #38 Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 09:15AM by nickjustint
I love it so far to be honest, I think its better than 1 and 2.

Quote from: Polygone on July 20, 2019, 11:36AM
It's okay so far. Great fun but lacks the depth the original had.
Suprised at how hard some bosses are though, in a a positive way

Kinda confused what you mean by depth?, I love MUA1 but its not a perfect game, it doesn't have much depth at all outside of having a couple more powers (and most being very very basic ones), it had practically zero RPG mechanics, whilst theres a lot of systems in this game for boosting your characters stats, or adding passive mechanics with gear and the passive team tree. There's also a lot more mechanics to think about in combat, the Stagger meter, synergies etc. In MUA1 most bosses you just whack til you die and dont get me started on the QTE only bosses.., The increase in depth isn't LEAPS above the other games, but its definitely there.

I think by depth polygone means story depth. The story in MUA3, while very solid, isn't very deep and mostly just covers surface events. I also think that there are a few too many things that just randomly spring up without much explanation

Quote from: BaconWizard17 on July 21, 2019, 08:38PM
I think by depth polygone means story depth. The story in MUA3, while very solid, isn't very deep and mostly just covers surface events. I also think that there are a few too many things that just randomly spring up without much explanation

Both yeah. From what I played so far the story is heavily MCU influenced with a few Netflix references here and there.
Conversations are pretty one sided with only being able to ask characters one question and sometimes purseing that question instead of the dialog menu 1 and 2 had.
I don't think this game has any gear either? Could be wrong on that though.
Haven't seen buff powers on any characters that I can think of, pretty much making everyone a very damaging role.
And while I understand the need for DLC, I really do, and props to them for releasing Cyclops and Colossus for free, the fact that the FF, the entire team included in both games on all platforms and one of Marvel's core teams is DLC just doesn't sit well with me.
And not a big fan of the stagger bar. I would've liked for bosses to just leap back and fire a few attacks that you'd have to dodge if they were aiming for being able to deal less damage.

Overall, definitely not a bad game though, plenty of things I like. Inclusion of characters like Crystal or Morbius is really cool and every character manages to play really differently

This game sort of has gear in the form of ISO-8. It's definitely a stronger gear system than either MUA game and is more akin to X-Men legends 2

Quote from: BaconWizard17 on July 22, 2019, 04:11AM
This game sort of has gear in the form of ISO-8. It's definitely a stronger gear system than either MUA game and is more akin to X-Men legends 2

I can't wait for a full wiki of that.

Quote from: BaconWizard17 on July 22, 2019, 04:11AM

Have to look into that then, scrap that point then I guess :P

July 22, 2019, 07:09AM #44 Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 07:13AM by nickjustint
Quote from: Polygone on July 22, 2019, 03:53AM
Both yeah. From what I played so far the story is heavily MCU influenced with a few Netflix references here and there.
Conversations are pretty one sided with only being able to ask characters one question and sometimes purseing that question instead of the dialog menu 1 and 2 had.
I don't think this game has any gear either? Could be wrong on that though.
Haven't seen buff powers on any characters that I can think of, pretty much making everyone a very damaging role.
And while I understand the need for DLC, I really do, and props to them for releasing Cyclops and Colossus for free, the fact that the FF, the entire team included in both games on all platforms and one of Marvel's core teams is DLC just doesn't sit well with me.
And not a big fan of the stagger bar. I would've liked for bosses to just leap back and fire a few attacks that you'd have to dodge if they were aiming for being able to deal less damage.

Overall, definitely not a bad game though, plenty of things I like. Inclusion of characters like Crystal or Morbius is really cool and every character manages to play really differently

The story is MCU influenced in that it banks on the popularity of the Infinity Gaunlet, but outside of the Guardians everyone in the game is their comic counterpart, everyone when you speak to them refers to comic events or other comic characters (even ones that don't appear in the game), and for the large part wear their comic costumes. Pretty much all the references and characters that pop up are from the comics, they're aren't any real references to the MCU and the Netflix series. This game is incredibly comic heavy.

I'd agree with BaconWizard that the story isn't super in depth, but it does a very good job of driving the game forward. The game manages to somehow be longer than MUA1 and 2 but also not feel like its dragging because of how its presented.

Also Bacon already touched on the gear system, which is surprisingly indepth.

There are buff powers so that's also not true, Scarlet Witch, Doctor Strange have healing support skills, Captain America has a team power buff etc. There are also other mechanics to buff your team, you can use certain powers that can buff allies with weapons, turning their weapons both visually and mechanically elemental.

Regarding DLC, I think we kinda know why the F4 are not in the game, its because this game was being made before they fully started pushing F4 again, which is a shame, but it did let other characters make the roster that would have not have otherwise. The game has a lot of characters and by the end the F4 will be in it so I feel like overall its not a bad thing.

I do like the stagger bar, it forces more thinking and deciding which skills to use with what timing, you also can build characters to be better against stagger which makes you think about your team comp and character builds. But I gather that not everyone will like that addition.

The game isn't perfect, there are definitely some things that are lesser: dialogue choices being one, levels are streamlined (but still very fun), but for everything that's missing, I'd definitely take the mechanical and Character progression enhancements this game has added over the stuff that isn't here, personally.