Square Enix /Crystal Dynamics Marvel's Avengers

Started by Bruce Bixby, June 06, 2019, 11:48PM

Previous topic - Next topic
August 03, 2020, 11:14AM #75 Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 12:29PM by Bruce Bixby
 :spiderman:   Spider-Man Officially Announced  :spiderman:

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/08/03/a-friendly-neighborhood-spider-man-lends-a-helping-hand-to-earths-mightiest-heroes-in-2021/

So the rumors are true. At first I did't want Spider-Man to be involved in this game at all. I wanted the focus to be on the core Avengers, but I would be lying if I said that I'm not excited for him to be in this game also. He's going to be added in early 2021 & he'll be exclusive to PlayStation ( Are you really surprised?) Thoughts?

August 04, 2020, 11:44AM #76 Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 06:47AM by Teancum
Truthfully they just lost a sale. I don't support this kind of stuff. I was on the fence anyway.

Marvel's Avengers is...meh? (Beta Review)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3yH2-6D3Gg

I've bought the BETA on Steam, it does require a good machine!

However it is in my opinion a very solid game. The characters so far are really well fleshed out to be like their Comic book and MCU counterparts.

You start out taking turns as the original Avengers minus Hawkeye in the tutorial. After that, you get to play with Hulk and Kamala. After a mission, you just get Iron Man and Black Widow unlocked without playing their unlock missions for BETA purposes.

- Hulk: Hulk is him. He smashes. He has his Thunderclap as his Ultimate, a bull rush attack, can grab minor enemies and smash with them, throw debris from small to large size and use debris to spin around with. He has a Rage that can self heal. He smashes big.
- Kamala: My least favorite. She's a female Mr. Fantastic, so that's what you can expect in-game too. Great that she is her own character, still not a fan.
- Iron Man: Oh man. I'm torn between him and Hulk as favorites here. He plays just like MCU Iron Man! You can switch between weapon types too: Lasers, rockets or repulsors, and be in melee range. His Ultimate: Hulkbuster.
- Black Widow: I never thought I'd like BW as a character till I played this version. She feels agile, spy-ish. Uses batons and her pistols, and of course Widow's Sting. Her Ultimate is an overcharged suit and the batons are connected as a staff to deal insane damage with. She can also turn the party invisible, or herself.

You can level the characters up individually, and so far every War Table mission is replayable. This is great, as the characters do not level simultaneously.

If you like Arkham Asylum, then you'll like this too. Whilst it isn't exactly like it, it does have that combat feel to it and more paced.

All characters have a form of fast travel:
- Hulk can leap distances, larger when Sprint is held down.
- Widow can zip swing and grapple her way to enemies or ledges
- Kamala uses her creepy stretch arms
- Iron Man does what he does best: fly fast

The costumes tend to be more "realistic" looking, and all are custom save for Joe Fixit. That's about the only comic accurate costume I have seen so far. They do have some costumes, in particular Iron Man, that drew inspiration from the MCU. One looks more like the Mark 7, although a tad bit more bulky and iron-y.

I have to say, I disliked the designs however the gameplay is really good.

I've been playing the beta on PC all weekend, and I am quite pleased with it.
No, the melee combat is not up there with Batman Arkham games, but it is not rubbish, either.
Very nice graphics, the 6 characters you can play as all "feel" pretty different, especially once you start to spec into the talent trees.
A fair number of bugs and crashes, if you play solo the hero AI will sometimes glitch and just run into stuff.
I haven't felt like my money was wasted pre-ordering it.
If it is still up, a person on youtube looked into the exe (where have I heard that before) and found a whole stack of apparently already playable characters:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3T6MkrhkU0

I really enjoy the destructable environments, the city map is good for that (can't take down whole buildings a la Freedom Force though).
Lots of nods to the movies and comics in the powersets and moves.
I'm actually pretty excited.

Also, welcome home, Blaw. We kept your room just as you left it.

So after thinking about it more I think I'll jump in when this goes on sale, or maybe about a year in. It'll have had enough time to fix any flaws in gameplay that players don't like, and more content will be out by that time hopefully.

I'm not a fan of their business tactics, but this game really does look awesome. It would be super cool if an X-Men game was one day made in this style!

August 18, 2020, 11:45PM #81 Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 11:50PM by UltraMegaMagnus
Business practice is not right at all, AAA game with mobile grind fest, PC optimization could be bad. I really like to buy on sales, but I fear it will be unplayable for me, and that business practice will really draw me away (Battle Pass, DLC, timed content, daily reward, Denuvo, Square Enix account, NO SPIDER-MAN ON PC). This is the kind of business practice that makes me feel bad when buying a game.

August 19, 2020, 02:42PM #82 Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 03:22PM by Bruce Bixby
I had fun with the Beta on PS4, every character was fun to play. Iron Man is PERFECT & easy to control, & his moves & weaponry are powerful & stylish. Hulk is my favorite superhero but, he felt underwhelming on this game. Hulk gets staggered too much, & he shouldn't need to dodge that much like the rest of the heroes. His leaps need more reach & power in it, & he moves slow even while sprinting. & he can't pick up cars. I hope by the time launch comes that they'll improve him & his abilities. Black Widow is badass as expected & very fast in combat. Kamala is actually fun too she's grown on me even though I used her the least. As far as alternate costumes I really liked the Illustrious Iron Man costume & Hulk's "Big Green" skin. But other than that I'm not really a fan of Square Enix original designs. I'm excited for the list of characters that they'll be adding, even though the Spider-Man exclusivity sucks, (but hey that's business, hopefully they'll include him for other platforms too one day?). Overall I think this game has potential, I hope that it gets enough support so they can continually improve & have a long shelf life like DC Universe Online.

September 01, 2020, 09:44PM #83 Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 09:46PM by Bruce Bixby
Marvel's Avengers | Launch Week WAR TABLE

Who's been playing the early access of the full game? Are you enjoying it? Me personally, I pre ordered the standard edition. Also I think the idea of cosmetics being timed is ridiculous. Kate Bishiop has been announced on the roster. Also I understand & respect the decision of them not announcing Black Panther at this time. I'm still excited for him in a bittersweet way though. What are everyone's thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/v/Yyn09kK51Pg

There are a few things which grate a little, like timed cosmetics.
I'm not too bent out of shape about the paid for cosmetics like extra costumes, as I don't think anyone HAS to buy them.
I couldn't give a damn about emotes or nameplates, paid or free.
I'm playing early access and I'm having fun.
The campaign is pretty good but I'm only very early into it.
I've been surprised pleasantly by the variety of missions so far.
There have been standard go in and hit things missions, but also a stealth type escape from overwhelming odds level, and a fly as fast as you can while not taking damage mission.
It breaks it up and provides variety, which the beta didn't really show us.
I still like the gameplay, the diffferent heroes "feel" more different than either MUA or Marvel Heroes, and the strategies and tactics you use for each are pretty diverse, so far.
I think it could be played a s button masher, but there are dodges, blocks and parries, as well as combos and other status and AOE stuff to mix it up.
All in all, it looks really nice, plays well, and I like it.
It wont be to everyone's taste, and the monetization will irk a lot of people.
But the monetization will keep new heroes and costumes and missions appearing, for a while, anyway.

If you liked MUA even a little I think you'll probably like this too.

Man, I keep going back and forth. I'm interested again, partly because the next Destiny 2 expansion isn't out until November. I was thinking that 60 dollars for single player alone is probably worth it, and if I can get some friends into it then I'm set.

I've heard very mixed reviews. I'll probably wait for it to drop and see the critic reviews first

Quote from: thetommyboy2002 on August 16, 2020, 01:09PM
I've been playing the beta on PC all weekend, and I am quite pleased with it.
No, the melee combat is not up there with Batman Arkham games, but it is not rubbish, either.
Very nice graphics, the 6 characters you can play as all "feel" pretty different, especially once you start to spec into the talent trees.
A fair number of bugs and crashes, if you play solo the hero AI will sometimes glitch and just run into stuff.
I haven't felt like my money was wasted pre-ordering it.
If it is still up, a person on youtube looked into the exe (where have I heard that before) and found a whole stack of apparently already playable characters:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3T6MkrhkU0

I really enjoy the destructable environments, the city map is good for that (can't take down whole buildings a la Freedom Force though).
Lots of nods to the movies and comics in the powersets and moves.
I'm actually pretty excited.

Also, welcome home, Blaw. We kept your room just as you left it.

Awww thanks!

If you have a console, this game might be worth the investment as Crystal Dynamics keeps comms clear with console users.

With Steam though; That's Nixxis' ballpark. Their communication has been quite lacking even though it's been 2 weeks.