I've bought the BETA on Steam, it does require a good machine!
However it is in my opinion a very solid game. The characters so far are really well fleshed out to be like their Comic book and MCU counterparts.
You start out taking turns as the original Avengers minus Hawkeye in the tutorial. After that, you get to play with Hulk and Kamala. After a mission, you just get Iron Man and Black Widow unlocked without playing their unlock missions for BETA purposes.
- Hulk: Hulk is him. He smashes. He has his Thunderclap as his Ultimate, a bull rush attack, can grab minor enemies and smash with them, throw debris from small to large size and use debris to spin around with. He has a Rage that can self heal. He smashes big.
- Kamala: My least favorite. She's a female Mr. Fantastic, so that's what you can expect in-game too. Great that she is her own character, still not a fan.
- Iron Man: Oh man. I'm torn between him and Hulk as favorites here. He plays just like MCU Iron Man! You can switch between weapon types too: Lasers, rockets or repulsors, and be in melee range. His Ultimate: Hulkbuster.
- Black Widow: I never thought I'd like BW as a character till I played this version. She feels agile, spy-ish. Uses batons and her pistols, and of course Widow's Sting. Her Ultimate is an overcharged suit and the batons are connected as a staff to deal insane damage with. She can also turn the party invisible, or herself.
You can level the characters up individually, and so far every War Table mission is replayable. This is great, as the characters do not level simultaneously.
If you like Arkham Asylum, then you'll like this too. Whilst it isn't exactly like it, it does have that combat feel to it and more paced.
All characters have a form of fast travel:
- Hulk can leap distances, larger when Sprint is held down.
- Widow can zip swing and grapple her way to enemies or ledges
- Kamala uses her creepy stretch arms
- Iron Man does what he does best: fly fast
The costumes tend to be more "realistic" looking, and all are custom save for Joe Fixit. That's about the only comic accurate costume I have seen so far. They do have some costumes, in particular Iron Man, that drew inspiration from the MCU. One looks more like the Mark 7, although a tad bit more bulky and iron-y.
I have to say, I disliked the designs however the gameplay is really good.