OpenHeroSelect (Includes support for XML2 and the MUA 36 & 50 Character Mods!)

Started by Tony Stark, June 09, 2019, 03:59PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Tony Stark on October 12, 2019, 02:36PM
Wait, did you install the Official Characters Pack before installing the 36R hack?

Of course I did! That was one of the first things I did since I started nodding MUA. I have hero select installed so of course I do. Why do you ask? The things that happened indicate I may not have it installed? Maybe should I try to reinstall it? What do you think? (Wouldn't make sense because I always use captain marvel, hulk and Hawkeye.

Quote from: Tony Stark on October 10, 2019, 06:01PM
Can you run it with the -d option and post the generated herostat.xml (put it in pastebin or something and link it)?

Also did you update the OHS herostat.cfg file's first line with the location of your game's data folder?

I don't know if this may be the cause of the problem, but maybe it is. I don't have my game located in Program Files, but in Program Files (x86). I still change the location to that and my old hero select works perfectly. But maybe OHS won't work in that file and only functions in Program Files? I don't know I've heard people say it's better and may solve hero select if you move the game to Program Files.

im new to this whole modding thing, does anyone have a video tutorial on how to use this thing? thanks

Quote from: Tony Stark on October 12, 2019, 02:36PM
Wait, did you install the Official Characters Pack before installing the 36R hack?

OK OK NEVERMIND! I FINALLY GOT IT TO WORK.

I had 2 problems that were the cause of why it wasn't working I don't know why:

1. The location: I'll NEVER put mua in program files (x86), EVER.
2. I firmly believe that my anti virus was somehow messing up with OHS. I put in the exceptions.

Thanks so much Tony and Anderson! If anyone is having this problem those are your solutions :)

Quote from: IOwnALego111 on October 12, 2019, 10:45PM
OK OK NEVERMIND! I FINALLY GOT IT TO WORK.

I had 2 problems that were the cause of why it wasn't working I don't know why:

1. The location: I'll NEVER put mua in program files (x86), EVER.
2. I firmly believe that my anti virus was somehow messing up with OHS. I put in the exceptions.

Thanks so much Tony and Anderson! If anyone is having this problem those are your solutions :)

1) I doubt the program being in the x86 folder was the problem.  MUA is a 32-bit program, so that is where it belongs.

2) I have also had my antivirus detect openheroselect.exe as a virus. 
@Tony Stark - Do you know why this is the case?

Quote from: scottsum on October 13, 2019, 08:04AM
1) I doubt the program being in the x86 folder was the problem.  MUA is a 32-bit program, so that is where it belongs.

Well your probably right you know more than me regarding this things... Nevertheless, it still worked for me so yeah I don't know... Thanks!

Changing the directory address is a deciding factor in correcting at least 80% of problems with Heroselect, and OpenHeroselect as well. Both have by default the herostat file address in C: \\ Program Files \\ Activision \\ Marvel - Ultimate Alliance \\ data \\. This address is natural from a program installation, casually on Win 32bit. The default installation address in Win 64bit is C: \ Program Files (x86). Marvel Ultimate Alliance, installed on Win 64bit, will have default installation address at C: \ Program Files (x86).
I was able to solve most of my problems with heroselect by removing the game directory from C: \ Program Files (x86) to C: \ Program Files.

Quote from: andersonbrazil on October 13, 2019, 03:50PM
Changing the directory address is a deciding factor in correcting at least 80% of problems with Heroselect, and OpenHeroselect as well. Both have by default the herostat file address in C: \\ Program Files \\ Activision \\ Marvel - Ultimate Alliance \\ data \\. This address is natural from a program installation, casually on Win 32bit. The default installation address in Win 64bit is C: \ Program Files (x86). Marvel Ultimate Alliance, installed on Win 64bit, will have default installation address at C: \ Program Files (x86).
I was able to solve most of my problems with heroselect by removing the game directory from C: \ Program Files (x86) to C: \ Program Files.

Well that was sure my case then and why it wasn't working. Thanks for the explanation :)

Unfortunately no clue. It may be the way the Python to EXE compiler packages it. My own antivirus had no issues with it.

Tony, sometimes when I do something simple to the herostat.cfg, like remove a stateffect from doom to resolve a conflict, I'll get the following error:

Generating herostat with 36 characters, please wait...
Compiling: herostat.xml to herostat.xmlb
parm 1 or { [ ( expected
[WinError 2] The system cannot find the file specified: 'herostat.xmlb' -> 'C:\\\\Program Files (x86)\\\\Activision\\\\Marvel - Ultimate Alliance\\\\data\\\\herostat.xmlb'

Do you know what would cause this?

p.s.

Oddly, in addition to the above edit that made openheroselect not work, it did work when I took the editing even further by removing the following lines:

Race {
      name = Mutant ;
      }

Race {
      name = XMen ;
      }

Not sure, to be honest. It might be confused with opening and closing braces. If you want to send me the herostat.cfg that broke it, I can try to debug it and find a fix.

Quote from: Tony Stark on October 21, 2019, 12:45PM
Not sure, to be honest. It might be confused with opening and closing braces. If you want to send me the herostat.cfg that broke it, I can try to debug it and find a fix.

I sent you a PM with a download link.

Cool, I'll take a look when I can. It may be a couple weeks until I can upload a fix; I won't have internet for a couple of weeks.

Quote from: Tony Stark on October 23, 2019, 08:31PM
Cool, I'll take a look when I can. It may be a couple weeks until I can upload a fix; I won't have internet for a couple of weeks.
That's cool, I've worked around it for now.  At this point it's more just to know if I did something wrong or if it really is some kind of bug.  Definitely not at all urgent.