Author Topic: The Outsider's Crypt (Contains 190+ mods, and 39 boosters)  (Read 983236 times)

Offline Outsider

• From The Darkest Realm
  • Admin
  • Incredible Member
  • Upvotes: 229
Re: The Outsider's Crypt (Contains 190+ mods, and 39 boosters)
« Reply #2100 on: October 23, 2019, 06:42am »
Always good to start with cheap and simple.  If nothing else, an old surge suppressor may have already taken a hit and not sufficiently protect your PC from surges going forward. So, if it's old, it worth replacing, even if it doesn't solve your immediate problem.  (And realistically, it's probably a 90-95% chance it won't.)

Graphics work pushes the machine harder than most other tasks, meaning it will run hotter.  On a good working machine, you might notice fans getting loud, more heat coming from the vents, and performance degrading as you go along.  In this case, we know you have a hardware failure somewhere; the increased heat will exasperate this. After doing graphics-heavy tasks for a while, you might see the machine completely lock up (where even the mouse won't move), crash / blue screen, or shut itself off entirely (some PCs are designed to do this when they get too hot.)

Right now the machine is at least usable for the moment, but whichever part is partially failing will probably completely fail at some point relatively soon, and pushing the machine harder will make it happen faster.  So, I would suggest holding off for now until the failure is addressed.

What is the model of that system?  It should have a product number on a label that looks something like this:

Product No. V8P23AA#ABA
Model No. 20-c020

So I should refrain from the 3-D conversion training until the problem is fixed. From what you said, it sounds like the 3-D conversion training DID in fact cause this problem because it heavily taxed my all-in-one computer, which is apparently only meant for light use. (Playing MUA or creating mods for the game isn't a problem though.) That means even if I eventually learn how to convert 3D models, it can only be done on a seldom to prevent further computer problems or a repeat of this problem.

Also, it sounds like I need to fix this problem fast, as "will completely fail at some point relatively soon" makes me uneasy. Should I just take my PC to an HP Service Center or a Staples store so they can fix it? Hopefully they won't adjust my PC back to factory default settings, as you stated that won't fix the problem anyway.

Offline scottsum

• Marvel Modder
  • Astonishing Member
  • Upvotes: 23
« Reply #2101 on: October 24, 2019, 05:12am »
Product No. V8P23AA#ABA
Model No. 20-c020

...From what you said, it sounds like the 3-D conversion training DID in fact cause this problem because it heavily taxed my all-in-one computer, which is apparently only meant for light use...

EDIT:  I just want to take a step back on this overheating thing- I have seen a lot of these types of machines overheat, so I threw that out as a possibility, and then we kind of went down the rabbit hole basing things on that hypothesis.  That may not be an issue on your machine at all.  I just wanted to at least note it because you'd be amazed how many people have space heaters right near their PCs, or situations like that.

Product No. V8P23AA#ABA
Model No. 20-c020

Also, it sounds like I need to fix this problem fast, as "will completely fail at some point relatively soon" makes me uneasy. Should I just take my PC to an HP Service Center or a Staples store so they can fix it? Hopefully they won't adjust my PC back to factory default settings, as you stated that won't fix the problem anyway.

I probably should have said MAY completely fail soon... Just don't put it off too long.  I would take it in for diags at your earliest convenience.  My suggestion would be to not go to big chain stores.  Find a mom and pop repair shop in your area.  They tend to give better service.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 07:16am by scottsum »
Great leaders do not seek power.  They have power thrust upon them.

My mods:
http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,10385.0.html

Offline ak2yny

• Rook
  • Upvotes: 0
« Reply #2102 on: October 27, 2019, 07:19am »
No rush for this one, at least for me, but I just wanted to let you know: There's something wrong with the Mantis file (broken?). Mediafire just keeps saying "Generating new download key"...

GET IT HERE: https://www.mediafire.com/?b4ha7iqcj16311m

This is the link mediafire forwards to:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/b4ha7iqcj16311m/Mantis+-+Outsider.zip

Offline Outsider

• From The Darkest Realm
  • Admin
  • Incredible Member
« Reply #2103 on: October 28, 2019, 02:29am »
No rush for this one, at least for me, but I just wanted to let you know: There's something wrong with the Mantis file (broken?). Mediafire just keeps saying "Generating new download key"...

This is the link mediafire forwards to:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/b4ha7iqcj16311m/Mantis+-+Outsider.zip

That's a Mediafire issue that randomly happens at times. Give it a couple of days and the link will work again.

Offline Outsider

• From The Darkest Realm
  • Admin
  • Incredible Member
« Reply #2104 on: November 01, 2019, 08:21pm »
Everyone, :sstar: Shatterstar has been updated. Thanks to the work of BaconWizard17, he now has his signature double-swords, and no longer needs that pesky ponytail bolton! And I've made it so that he uses those double-swords in melee combat! Check him out.

Always good to start with cheap and simple.  If nothing else, an old surge suppressor may have already taken a hit and not sufficiently protect your PC from surges going forward. So, if it's old, it worth replacing, even if it doesn't solve your immediate problem.  (And realistically, it's probably a 90-95% chance it won't.)

Turns out I'm one of the 5-10%...

Just today I took my computer to a local computer repair place that got the highest reviews. He put it on twice, and there were no beeps, no blinks. Imagine my shock witnessing this. He said that since the computer started just fine twice, that my computer isn't the problem. So, I went and bought a new surge protector to replace the old one I have, and as of this writing, my computer is working fine with no problems. Best possible outcome! Thanks for the 411. If I didn't listen to your suggestion of visiting a local computer repair place instead of the big chains, I would have spent money for nothing.

I will soon try again at converting 3-D models, now knowing that my computer is fine. And my next mod, Wave will be in the near future. Stay tuned...

Offline TheMK

• Fantastic Member
  • Upvotes: 7
« Reply #2105 on: November 02, 2019, 01:40am »
Fantastic news, Outsider! I'm glad that your computer is okay :)
My life, my love, and my lady is the sea.

Offline scottsum

• Marvel Modder
  • Astonishing Member
  • Upvotes: 23
« Reply #2106 on: November 02, 2019, 06:36am »

Turns out I'm one of the 5-10%...

Just today I took my computer to a local computer repair place that got the highest reviews. He put it on twice, and there were no beeps, no blinks. Imagine my shock witnessing this. He said that since the computer started just fine twice, that my computer isn't the problem. So, I went and bought a new surge protector to replace the old one I have, and as of this writing, my computer is working fine with no problems. Best possible outcome! Thanks for the 411. If I didn't listen to your suggestion of visiting a local computer repair place instead of the big chains, I would have spent money for nothing.

I will soon try again at converting 3-D models, now knowing that my computer is fine. And my next mod, Wave will be in the near future. Stay tuned...

That's great news, I'm glad I could help save you some cash!
Great leaders do not seek power.  They have power thrust upon them.

My mods:
http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,10385.0.html