Nightcrawler alpha

Started by fluid_static, January 12, 2007, 07:53PM

Previous topic - Next topic

awesome mod, keep up the good work!  Any way to tweak his teleport attack so it's not crappy like deadpool's? (more powerful and/or faster?)

There is no it not mod! It is a bug in game! When the Storm does a lightning! :)

Relax, you'll pop something. We can't see your picture, okay? And the guy was commenting on the first post, not yours.

Серьёзно, картинку не видать, поэтому не кипятись. Человек про сам мод отзывается.

Crimson Dynamo says:
In Soviet Russia, the games mod YOU!

If anyone needs any art for icons or portraits, feel  free to ask, I'll see what I can do.

Give him BP's ultimate instead of Deadpools, it looks a lot like Kurt's from XML2 and has similar effect

$0.02

f*ck i just figgered something out.  I can see attached pics but regular users cannot.  will fix

I have been able to see the SS posted by Aret if thats what you are referring to

January 17, 2007, 05:28AM #22 Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 05:38AM by fluid_static
No release with this post, unfortunately :(  I'm amazed at how many similarities there are between MUA Deadpool and XML2 Nightcrawler.  Deadpool's code calls for "nightcrawler_boltons", which seems to be a piece of the sword attachment function.  Many of their powers are pretty similar in execution, but the code has subtle differences that insist in causing me grief.  There are a couple of issues I'd like to mention that are of particular interest/frustration:

1:  I've swapped the Deadpool model with the XML2 NCrawler one - he now moves on all fours, but the animations seem languid - not slow, exactly, but a little too relaxed.  I'd assume it's a timescale problem, but speeding up his animation eludes me.

2: The XML2 powers scale differently - swapping in NCrawlers power1 - "Divine Blades" works just like DPools power1, but does a sickening amount of damage.  Swapping the XML2 "Sword Whirlwind" basically just replaces DPools "Blade Cyclone", but uses WAY more energy.  IIRC, there was a similar issue with the Cyclops mod?

3: swapping Xtremes is proving to be ten miles of bad road - the XML2 Xtreme I want ("Master of Chaos" - say it out loud without making the sign of the devil, I dare you!) calls on a lot of other functions, some of which seem to overlap with the Deadpool code in a bad way.  I can get it to work in a limited fashion (NC teleports and attacks only one target, for ridiculous DMG).  This is a time issue - I've gotta be pretty diligent in following function calls (?), and it's my main focus ATM.

4:  skin bolt-ons.  I'm using HHD Free Hex Editor to open the skin files.  I have NO idea what I'm doing there.  I've read the Proof-of-Concept thread, but can't find the spot where I can Hex out those swords.  Likewise, attaching the tail eludes me as well - what file do I define the tail in?  I'm pretty sure it's not in the skin files...

I've decided to stick with modding the Deadpool code - using the XML2 NCrawler code seems a little backwards for several reasons (ask if you're curious - long story short: I've had better luck getting a good, balanced NC using the DP code as a base - the XML2 version seems best for reference).  I'd rather switch in similar powers, then tweak them, rather than re-scale the XML2 versions.  I could really use some advice on switching out the skin-based bolt-ons.

Good news? Uh, well, I got the "Bamf"! working.  And I get to laugh evertime I see "Master of Chaos" in the talent file.  Makes me think of Black Sabbath, and make Ditko-hands out of pure metal joy.

When i can download FUll NC With Extreeme power and tail ?

well, that gets right to the point, doesn't it? 

When it's done.   :P

QuoteI've read the Proof-of-Concept thread, but can't find the spot where I can Hex out those swords.  Likewise, attaching the tail eludes me as well - what file do I define the tail in?  I'm pretty sure it's not in the skin files...
You edit them out after you decompile the powerstyle and look at it intensely. You'll figure it out if you stare long enough. Took me four hours and a liter of Schweppes Tonic (not an ad... because they don't pay me money for advertising them). What's your poison?
As for the tail, look into boltonactoranims.xmlb for a hint.
You SHOULD define it in the herostat, of course, into the bolton slot bolton_tail, IIRC. Look at XML2 herostat and MUA herostat's Wolverine for examples of how the bolton code works.

Crimson Dynamo says:
In Soviet Russia, the games mod YOU!

If anyone needs any art for icons or portraits, feel  free to ask, I'll see what I can do.

Quote from: fluid_static on January 17, 2007, 05:28AM
No release with this post, unfortunately :(  I'm amazed at how many similarities there are between MUA Deadpool and XML2 Nightcrawler. 
Yep. MUA Deadpool = 3 of XML2 Nightcrawler's moves & XML2 Deadpool's gun move, debuff, and extreme (minus cold damage and as a basic move, not an extreme). His only new powers are his team boost and his extreme. :D

Also, to hide the swords, open one of the skins with a hex editor and see how the swords are defined. Then hide them in herostat. Check out Deadpool's files for an idea of how to approach it. :P

Thanks very much for the hints.  However, it's unwise to underestimate my sheer density.  I've learned to attach all manner of objects to Nightcrawler's ass, excepting his tail (or Hussar's whip, Thunderballs', uh, ball, or any of the "actor" boltons defined in boltonactoranims.xmlb).  Taking a cue from Noel, I experimented with varying levels of tonic-supplements, managing to create Flaming-bum, Claw-bum, and Baton-bum Nightcrawlers.  While novel, these are poor substitutes for his tail.  The usual hero boltons defined in herostat.engb are all static models (?) or at least defined differently than NCs tail.

Cross-examining npcstat.engb and boltonactoranims.xmlb, I was hoping I could try pasting Fin Fang Foom's wings onto NC(as the other two villains attach their boltons in their powerstyles), but it crashed on load.  Using the same code with NC's tail in place of the wings doesn't seem to work either, no matter how much I rename the files and change the references (this does not CTD, though. Doesn't seem to do anything, really).

Is there any way I can get a copy of the Herostat file from XML2?   I'm searching back-bins for a copy of this game, but haven't found it yet...

ummm...will it be possible to get the smoke effect when NC teleports becuse DP doesnt really have that. thnx for all the work and i wis u the best of luck. cant wait to see it.