Avengers Mod V2.0, 9/feb/07 NPC>27Mod Beta 19/feb/07

Started by thetommyboy2002, January 22, 2007, 06:17AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Cool info, guys -- if I come up with a fix on my own, I'll post it as a patch for others to use!

:)

I can confirm that the Scarlet Witch is the cause of the problem -- I have a saved game file that I've been used for testing that has all four characters (Scarlet Witch, Iron Man, Captain America, and the Visioin) charged-up and ready for an "Extreme"; if I trigger a Team Extreme using the Scarlet Witch, her extreme goes off with no real effect (just a slight special effect but no extreme message tag), then the other three characters do NOT chain their extremes; I can then trigger a Team Extreme using one of the remaining three characters, and they ALL chain their extremes correctly. 

If I try to trigger a Team Extreme using one of the other charactes while all four are still powered-up, the Scarlet Witch launches her extreme first, which kicks the game into the dreaded slow-time mode . . . then, after 15 minutes or so it times out and THEN the other three characters fire off their chained extremes.

I've tried tweaking the ps files to no avail, but at least I've been able to confirm where the problem lies.

I think perhaps the real issue is the fact that the ps_scarletwitch2 and the ps_ghostrider files are affected by the Tommybody Avengers Mod, so I've tried tweaking BOTH files simultaneously, but that has yielded no success either.

Ideas, anybody?

:(

On the plus side, I'm getting pretty darn good at the decompile/recompile stuff (hint: batch files are your friend), so I guess you can call that a silver lining of sorts . . .

;)

February 16, 2007, 12:08AM #107 Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 12:38AM by The Four-Eyed Avenger
Random thought on how to fix the Scarlet Witch's Extreme: 

Simply replace the extreme section of the ps_scarletwitch2 file (and the ps_ghostrider file?) with the extreme section from Dr. Strange's ps file?  This could be the quickest, easiest fix since the XML2=>MUA extremes seem to be problematic.

Too late to try this now -- it's WAY past bedtime -- but if anybody else has any opinions on whether or not this would work, please let me know . . . if this kind of thing isn't do-able, it could save me some potentially fruitless trial-and-error later.

???

EDITED TO ADD:  Tried this before bed but unfortunately this did NOT seem to work -- the Scarlet Witch still doesn't seem to have an actual "Exteme" attack because all I get is a slight animation with no extreme label when I initiate an Extreme (or a Team Extreme) using the Scarlet Witch, and the other three characters do NOT chain their Extremes following her "Extreme"; when I launch a Team Extreme while controlling one of the other four characters the Scarlet Witch launches her "Extreme" first and I get the dreaded slow-time bug.

EXTREMELY frustrating.

:(

EDITED TO ADD MORE:  Some slight progress -- I can now get Wanda's extreme to launch, but it seems that the "Revitalize" extreme is interfering with the attack extreme . . . not sure what the interaction problem is, but I disabled the "Revitalize" as an "extreme" and her extreme attack now works AND chains correctly.  Not a complete fix, because now her extreme does NOT expend the extreme energy, which gives her the ability for UNLIMITED extremes.  Could be a handy cheat, but I don't view this as a "fix" yet . . . plus, this "fix" would involve effectively ditching the "Revitalize" function.

So, some progress, but not a true solution yet.

More later . . . sleep now.

;)

Quoteplus, this "fix" would involve effectively ditching the "Revitalize" function.
Considering balancing calls for the ditching of all the non-attack Xtremes for the XML2->MUA conversions (as much as I love Will of the Goddess), this isn't really a loss, y'know.

Crimson Dynamo says:
In Soviet Russia, the games mod YOU!

If anyone needs any art for icons or portraits, feel  free to ask, I'll see what I can do.

I was not aware that the XML2->MUA conversions called for the ditching of all the non-attack Xtremes -- no WONDER this has been causing problems!

:o

Thanks for the heads-up!

I didn't say it's compulsory. I said that IF we want the new characters to be balanced out with the existing ones, we'll HAVE to ditch the non-attack Xtremes. Leastways, that was what I meant. Then again, your post also has a point - mebbe MUA's been set up with just one Xtreme in mind. Hmm...

Crimson Dynamo says:
In Soviet Russia, the games mod YOU!

If anyone needs any art for icons or portraits, feel  free to ask, I'll see what I can do.

It does seem like there's more powers in an XML2 powerset than there's room for in an MUA one.
So all this is my fault for not bothering to adequately edit Wanda's powerset when I 'ported her over.

February 16, 2007, 07:26AM #112 Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 07:28AM by The Four-Eyed Avenger
Not a problem, Tommyboy -- your contributions to the community are stellar, and the rest of us can pitch in to help with the minutia when necessary (it's the least we can do, in fact!).  As awesome as you are, one guy can't be expected to do it all -- in modding, it DOES take a village!

;)

Once I parlay my findings into a fully-acceptable "fix," I will post my ps_scarletwitch2.engb file here for others to benefit from (and you can include it in your next release/re-release if you'd like).

There will be another update to the Mod, this time a different choice will be offered.
You can either overwrite characters as before but this time only the herostat will be overwritten, all meshes, powerstyles, icons, talents etc will be untouched, meaning its a LOT easier to go back.
Or, you can keep all the originals and have the Avengers selectable via the new NPC>27 code I'm working on. With this you talk to the Vision and pick an NPC to replace your currently selected character, meaning that we should have all 25 Originals, Moon Knight, Colossus, the 4 PSP "exclusives"(Hawkeye, Black Widow, Capt.Marvel, Ronin), PLUS all my Avengers, plus sundry extra Xmen (Cyclops, Angel, Nightcrawler, etc), plus some villains like Magneto, Mandarin, Venom.
Now, doing all this is both time and labour intensive, so it will be awhile as the technology/code is far from perfect or finished, but it DOES work, and should revolutionize the game, opening up what may be an unlimited number of playable characters.
More news as it happens.

Oh, and I now have a working playable Swordsman (4 costumes, new powerset, icons hud) who will be in the new release, as and when it gets done.

February 16, 2007, 08:57AM #115 Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 09:01AM by The Four-Eyed Avenger
Quick question for the knowledgeable -- in order to properly eliminate the problematic "Revitalize" xtreme, should I also edit the Ghostrider and Scarlet Witch Talent files?  And do I need to do anything with the herostat files?

???

Thanks in advance -- I'm kinda feeling my way around in the dark here, so every little bit of advise is much appreciated!

EDITED TO ADD: A quick peek at the herostat files seem to indicate that nothing needs to be done here -- still not sure about the Talent files, though.

As far as I can recall, and it is all blurring a bit, you should only need the ghostrider one(s).
The scarlet witch ones are semi redundant.
Herostat shouldnt need touching if all you are doing is removing a power, unless its mentioned IN herostat.

Tommyboy would you kindly include Cable in your infinitely wise NPC>27 swap procedure?  I'm not sure if Blizz included it in his zip file, but make sure to grab the newest ps file I have linked later on in the thread. 

Thank you!!!

Quote from: aerophex on February 16, 2007, 01:18PM
Tommyboy would you kindly include Cable in your infinitely wise NPC>27 swap procedure?  I'm not sure if Blizz included it in his zip file, but make sure to grab the newest ps file I have linked later on in the thread. 

Thank you!!!

Yep, the idea will be to round up EVERY Mod and character available into one NPCstat, and release with as many of the models, powersets etc as is feasable (possibly in batches of 10 or 20 characters, if the XML2 brigade get ported over en masse).
At least, that's MY idea.
Then as other characters get added we need only update 2 files: NPCstat, and the conversation file. Everything else can just be copied into place without even overwriting anything else.