Activision confirms new spiderman title and sequal to marvel ultimate alliance!!

Started by WaRi0, February 07, 2008, 06:25PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Gevth on February 08, 2008, 02:08PM
I read somewhere that the deal between Marvel and Activision allows them to use whoever they want from the Marvel universe, while Sega has the rights to make the games in which those specifics characters are the main ones. For example, I don't think that they could name the game something like "Captain America and the Avengers", and it probably won't have those characters in the box-art.

Then again, I read this in the gamefaqs board...

Interesting. They DID only made the EXTRA downloadable MUA characters after the Hulk's licensing was freed up and returned to Marvel. If they had the right to use whoever they wanted, they would have used Hulk from the start. But maybe this is a part of their NEW deals, to keep the doors open for follow up products if they are hits. (ie. Sega would have to make room for a follow up to MUA, since it did well... like they do with movies.) I'm guessing here, because I'm darn curious. AND I'm hopeful that we have no restrictions on MUA 2.

And to follow up on what Mingy said, both Activision's and Sega's announcements claimed exclusive rights when they were first acquired. So obviously, some provision is in place to allow this... or we'll be seeing a limited line-up in the new game.
Check out issue #74 of Advanced Iron.
Iron Man In Action columnist, Advanced Iron Magazine.
http://www.advancediron.org/

Quote from: brohara on February 08, 2008, 01:55PM
Wow... I thought they would NOT be doing a follow up,
with so many character licenses gone to the competition?
Sega has the rights to the Marvel movie characters now,
which include Iron Man, Thor, Cap, Hulk...

I'm actually hoping for a roster with a lot of NEW characters in it, even if that means dropped ones. Remember, we would (hopefully) still be able to mod in the likes of Cap, Stark, and Thor with their MUA stuff if they don't appear due to licensing.

(We better get an official PC Hawkeye this time around :king:)

This is the best video game news I've heard all year.
What would y'all like to see?

ALL Xbox 360 Gold Edition playable characters
Quicksilver, Sentry, Professor X, Beast, She-Hulk, Odin, Mephisto, Juggernaut
More costumes
Graphics akin to Transformers, Spider-Man 3, or Full Auto
2-4 player VS mode
Custom mission creator

Quote from: BliZZ on February 08, 2008, 04:32PM
I'm actually hoping for a roster with a lot of NEW characters in it, even if that means dropped ones. Remember, we would (hopefully) still be able to mod in the likes of Cap, Stark, and Thor with their MUA stuff if they don't appear due to licensing.

(We better get an official PC Hawkeye this time around :king:)

I seriously doubt that the M:UA mods made at this site could be easily ported. Given the current state of things, M:UA2 will most likely be released for next-gen consoles and PC (hopefully), which makes me think that current models won't be compatible with the next game.

Given how it's taking them 2 years to make this new one, they're probably using other tools to make models and stuff.

On the other hand, maybe all versions of M:UA2 will be compatible among each other, and if some platform gets exclusives, it would be easier to port them.

That said, I hope for a huuuuge roster (50 or so), no playable villains (I'd rather have more obscure heroes instead), more major villains to fight, one NYC streets level and a Team feature that encourages to try new characters.

Quote from: Gevth on February 08, 2008, 06:05PM
I seriously doubt that the M:UA mods made at this site could be easily ported. Given the current state of things, M:UA2 will most likely be released for next-gen consoles and PC (hopefully), which makes me think that current models won't be compatible with the next game.

I seriously doubt that the M:UA mods made at this site couldn't be easily ported. Given the fact that they used damn near the EXACT SAME engine for all 3 games in the series so far, I don't think it is a far cry to assume the models will be forward compatible. And, assuming MUA2 comes out for Wii, the chance of models for all systems being inter-compatible is slim to none (though them all being compatible for an anticipated PC version would be nice)

Quote from: BliZZ on February 08, 2008, 06:49PMI seriously doubt that the M:UA mods made at this site couldn't be easily ported. Given the fact that they used damn near the EXACT SAME engine for all 3 games in the series so far
he's got a point!

wait a minute.. another spider-man game? i didnt feel the need for that. i mean.... they really need to make something new to sell it! like.... i dunno.. a playable dr octopus. WAIT! i know!

ALL spider-man villains.... ...cliff-hanger pause...   ....playable!

huh? sounds nice.

Online co-op, Vs. Mode & DLC for ALL systems that can support it would be nice.

If licensing issues do get in the way of the character options, I see a repeat of XML2 with villains taking up half the roster, cooperating with the heroes to deal with a bigger threat (alien invasion maybe?). Star power is a factor in these kinds of games & well known villains are more marketable than obscure heroes.

Quote from: MAtgS on February 08, 2008, 09:08PM
Online co-op, Vs. Mode & DLC for ALL systems that can support it would be nice.

If licensing issues do get in the way of the character options, I see a repeat of XML2 with villains taking up half the roster, cooperating with the heroes to deal with a bigger threat (alien invasion maybe?). Star power is a factor in these kinds of games & well known villains are more marketable than obscure heroes.

Totally agreed with both ideas!!!
It would be great if there aren't any platform-specific exclusive contents...(Wishful thinking.) The fact that the PC version is "moddable" is not an excuse for missing the so-called exclusive contents. I have seen alot of ignorant super-duper-ultra-hardcore-next-gen-console-fans using this excuse to ditch the PC gamers.

*If* they do PC DLC it'll be free.  Otherwise someone will pay for it, crack it, and release it to the public for free.

As far as things like Xbox 360 exclusives, Microsoft pays devs/publishers well to have 360 exclusives, which is why they'll always have exclusives.

Quote from: BliZZ on February 07, 2008, 07:15PM
Come out for PC. Come out for PC. Come out for PC. Come out for PC. Come out for PC. Come out for PC. Come out for PC. Come out for PC. Come out for PC. Come out for PC. Come out for PC. Come out for PC. Come out for PC. Come out for PC.

/prayer

Ditto here.

Runaways, young avengers, Hulk, jean grey, quicsillver, and namor.  should be playible. maybe they'll use some of our mods because the license ( C:\Program Files\Activision\Marvel - Ultimate Alliance\Docs\enu/license)says:
QuoteAll New Game Materials created by you shall be exclusively owned by Activision and/or  its licensors as a derivative work (as such term is described under U.S. copyright law) of the Program and Activision and its licensors may use any New Game Materials made publicly available by you for any purpose whatsoever, including but not limited to, for purpose of advertising and promoting the Program
so is posible they'll use  noelmahcs  :moonk: :colossus: blizz's  :quicks: and  :namor: dark_marks  :venom: mingy's  :ifist: etc

I'd like to see Sentry, Carnage, Modern Hulk, Wasp, Rogue, and Mystique.  By modern hulk I mean like in world war hulk and civil war, hes smarter now.      I would also like to see Grey Hulk if they actually made him not just give hulk grey skin and call it grey hulk.  In the comics grey hulk wise-cracked as much as spiderman and had a very nasty temper. :)  I remember the game that came out for the first hulk movie had a cheat code that let u play as grey hulk and they got it right, he wise-cracked non-stop just about throughout the entire game. :)

i just hope they'll add more features like, i dont know, climbing on walls (useful for spidey-venom-carnage-droctopus-lizard etc) maybe different camera options

i suppose they'll add new characters such as sandman, dr octopus, some of galactus' heralds maybe...

and i bet the graphics will be amazing! (well at least i hope they'll avoid the latex-covered-in-oil effect!!)

What would be a MUA game without Captain America, Iron Man, Thor and Hulk? First of all Marvel is the one to give permission to companies to use the characters from their books and I would think that Marvel knowing that MUA sold really well that a sequel would be made and that certain characters from the first game would be in the sequel so they would make exceptions for Activision and/or Sega to have permission to use those characters in their games that they want to release. If MUA did not do as well as it did than Marvel would not care to have a sequel made. Cap, Thor, Iron Man and Hulk pretty much make up their mainstream universe as does Spider-Man and a slew of others and a game based on their universe especially a sequel would be nothing without Cap, Thor, Iron Man, Hulk, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four. If these characters were not in a game that is based on the Marvel Universe than I would not buy it as I am sure others would not also. I know that they did not put the Hulk in the original game but only as DLC later. I would think and hope that they would put him in the second game as a character that actually has a comic mission. Activision has a second chance to make MUA better and how the characters should have been in the first game. I just hope that they dont mess it up.