Post your PC specs

Started by THX, January 26, 2007, 05:10PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Just curious what everyone's working with.  Mine needs a GPU upgrade but it's surviving.

P4 2.8ghz Northwood Core @ 3.4 w/Zalman cooler
eVGA 6800GT w/Arctic Cooler
1GB Kingston DDR400 ValuRam
Asus P4P800-SE
Fortron 400w PSU w/120mm fan
Antec Sonata II Case
Zalman Fan Speed Controller
2 Seagate 400gb HDs
Viewsonic 19" 2ms LCD

My system is pretty dated by now, the only alteration from its stock off-the-shelf form was the change of a PSU (from 300W to 350W because my old one couldn't handle the new vid card strain) and the video card because the original GFTi4200 128mb I had I managed to actually SLAG.

The system is as follows:
Intel Pentium 4 2.53 GHz CPU
256MB+512=768MB DDR RAM (don't ask me the make, please, because I don't have a good memory for this stuff) :D)
ASUS GF6600GT 256mb AGP
80GB and 120GB Seagate HDDs
Creative SB Audigy (the very first one without any postfixes) - with the fancy OpenAL beta drivers

Nothing to write home about, but it gets the job done :D

Crimson Dynamo says:
In Soviet Russia, the games mod YOU!

If anyone needs any art for icons or portraits, feel  free to ask, I'll see what I can do.

Heh...my system.. built on the cheap about 3.5 years ago...
Cheap generic case, (500Watt PSU fitted later)
Amd Athlon XP 2100+ (clocks at 1600MHz or so),
Some cheap,generic mainboard
1gig DDR cheap generic
Geforce 7600GT (bought 4 months ago so I could see fancy MUA lighting for meshing purposes)
2 80 gig and one 120gig HDD
Creative Audigy (bought cheap because it was unpackaged)
20 inch monitor thats @three feet deep and weighs @700lbs(bought secondhand for bargain 20quid!)

Well, it's not here yet, but it's coming:

Alienware Area-51 M9750 (laptop):

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7600 2.33GHz 4MB Cache 667MHz FSB
Operating System: Genuine Windows XP Professional (the hell with that Vista garbage)
Chassis: 17" WideUXGA 1920 x 1200 LCD with Clearview Technology
Memory: 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SO-DIMM at 667MHz - 2 x 1024MB
System Drive: 200GB Serial ATA 1.5Gb/s 7,200 RPM w/ NCQ & 16MB Cache
Primary CD ROM/DVD ROM: 8x Dual Layer CD-RW/DVD±RW
Video/Graphics Card: Dual 512MB NVidia GeForce Go 7950 GTX - SLI Enabled
Wireless Network Card: Internal Intel PRO Wireless 3945 a/b/g Mini-Card
Sound Card: High-Definition Audio with surround sound
Some day, someone will best me.  But it won't be today, and it won't be you.

The artist formerly known as Burning Rage.

May 18, 2007, 05:35PM #4 Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 10:07AM by GuyIncognito
Case: Yeong Yang YY-0221(http://www.yeongyang.com/yy-0221.htm) a.k.a The Borg Cube
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13 GHz (Zalman CNPS 9500)
MOBO: ABit Fatality FP-IN9 SLI (NIC, Sound)
RAM: 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 MHz
GPU: EVGA NVIDIA 8800 GTS 640MB
HD: Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB SATA 7200 RPM

Guy- crazy case!  Any advantage of using that vs. a standard desktop?  Nice GPU too :D

Rage- SLI in a lappy  :eek:  Hope that's got a huge battery with it, or at least good power eating figures at idle.  Sounds like you'll be keeping that one for a long time

Quote from: THX on May 20, 2007, 07:32AM
Guy- crazy case!  Any advantage of using that vs. a standard desktop?  Nice GPU too :D

Not really any advantage persay to using it; it's actually more of a disadvantage to using it over a standard desktop case because of the slightly higher ventilation requirements. It was designed to be used with hosting a server in mind.

I have read however that alot of people use this particular case in order to use a watercooling solution. My thoughts are always that water / electricity don't mix, so I just go with air driven silent cooling.

Quote from: THX on May 20, 2007, 07:32AM
Rage- SLI in a lappy  :eek:  Hope that's got a huge battery with it, or at least good power eating figures at idle.  Sounds like you'll be keeping that one for a long time

Most definitely.  The model is a brand new one which is made to support heavy power usage like this, and Alienware has been using SLI in laptops for a while now.  The battery is on steroids, and I got an extra one to go along with it.  I'll always have it plugged in while at class though, so I won't have to worry about it.  I figured if I'm going to get a laptop, might as well get the most advanced stuff out there I can so I won't have to upgrade for a while.  With the chassis it has, it's easily removable so I can upgrade my processor too, which can't be said about the Dell I currently have.  It's going to be hella fun though.  :)

Link

Nice Rig GuyIncognito, it looks a lot like my current NewEgg wishlist...  :p~

I'm torn between Corsair and Crucial RAM and now that the ATI DX10 cards came out...
How do you like your GPU for price / performance?

The 8800 GTS was a long story... it started out as two EVGA 7900 GS KOs (with the intention to go SLI); one that I had purchased on NewEgg and the other which I had purchased on eBay. Unfortunately, I wasn't that well informed on EVGA's Step Up Policy until it was too late, so I only utilized their Step Up Program for one of the cards.

To answer the question of price / performance, worth it unless in the future we go to a 3-card SLI standard. I went from playing Titan Quest on a laptop with an ATI x300 (128 mb) with all advanced effects off to a playing it on the rig I stated above with all the advanced effects on.

Unless you absolutely need the 768 mb GTX there really shouldn't be that much of a noticeable difference which would warrant the extra money.

--------------------------------

On a side note, I'm now contemplating mods to my case.

I've already cut a whole in the side for 120mm LED fan as a exhaust... but the fact that the LEDs on the motherboard glow red and the fan glows white almost begs me to mod the case further.

May 21, 2007, 04:57PM #10 Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 04:59PM by Burning Rage
Show me dual 768mb 8800 GTX cards on a rig and I'll be one happy man (which is what I want eventually... overkill, yes, but very nice overkill nonetheless).  On that note, since I got my souped up laptop coming, it's time to start upgrading my desktop.  Has anyone tried or heard anything good/bad about Intel's quad core?  I'm not sure how it will interact with programs, since not everything is multi-threaded yet.  I mean, the dual core has problems enough as it is (a lot of older games have issues with a dual core processor because they are single-threaded programs and were not designed to use both cores of the processor, thus using only one and operating at half your processor speed), but a quad core?  That's just asking for trouble I would think.  Any opinions?

May 21, 2007, 05:42PM #11 Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 05:44PM by GuyIncognito
Quote from: Burning Rage on May 21, 2007, 04:57PM
Show me dual 768mb 8800 GTX cards on a rig and I'll be one happy man (which is what I want eventually...

I'll see if my friend has any pictures of his watercooling setup.

As for Quad Core.
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/09/10/four_cores_on_the_rampage/page14.html

I'm finally getting my laptop!  They decided they were going to stop delaying the order and build the damn thing.  I've changed the order a tad since then, now featuring two fast as Chocolate egg hard drives... in RAID 0!  Updated specs:

Operating System: Genuine Windows XP Professional (the hell with that Vista garbage)
System Drive(s): Dual (2) 200GB Serial ATA 1.5Gb/s 7,200 RPM w/ NCQ & 16MB Cache (RAID 0 configuration, 400gb total)

I should get it in the next week or two.  :)

June 26, 2007, 06:34PM #13 Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 06:40PM by Norrin Radd
Quote from: Burning Rage on June 26, 2007, 04:28PM

Your not going to wait for/get the 800MHz FSB?, obviously your not, but I guess then, why not?

Quote from: Burning Rage on June 26, 2007, 04:28PM
I'm finally getting my laptop!  They decided they were going to stop delaying the order and build the damn thing.  I've changed the order a tad since then, now featuring two fast as Chocolate egg hard drives... in RAID 0!  Updated specs:

System Drive(s): Dual (2) 200GB Serial ATA 1.5Gb/s 7,200 RPM w/ NCQ & 16MB Cache (RAID 0 configuration, 400gb total)

I should get it in the next week or two.  :)

I'm jealous! :P Mind to tell how much it costed for that deal?