The Big Icon Making Thread

Started by Noelemahc, February 23, 2007, 09:26AM

Previous topic - Next topic
February 23, 2007, 09:26AM Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 09:30AM by Noelemahc
Yes, this is where the iconsets will go. TO cover what we have at the moment:

All XML1 playable character power icons (raw BMP dumps from DXT3 format): http://h1.ripway.com/ivank/XML1/XML1iconsBMP.rar
Sample:

XML2PSP iconsets:
Cable

Cannonball

Dark Phoenix

X-Man

The above only include the part of the image where the icons were -- the empty spaces I ignored :P

I will be ripping and putting up the other XML2 iconsets as I go because the PSP version, believe it or not, has them in slightly higher quality than the PC one, and since MUA uses BMP files that are TWICE the resolution, we do want them to look their best.
I shall also cover all the quest icons as these can be salvaged for power icon use as well since they use the same graphical style. Yes.

This thread will not cover the MUAPSP icons as they are all finally fixed and available for download here.

Crimson Dynamo says:
In Soviet Russia, the games mod YOU!

If anyone needs any art for icons or portraits, feel  free to ask, I'll see what I can do.

OOO. Cannonball and X-Man's don't even look too off, color-wise (which is good, as those are the 2 which will eventually be converted)

Apparently, the makers of Cable's and DP's icons took one too many hits the night before :D

Update:

Here is the raw template file for the icons:

If you want the BMP with the channels already set up as they should be, here it is.

Also, here are all of the XML2 Quest icons (raw BMP dumps merged into one file; sample below is at half size, actual size 512x256, unified from all five files; dumping the grayscale versions due to their obvious redundancy):

Next stop: Universal Talent icons, and then I move on to per character sets :D

Crimson Dynamo says:

If anyone needs any art for icons or portraits, feel  free to ask, I'll see what I can do.

Surprise!
Okay, first things first. "Why PSP?" you will ask.

On the left, we have a DXT3-compressed iconset from XML2PC. Note the dead outlines and poor transitions.
On the right, however, we have the palletized XML2PSP version. Note the smooth transitions and lack of colour bleeding. This is because the pallettized format calls for per-pixel storage, while DXT3 stores pixels in blocks of four to achieve its compression (which kills the colours). Does that answer the question? Good.

First, the XML2PC exclusives, which are not available elsewhere. Preview:

(raw BMP dumps here)
Left to right: Pyro, Gladiator(!) and Sabertooth. I don't really know who the game refers to as "Gladiator", but these icons are unique and unused. Enjoi.

Now for the pallettized prettyness. These are in PNG, per-pixel accurate with all the colours packed in. This is as good as it gets.

Apocalypse (from the Harmonic DNA fight sequence)

Bishop

Colossus

Unswizzling takes up time, so this WILL take a while more. I will also put up ALL XML2 icons of the characters that made it into MUA as playable (as seen here with Colossus) since their icons in XML1, 2 and MUA are entirely different, as you can probably see already. Yesss. We shall pick out the icons we WILL use, and others will be salvaged for other characters, or to be re-drawn into other characters :D Ayup.

Excelsior!

Crimson Dynamo says:

Moving along.
Cyclops

Deadpool

Iron Man

Talent Icons (some of which can be used as bases for new icons of your own)

Professor Xavier

And, just for the heck of it, one pixel-perfect empty slot image, XML2 styled.

MUA just blacks out its empty slots though. :(

Anyway, since IM and DP are present in MUA, their icons are free for grabs for whatever new-and-original (or XML1-upsampling) project you may have, just like Colossus's above set. Yessiree.

Crimson Dynamo says:

Ditto for Cyc's, seeing as Charlie_Murphy already made a custom set. Not sure how useful they'll be, however, given the presence of the visor in most of em :P

Well, half of them can still be reused -- the target, the blasts, the chess piece, the crown, the shield, the face and the trap thingy. Or redrawn into something entirely different :D Use your imagination, dangnabbit!

Crimson Dynamo says:

Moving along.
Gambit

Iceman

Juggernaut

Magneto

You can now see a pattern to what same images the XML2 icons were based on (though the same can be said about XML1 icons as well).
Eight more chars to go, and my eyes are bleeding raw. Gonna go get some sleep.

Crimson Dynamo says:

All done!

Left to right, top row: Nightcrawler, Jean Grey, Rogue, Scarlet Witch.
Bottom row: Storm, Sunfire, Toad, Wolverine.

That about covers it for now. Next week, I'll toy around with making some of my own -- right now, I've got some skinnage to do!

Crimson Dynamo says:

Noel, can you adapt some for my MUA char conversions? With banners? Most have to have certain icons dropped to fit 'em with banners. If you are gonna do this, want me to type up which should be dropped to limit them to 12?

Yes please. I will then do them as I find the images for banner use, a'ight?
Ackshully, I can do ALL of them in this fashion, once I know which icons are safe to drop (unless the subject has 12 or less icons - so Toad, Rogue, Cannonball, X-Man and Xavier will get them regardless).

Crimson Dynamo says:

February 26, 2007, 01:20PM #11 Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 02:21PM by BliZZ
Alright, I'll get up a list with all the safe to drop icons. Also, are Beast's icons in PSPXML2? Cause I believe he had some in PCXML2.

EDIT: Here's the break-down: (rows go top-bottom; icons are left-right)
Bishop: Remove icons 2 & 3 from his second row
Gambit: Remove icon 4, row 3
Juggs: Remove icon 4, row 1
Magneto: Remove icon 1, row 4
Pyro: Remove icon 2, row 4 and 1 of the dupes

I can't say for the others as fluid_static was doing Kurt; darkmythology was doing Jean, and Toothy; someone was working on a Sunfire, and tommy did Wanda (although I have yet to see if her values have been adjusted :P)

Beast's icons are identical to XML1's, and of the same quality as in my XML1 pack. You can, however, spice him up with his quest icon from the Quest icon set and probably several similarly-coloured icons from the other chars' sets, no?

Crimson Dynamo says:

Here's what I came up with, for now:

And two banner options:
Beast

Cyclops

All art originates from the Marvel Masterpieces set. And actually belongs to those characters. All of 'em. Yesss.
I merged the two Xavier iconsets together as there was sufficient empty space. This will depend on whoever will be porting him, of course, but I think we'll need to recolour the images later on.

In case anyone cares, the banner images should have a size of 256x64, although only the central piece will be visible entirely, the sides will go off in transition because of the alpha. Yeah.

Crimson Dynamo says:

February 27, 2007, 03:31AM #14 Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 03:36AM by BliZZ
The banner also gets stretched, yes? I was under the impression that it did, and that it had to be 512 long, but compressed to 256. If not, disregard this :P

EDIT: Case-in-point: (this is tommy's wip iconset, where the 4th row consists of more icons)