Favorite Marvel (and/or superhero) games?

Started by urthman, June 28, 2008, 02:47PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Besides MUA, the X-Men Legends games, what are your favorite superhero games?

I really like Ultimate Spider-Man (PC version), and Hulk: Ultimate Destruction (Gamecube).  The GBA version of Ultimate Spider-Man is also pretty fun - it's the first 2D Spider-Man game where Spidey really feels fast and agile with the web-zipping and all (it feels as good as Castlevania SOTN, if you've played that game).

Freedom Force was a great game that had some great Marvel and DC mods for it.

What about that Fantastic Four game that came out with the movies?  Is it anything like the X-Men legends games?

The first 3D Spider-Man game that came out for the Playstation (I played the PC version) was a lot of fun at the time.  Going back to it now, the controls are almost as awkward as trying to play the original Tomb Raider. 

I love pretty much all of the Spider-man games.  I love the old PS1 games inparticular.  Spider-Man (movie) was okay at best, but Spidey 2 and 3 rocked.  Hulk Ultimate Destruction is another awesome one.

Truthfully Marvel has cornered the market on great superhero games.  Freedom Force was okay, but it mostly wasn't my style.  DC's Justice League Heroes was a poor man's MUA, which is a shame because the game had tons of potential.

Spider-Man 2: The Movie Game was amazing. IMO, it's the best Spider-Man game ever made.

Did you play the PC version of Spider-Man 3, Teancum?  Or one of the console versions?  It got pretty mediocre reviews, but I've never really heard what a big fan of the other Spidey games thought of it.  How does it compare to Spidey 2 and Ultimate Spidey?

I played Spidey 3 on PS2.  I haven't done the next-gen version, which was developed by someone else. 

Personally I loved it.  Very true to Spidey 2 and USM, but with an all new story.

Spidey 2 & 3 FTW.

FoF wasn't too bad either.

JLH sucked. MUA beat it by a landslide in every category excepting GFX.

The FF games are nothing like XML2. I liked the uniqueness of the fusion powers in the second one, though.

USM and Spider-Man 2 would definitely top my list. Close behind would be X-Men:Clone Wars, X-Men: Next Dimension (hey, I love brawl games) and Hulk:Ultimate Destruction.

I agree with Midnight in that JLH sucked, though I seriously prefer MUA's graphics over JLH's.

I wouldn't go so far as to say Justice League Heroes sucked -- I mean MUA was like a 10/10 so it's not fair to compare the two :P

JLH is worth a play-through.  It's fun enough, but it felt rushed.  They should have taken a page from the XML games as far as gameplay, and Robin/Nightwing should have been in the game.

@ shafcrawler -- I loved X-Men Next Dimension too, but it definitely had its drawbacks.  Gameplay was top notch, but the art style of the characters was terrible, combined with camera clipping issues.  Don't get me wrong, we still play it fairly often.

Yeah, Next Dimension certainly had those problems, but it was still fun!

As for JLH, I personally hated it because of the level set characters, pathetic plot, lame powers (except for Zatanna) and a horribly selected cast (both heroes and villains). IMO, they could have made it soooo much better than what it turned out to be. playing the legends games and MUA, I expected a lot more from the game.

Justice League Heroes will get monotonous if you play it one too many times.

Justice League Heroes: Flash is quite good though! I think they incorporated his speed power pretty well for a GBA game

Oh, and speaking of GBA games, the Fantastic Four: Human Torch game is pretty fun, mostly because they shamelessly ripped off the gameplay from the awesome Astro Boy.  (That's the kind of rip-off I love to see - making a quality licensed character game by stealing good ideas from the best games - almost as good as Spider-Man 2 being a GTA rip-off.)

So what do the Fantastic Four games play like, if not MUA?  Are they more of a 3rd-person action game like the Spider-Man games?