X-Men Legends Skin Mega Pack

Started by BliZZ, February 25, 2007, 11:07AM

Previous topic - Next topic
June 03, 2007, 04:53PM #60 Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 04:59PM by Burning Rage
Yes.  I've already converted him to MUA and uploaded him in one of these threads.  Here it is again.

Noel was supposed to rip the PS2 texture from the model so we could slap it on the x-box model, but he never got around to it.  The PC models aren't pixelated because they have mips.  They look like they do because of the DDS compression.  The MUA models look spectacular even though they use mips, part because they have MUCH higher resolution mips, and the compression from the lower resolution mips doesn't affect the model.  The reason PS2 textures look better is because of the weird palette format they are in.  The textures aren't compressed the same way as the x-box and PC models, thus preserving the texture better.  If you slapped a PS2 texture on a PC model, you would never know the difference, regardless of the mips.  I'm pretty sure the black dots from the PC textures are also due to the format they are saved in, i.e. the alpha channels are handled differently with palettes (if palette textures even have an alpha channel) than they are in DXT3.

EDIT:  This is the costume I used the most in MUA, so I can ensure you it does NOT have black dots throughout the texture.  If it does, it's your video card, not the model/texture.  It is, however, pixelated as hell and looks kind of crappy next to the other PC models due to the lower resolution mips.
Some day, someone will best me.  But it won't be today, and it won't be you.

The artist formerly known as Burning Rage.

Actually, mips ARE partially to blame. The Xbox/PC version read certain body parts' textures from the lower quality mips at times, thus the models looking somewhat pixally (in addition to the compression, of course). The PS2 models all reading SOLELY from a 256 texture result in higher quality around the edges, etc. It is both a function of the mips and the compression.

Speaking of Wolvy, teancum asked for a list, so I gave it to him. The ones that we do actually NEED from that list are Gladiator Wolvy (he was an XML1 boss, and his XML1 texture was colored horribly) and Quicksilver. I HATE Modern Quicksilver's black dots.

@ Rage -- Slapping the PS2 texture onto the Xbox model wouldn't work due to the mips. 

@ BliZZ -- I'm starting on your list tonight.  I'll keep you posted.

You wouldn't put the palette texture in, you would save it as a DDS.  The PS2 textures are well preserved, so they would look better than the textures already in the model.
Some day, someone will best me.  But it won't be today, and it won't be you.

The artist formerly known as Burning Rage.

Granted, but the reason the Xbox one looks bad is because the largest mip is 128x.  If it was a 256 model it wouldn't look so rough.  I don't think we can just inject a 256 texture w/hex editing, but color me happy if someone finds out how.

Quick request: Can anyone upload the Professor X skins from the PS2? I'm mega-frustrated with Toad and need to release something to ease my growing anger, so the Prof is going to get done. However, his skins from the mega pack are super black-dotified. Thanks in advance.

I know you guys are really over work with your projects just wondering if any of the bad guys have been converted to the much better ps2 skins?
And their turning us into Monsters its all designed!!

I downloaded this, but I couldn't find Marvel girl. Does anyone have just her I could get? I wanted to put her over one of Miss Marvel's Skins. Thanks.

June 28, 2007, 09:51PM #68 Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 11:29PM by iammingy
This isn't a skin mega-pack for all x-men in comics; it only contains those who actually made appearances in XLM1 and XML2.

However, I have converted the custom skin from Youndblood, which is posted in the first post of my custom skin thread:

http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=435.0

The only reason I asked is because she is one of the previews on the second page. It is her as a skin in MUA, so I know somebody must have it.

Do you know what the file name is in that pack? I must have accidentally deleted it because I couldn't find it when I was going through.

June 29, 2007, 10:03AM #72 Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 10:06AM by iammingy
I will help you find it now! Please wait. :)

EDIT: It's called "phoenixoriginal.IGB"

This is what Texture Finder shows:

Thanks much. I forgot how it is to have nice people on a forum after being away from marvelmods and over on ign for a few months