Our New FX Textures

Started by Lord Frankie, July 05, 2008, 01:22PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Magneto on July 06, 2008, 02:51PM
Well it's how I have called my new texture. could be any other name.
I uploaded it so that if someone wishes to edit/makenew effects, there's a new texture.
Sure, if you want to replace an old texture with this, you should rename it. But replacing isnt always enough, you'll probably need to edit the size and the quantity

Never mind then. You should just release the effects as most of the people here don't mod the game.

and a lot of those that do (such as myself)don't have a graphics program :(

Quote from: Grig 32 on July 06, 2008, 06:48PM
and a lot of those that do (such as myself)don't have a graphics program :(

You don't need graphics programs of any kind to make effects... What I wanted to say was less than 5 percent of the community actually mod the game and release mods, let alone finding people who can (and willing to) make good use of these custom textures. Since Magneto made the effects already, it would be better if he just release the effects and the texture together instead.

ok ok... well i'll release also the textures anyway... someone someday might find them useful....

anyhow here's the NightCrawler new bamf effect http://www.mediafire.com/?r1vmgow1y1v

Don't you need a graphics editor to make a new texture?

me too!(but for my character icons)
Icons made by me(i could only pick the best b/c of ltr limit):

Quote from: Grig 32 on July 07, 2008, 11:20PM
Don't you need a graphics editor to make a new texture?

Yes, you do... I was talking about making the effects using Magneto's texture...

for the cyclops beam thing...all i would have to do is make a red beam right? or would it need  multiple frames?

sorry guys--- have you ever tried editing an effect?

well, just for those who don't know it, this is what an effect entry looks like

ParticleCloud {
   acceleration = 0 0 0 0 0 0 ;
   alpha = -6 6 0 -6 6 0 1 -10000 ;
   blend = alpha ;
   count = 0.5 0.5 ;
   delay = 0 0 ;
   drag = 6 6 ;
   endcolor1 = 16777215 ;
   endcolor2 = 16777215 ;
   gravity = 0 0 ;
   height = 0 0 ;
   interval = 0
   life = 4 4 ;
   midcolor1 = 16777215 ;
   midcolor2 = 16777215 ;
   name = smokecdolorMAIN ;
   numsegments = 1 ;
   orient = forward ;
   origin = 0 0 30 0 0 30 ;
   plifescale = 2 ;
   primitiveflags = 0 ;
   radius = 5 5 ;
   radius2 = 5 5 ;
   rotation = 0 1 10 0 0 6.283 ;
   size = -30 30 50 -30 30 50 ;
   spawnflags = 104 ;   
   startcolor1 = 16777215 ;
   startcolor2 = 16777215 ;
   texture = textures/nextgen/BAMF3.png ;
   transformrotation = 0 0 0 0 0 0 ;
   velocity = 5 0 0 25 0 0 ;
   viewoffset = 0 ;
   }

this creates a puff of smoke, a "particle cloud", using
Quotetexture = textures/nextgen/BAMF3.png ;
, which means that texture that i posted above.
Quoteendcolor
midcolor
startcolor
determine the effects' color.

then there's size, velocity, life etc... you just need to edit this stuff, nothing more.

there are no animated textures in the game. so, no multiple frames (if that's what u intended)

for Cyclops' beam, exactly what do you want to change in it?

I don't know... it just looks stupid *shrug* its like the beam itself has no depth or something - like there's a cloud coming out of his head rather than a beam of solid energy

oh, ok thx magnteo...i dont actualy have any of the game's files onthis computer so i guess i cant do it untill the end of summer...unless ,grig, u could go throught the files and find and find the ones that make it "cloudish", send them to me, then i could edit, see what u thought,change/make better, and then post here:)

I've been reading through the thread and I'm interested in attempting to create new power effects for The Dazzler Mod 3.0 (I've finally started working on it again ;-) ).  Pardon my ignorance, but if I wanted to say--make a "spark" power effect then I could just take one of the existing "sparks" (like say the "glitter" looking things on one of the Jubilee powers), copy it, rename it, create a .png effect with an alpha channel for transparencies, then place it in the correct directory and change the name of the effect in the newly named file with a hex editor and that's it?  I hope someone was able to follow that.  But basically it'd just involve creating .pngs with an alpha channel and then hex-editing an existing .igb power that leads to the texture you created as opposed to one included with the game?  I used to mod for Freedom Force as well so I get a little bit of the gist of the power/fx editing even though it's pretty different between the games.  So am I in the right ballpark with this? lol

August 05, 2008, 03:01PM #28 Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 03:15PM by Lord Magneto
it's all right, except, the effect textures come in .igb files, like the regular skins.

so you have to use texturefinder and muaskinner to find the offsets and all.
then, decompile the source file, edit it, recompile it with a new name, and voilĂ , you have a new texture

then, to use that texture, decompile the .xmlb effect file that you need to change in effects/chars/dazzler, and open it with notepad.
you will find, for example, this

texture = textures/nextgen/TEXTURENAME.png ;

(as i posted before); so change TEXTURENAME to the name of your new texture, recompile as .xmlb and it's done.

remember:
if you save your new effects in "textures", you'll have to write:
texture = textures/TEXTURENAME.png ;

if you save it in "textures/nextgen", you'll have to write
texture = textures/nextgen/TEXTURENAME.png ;