PSP characters discussion

Started by kfcrispy, February 26, 2007, 07:47AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I started a Normal game with the 4 psp characters because I figured it's the best way to compare them to the other characters and also gives me a chance to try out each skill from low levels (as opposed to being level 30 and quickly ignoring other moves when i find obvious good ones).. here are my thoughts so far.

Black Widow - great initial moves.
Controlled Burst = very fun + very damaging. As long as you're actually hitting the enemies, this move rocks and takes off a ton of HP off a boss in a flash, which causes the boss to drop orbs for a quick refill. Guess what's next..   I wonder if this is as good in Hard Mode--she might need Iron Man's Reroute as you pump up the power.
Her radials are also good, particularly Flash Bang. There's a delay in when the bombs actually explode but it's nasty. Too bad the description doesn't say how much damage it does. I hope someone can fix up descriptions for the PSP characters... if I have time I'll get a hex editor and try to study the powers.

Captain Marvel - Iron Man ish. I'm not sure if his attacks count as Energy damage, it seems to hurt Ultron bots just fine. I haven't unlocked his tap radial but I tried out moves a little in Hard Mode and know it's just like Iron Man's with good quick damage hitting a large area. His first power seems to require a really long time in order to get the charged version to come out but has a nicer bigger explosion I think.

Hawkeye - so far Hawkeye is the least useable character. He's a good CPU support but his attacks come out extremely slow. By the time he shoots his arrow, the enemies are already pounding him. I know his Ice radial is going to be nice but I wonder if his buffs, particularly the Attack Speed one, will make him more useable. His buffs don't offer much choice, either. One is attack speed increase, the other is damage increase.. why not together like a bunch of other characters.. Multi-shot when powered up and charged on a close enemy will definitely do tons of damage but it's going to be ages before I get there. Also, the arrows seem to have problems hitting nearby opponets. Hawkeye = Sittingduck?

Ronin - her first power is pretty useless; not sure if it actually causes knockback claimed by the description. Next up is her Knife throw.. chargeable to throw more--this reminds me of Elektra; the charged version should do a lot of damage on close opponents. Spine Teaser (description: high critical chance.... what's the actual % chance??) is kinda like Wolverine's Lunge, and on bosses the last number I saw was 398 or 498! The most I can do in one shot with all other moves on this PSP-team right now is probably in the 80's.

My notes:

Black Widow, on higher levels, is a blast. The Knife Bomb when fully charged is a super-power to rival the Rider's Hellfire attacks, quite handy, IMO.

Marvel IS Iron Man-ish, I agree on that fully.

Hawkeye... He's actually v.good for soloing. Ice Arrows, plus Hellfire Arrows, plus the Piercing Arrows = unstoppable. Ice is a radial attack despite whatever it might call itself, which immediately immobilizes everyone in range. Set them on fire with the HF arrow, then knock a few out with the Piercing arrow. He's actually FUN to play with solo on Hard and Very Hard. And yes, when the going gets rough, the buffs do help muchly. He's one of the THREE characters as which I actually DO use buffs, because, most of the time, I don't.

Ronin... Yeah, I've found that in the ultimate end, Spine Teaser is the boss-whopper if you get bored easily, because at higher levels it does upside of 1000 DMG in one go per boss. The knife-and-sword swing is nearly identical to Deadpool's; and one of her Echo attacks copies Deadpool's also. The Echo Effect is actually the most comfy power in the whole set -- as the scripts reveal, and experimentation proves, you CAN control which effect you get if you hold a particular direction, hold the button longer or have/not have a target locked when you call the power. The most useful, so far, are Daredevil's Xtreme (though it eats energy like butter, it also cleans the whole screen out quite fast) and Deadpool's Blade Hurricane. Yesss. Mixed bag, sure, but I haven't tested her solo survivability on Very Hard yet. This would've made a fine research article, the Very Hard (accessible via the Hardcore menu option if you use the PSP menufiles with the PC version; or if you load an Easy save @ the Helicarrier in Hard as a starting stat import), but I really don't have the time to test each and every char in there.

Crimson Dynamo says:
In Soviet Russia, the games mod YOU!

If anyone needs any art for icons or portraits, feel  free to ask, I'll see what I can do.

huh you made the PSP modes available on the PC? i didn't see this....?

I didn't release it yet. I'm still trying to get the thing working without having to lose the existance of the "QUIT GAME" option in the main menu; or having to live with three empty extra lines in the difficulty selection menu (which should've housed the PSP's extra game modes which the PC's executable obviously doesn't want to support).

Crimson Dynamo says:
In Soviet Russia, the games mod YOU!

If anyone needs any art for icons or portraits, feel  free to ask, I'll see what I can do.

cool beans!
well if it helps, QUIT GAME isn't necessary. ALT+F4 works and i haven't seen any problems closing out that way, and you can still Load Save, right?

Overall, I'd say the PSP characters except for Hawkeye (who CAN put out high damage with his first power but all of his powers take ages to get out, making him not-so-hot) are very broken compared to the other characters.

-Black Widow gets a power that does as much damage as those single power-punches and can charge for the same damage as them and unleash like 10 of them before she runs out of energy in like 1.5 seconds. That means bosses don't live long vs the Black Widow. The Knife Bomb attack is okay vs normal enemies but it's rather slow.

-Ronin has 2 completely broken moves, Spine Teaser and Echo, which can both take out a bosses and normal enemies in a snap. Spine Teaser maxed in Normal can critical a boss for 3600 already, no Items and no Costume Boosts that increase damage. Ronin's blade spin from Echo is free and there seem to be 2 versions. The common one does over 100 dmg per hit (when just 1 point is in Echo) and can't be interrupted even when she takes damage, and costs no energy! She has another version that is also free and does half the damage.. this happens far less often.

-Captain Marvel will take more time than the other two for bosses but he won't run out of energy when he's on the ground and owns normal enemies. His first power is not considered Energy damage so he has no problems vs anyone with just the 2 "Iron Man" powers. Captain Marvel's radial tap is probably the same initial damage/energy cost as Iron Man's, but it starts out FAR more powerful than the Tin Man's. The initial point in it costs like ~22 energy while Iron Man's is around 17, which makes a tremendous difference. I nearly maxed out Iron Man's (on normal not Hard) and I don't think it even gets as strong/expensive as Captain Marvel's with just 1 point in his version. Iron Man is also pretty slow in melee while Marvel melees like a normal person.

Hawkeye's Attack Speed buff seems to be a team boost, even though they don't specifically say (while others have Buffs that seem to only self-buff but only Black Widow's buffs are actually labeled as "Self-Buff"). Horrible descriptions... just horrible.

A little bit of a bump, but I'd say Marvel is the most complete of them all.  Hawkeye is fleshed out really well, but his extreme is absolutely worthless.  It's one arrow that bounces around and not very much at that.

The other two I haven't delved into very deep, but Ronin seems like a lot of fun from descriptions.

from what i've read, the 360-tified Hawkeye's Xtreme now shoots MULTIPLE arrows, and you can point blank a boss to death like Moon Knight.

May 15, 2007, 11:23PM #8 Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 10:31PM by Midnight Curse
What is the name of Ronin's XTreme? No I am not going to download the mod and find out. I wish to add it to my poll list of Favorite XTremes.

EDIT: Nvrmnd, it's Power Strike. Thx to welick.

how about adding pc character mods for psp and a magneto

Only one guy has ever done a mod for the PSP.  These are all from the PSP.  To do a PSP mod you'll have to figure it out yourself unfortunately.

Teancum, can you get me the link to the GameFAQ's site where you get the moves
for every character on the PSP? I'm gonna use the power profile info on my site.

I tried going on GameFAQ's to find it, but I never found it. :mad:

I've never found one.  I just played them on the PC.  As far as I know no PSP-specific FAQs have been made.

Quote from: Teancum on May 16, 2007, 04:07AM
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox360/file/932586/45567

But you got me the moves of the DLC with this link. Can you find me the PSP ones? I only want the exclusives: Capt. Marvel, Ronin, and Black Widow. I already have Hawkeye via the DLC.

I tried searching on GameFAQ's, but I just can't seem to find the strategy guide.

Quote from: Teancum on June 12, 2007, 08:12PM
I've never found one.  I just played them on the PC.  As far as I know no PSP-specific FAQs have been made.