MUA-to-XML2 Projekt -- MODELPACK v1 RELEASED!

Started by Noelemahc, February 27, 2007, 07:59AM

Previous topic - Next topic
March 23, 2007, 11:36AM #15 Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 11:46AM by Burning Rage
I tried reskinning one of the x-box models, and when I loaded the model in game (XML2), there were vertical black lines in the skin (problem with the alpha channel?).  Does MUA use a different format DDS than XML2 or something?  I know XML2 used DXT3, which is what I saved my .dds as, but I'm assuming with MUA it's different because I've never had this problem when reskinning XML2 skins.  If not, what's the issue?  (screencapping it in a few)

EDIT: 
Some day, someone will best me.  But it won't be today, and it won't be you.

The artist formerly known as Burning Rage.

Actually, MUAXBOX uses a crazy mixture of DXT2 (leastways it LOOKS like DXT2) and DXT3, which is exactly why you got the crazee lines. Try saving the output file as DXT1 OR, better yet, use Texture Finder to ease up the burden of experimenting.

Crimson Dynamo says:
In Soviet Russia, the games mod YOU!

If anyone needs any art for icons or portraits, feel  free to ask, I'll see what I can do.

March 23, 2007, 12:51PM #17 Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 01:35PM by Burning Rage
I did use texture finder, and the images only show up clear when I use the DXT3, which is why I tried that first.  I did save the files as DXT1, but it cuts the file size almost in half (I'm using Nvidia's .dds plug in for Adobe Photoshop).  Just about not caring, I tried to insert them anyway, and poof, ctd.  *shrugs*  Is there something in the file that defines how big (byte size) the image should be?

EDIT:  Meh... tried DXT5 just for shits and giggles, and obviously no dice.  Phukit.  :runaway:

Nope, just the actual pixel size data in the header - and that the IGBs replace with their own header data.
The best I can offer you is to wait till I'm done with the PS2 rips, these are heckuvalot easier to reskin.
(Am almost done - only have a couple models to cover; then I will upload them and only THEN will I start adapting the present-in-PC-version-but-not-used-in-game-and-therefore-not-appearing-in-console-versions subskins)

Crimson Dynamo says:

If anyone needs any art for icons or portraits, feel  free to ask, I'll see what I can do.

Here's the first release:
http://www.marvelmods.com/noelemahc/PS2MUAstuff.rar

This includes EVERY model of the ACTORS directory present in MUAPS2. And a bonus (in the form of PSP's Code 219 (Super-Skrull Comic) - filtered and upsampled and stretched onto the Code 33 model which they share).
What this doesn't have:
- Code 70 (Sentinels)
- Code 102 (Arcade)
- at least one of the subskins for EACH monster model

The first two aren't salvageable; the third point is. I will make those (eventually) and upload them as well, as a separate pack.

These models are all useable both in MUAPC and XML2PC (and MUAXBOX and XML1/2XBOX while we're at it, as well as XML1/2PS2 - theoretically - if you can get it to launch using custom files, which I couldn't).

Why would you want to use them in MUAPC? First, these only have the ONE texture, no mips = easy reskins. Second, they don't have detailed geometry, which is good for reskins - easier to pass 0101 (Blade's Movie skin) as the Punisher, for example, if the need arises. Third, they have proper rigging all around (which means Sharon Ventura (1403) and Classic Elektra (1201) are glitchless). Fourth, if a MUAPC skin has a 256x or less as the top resolution for the mips, the PS2 model will most probably look better in Advanced Lighting because of the lossless texture compression.

Crimson Dynamo says:

You are my hero.  I'll get all those skeletons done for you after I get a few winks of sleep.  What format are the PS2 skins in?  Same as the XML2 ones?

The IGBs themselves are in a format of their own, in every respect (though the geometry and rigging formats are close to what the PC version uses).
The textures are 8-bit indexed DDSes, with the palette and texture itself (256x usually) stored separately in the file. See my breakdown of their skinning in the Knowledge Base :D

Crimson Dynamo says:

Yay! Finally a Classic Storm skin for XML2!

thanks for this
Please search the forum before asking a question. I dont answer
PMs about modding, those questions should be posted in a public thread.
What im currently working on: http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=2275.0
My mods are mine to booster/update, I will not give anybody permission to do it

Some questions

1. When I reskin someone in XML2 as Sif the Game crashes, what's up with this ?

2. Can we get rid of the things some of the skins are holding ?

3. Can I use the MUA skeletons in XML2 without Conversion ? ( 1 out of the 2 )

Thank You

1. Weird. Gonna go check for possible reasons.
2. Not directly. Gonna have to add the corresponding skin_multipart commands to your Herostat. Look at how Deadpool works for an example.
3. Not from the PC version, sadly. You can still use the PS2 or X-Box skeletons though - Burning Rage promised to deal with those.

Crimson Dynamo says:

Last time I checked, they were a part of her model. Aren't they?
I will be ripping and upping the boltons later this week anyway, so... Y'know. Wait a tad. I just started a new day job, so expect me to be a tad faulty >.<

Crimson Dynamo says:

no they are not part of it
Please search the forum before asking a question. I dont answer
PMs about modding, those questions should be posted in a public thread.
What im currently working on: http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=2275.0
My mods are mine to booster/update, I will not give anybody permission to do it

Hmm. That's funny, since they ARE a part of her PC model, I automatically assumed that would work the same way cross-platform...

Crimson Dynamo says: