Doing comic missions late in the game

Started by brohara, March 04, 2007, 09:10AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Ok, so I've played through the game once and have a new game on the go
with the same characters, around level 40. And I decide to to get to
the comic missions for the other characters... wow, maybe that was a
mistake. (my first time through was pretty much 'Iron Man' focused)

Captain America's mission; even though I'm playing the game on normal
mode with my ramped up characters, it's tougher to get through the to
Winter Soldier than I thought it would be, but man... 60 seconds to
defeat him? Doing this little damage? Sheesh. I'm thinking, 'not gonna
happen'. Maybe I'm missing something here. Does this sound right?

My thoughts are to run through the missions to unlock Silver Surfer,
but I'm now thinking I should have done these missions much earlier.
So my question is, in Cap's comic mission, is the Winter Soldier boss
just a slugfest to beat him in 60, or is there something different I'm
supposed to do to bring him down? (I'm trying to guage whether I should
start fresh, if they're all going to be this extreme at this level)
Check out issue #74 of Advanced Iron.
Iron Man In Action columnist, Advanced Iron Magazine.
http://www.advancediron.org/

You have to listen carefully to Cap's comments before the fight :D You can re-set the timer by activating the blinking consoles around the missiles, this will give you all the time you need.

Crimson Dynamo says:
In Soviet Russia, the games mod YOU!

If anyone needs any art for icons or portraits, feel  free to ask, I'll see what I can do.

Good luck with that sim mission.  That was the only one I never accomplished and ended up using the cheat codes.  Even using Cap's buff for speed, etc, I always ended up running to the wrong console or got blocked out by the camera angle.  I'm not quick enough to change the angle and finally just gave in to the cheat out of frustration.  Of course, that was way back when Cap was not leveled up nearly enough to do much damage to Winter Soldier so maybe it would have been different.

I did this (on the Normal playthrough, which, believe it or not, is my ONLY completed playthrough to date) mission @ about LV20-something; from the fifth attempt (because of the bomb minigames, not WS). Shield Bash works perfectly, you  don't even need any buffs at all. Takes a while, of course, but halfway through Bucky's lifebar you start to notice that the timer re-sets to different settings when you activate it at specific moments (the optimum jump - back to 60 seconds, or 60+ seconds even - is when you hit the third console in the sequence while the timer is below 25 seconds but above 17).

Crimson Dynamo says:
In Soviet Russia, the games mod YOU!

If anyone needs any art for icons or portraits, feel  free to ask, I'll see what I can do.

I really don't get how people fail at this.. I get silver every time (I got gold once). Simply SPAM his speed boost and Shield Throw, and you should do fine. I usually only get the first bomb, I just jump away quickly.

I think you have no problem with the bomb mini-games, so I won't talk about them here.

In this boss-fight, your main goal is to prevent the timer from reaching zero and to defeat Winter Soldier at the same time.

There are 4 controls in the room to reset timer. I think you need to turn off 2 controls to reset the timer each time. The arrow above the control will tell you which one to turn off specifically. Just keep turning your camera and run to find the arrow. If the timer doesn't reset, keep running to the next control!!! I reset the timer to ~1 minute and I only reset the timer again when it drops to 25~30 seconds remaining.

To deal with Winter Soldier (when the timer has more than 25~30 seconds left), invest your all your skill points in Shield Bash and Reserve Strength.  Use Reserved Strength to increase your attack speed first and then use fully charged Shield Bash as often as possible. When Shield Bash drains all your energy, use your light attack, which is boosted by Reserved Strength earlier.

If you find yourself low on health very often, equip Cap A. with Deathbird's feather (+5 regeneration).
If you find the missle/rocket in the middle of the room blocking your view, zooming in may resolve the problem in most cases.

Winter Soldier would drop a gold/yellow card key when he leaves after you beat him.  Pick it up and run to the control!!!

Hey guys, thanks for taking the time to comment on this.
You've restored my faith! Of course this only makes sense,
but any time I had inspected the consoles I never found any
that appeared to be 'activate'-able, which threw me off...

This is great, now I know it's not a 'Level-40-toughness-
challenge' thing and that I can get through them all at
this level. I'm kind of a completist, so I feel the need
unlock the 4th skins and silver surfer 'officially' before
I can indulge in any of the serious mods, Like Tommyboy's
Avengers mod, which I can't wait to get into. But this means,
all comic missions first!! ...which was looking a little bleak
for a moment there, ;-) so thanks for the tip. Much 'preciated.

Check out issue #74 of Advanced Iron.
Iron Man In Action columnist, Advanced Iron Magazine.
http://www.advancediron.org/

you need to hit 3 consoles to reset the timer. once the third is hit, it will reset based on when you hit it.
Above 20 seconds left will reset to 60. This is optimal.
Above 10 seconds will reset to 40 or something. This is ok but you're better off getting to 60 to get a whole 20 seconds extra.
Lower than 10 seconds will be like 30 or maybe even 20 seconds.

I found "spiders bite" very useful on this mission

I ran into similar probs when i did mine at around lvl 50.  All i can say is i hope you dont need storms :)