Emma Frost Release (Updates in XML1 release thread)

Started by DJay Saint, March 06, 2007, 07:06PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Oh my, a girl has never been more excited <3
I cannot wait to try her out.

March 07, 2007, 05:40PM #16 Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 08:17PM by Burning Rage
Quote from: BliZZ on March 07, 2007, 01:10PM
After moving her to slot 90 and adding _hero to her skelie/talent/pkgs (ala pyro/toothy), I can tell you that that works perfectly. You don't even need to rename her ps (unless you really want to)

PS: If you want help with Betsy, I'd be willing to convert her effects; which would leave you with just talent/ps/ent files to do :P

Converting the effects for Betsy would be hawt, that way I can get to work on her soon.  Thanks for converting the effects for Emma (I used quite a bit of Jean's too).  :D

I put Emma in slot 90, and I still have problems with the disappearing powers whenever I advance to a new level in the story.

Here is the updated version:
Beta v1.2 (updated)

I fixed bugs with effects, completed her power list, and have finished the icons.  Oh, and now the menu portrait doesn't show up.  *shrugs*  I'm sure it's an oversight, but after hours of working on talents and powerstyles today, I think it's good enough for now.

EDIT:  Forgot about the phuking characters_heads.pkgb...  Poof, I got a portrait again.  ::)
Some day, someone will best me.  But it won't be today, and it won't be you.

The artist formerly known as Burning Rage.

Nice, she plays good and everything (based on my 10 minutes or so of playing ;)). Good job.

BTW, it may be a few days before I get to Betsy's effects, as I have some upcoming IRL as well as Cannonball on my plate currently. You could, in the meantime, deal with Jubilee and/or Beast, as I believe all of Beast's effects are already present in XML2 and I already converted all of Jubi's effects :P Just sayin.

March 07, 2007, 08:03PM #18 Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 08:09PM by Burning Rage
Emma is 100% playable now!  I fixed the disappearing powers ordeal (I forgot something really simple... man I feel like a retard right about now.)  I fixed every bug that I have found, and all the ones everyone else has pointed out too.

I am including an extra pkgb file so you can indeed see Emma's character portrait in the character select menu.  I am also including an updated team bonus file, so Pyro and Sabretooth are part of the Brotherhood, and Emma has a few also.  This mod is just about 100% done.  I can't think of anything else it needs right now, but then again, that's what testing is for.  Enjoy!

Download here.

EDIT:

Quote from: BliZZBTW, it may be a few days before I get to Betsy's effects, as I have some upcoming IRL as well as Cannonball on my plate currently. You could, in the meantime, deal with Jubilee and/or Beast, as I believe all of Beast's effects are already present in XML2 and I already converted all of Jubi's effects :P Just sayin.

No rush.  I'm not a big fan of Jubilee or Beast, so I keep putting them off.  :P  I'll probably move onto Beast next, but for now I can get Betsy's powerstyle and talent files defined.  I can add her effects to the powerstyle when they are done.  Oh, and what do you think of the icons?  Good enough, or should I redo some?

Yeah, they are definitely good enough.

Blech, I don't think any of you understand how tedious it was converting them :P I may, when I get to Psylocke's, just go ahead and do her's and Magma's at the same time, so that all of the playables' effects are done. There will still be some boss ones (Avalanche is of interest to me), but the playables have WAY more effect files.

Absolutely no bugs encountered so far (or at least none that I've noticed).  Anyone else encounter any while playing (I'm assuming only like two or three people have actually put Emma in their game)?  Does everything work as it should?

OK i'm asking b/c I have no idea what I am doing, and b/c I love Emma and want to use her. I've actually reinstalled XML2 just to do this. When it says copy the effects files into xxxxxx what the hell does that mean? Do i just make a folder and call it emma? I might as well say that right now this whole section:

Icons:  XML2\Textures\ui\xxxxxxxx_icons1.IGB
Conversation Portrait: XML2\HUD\hud_head_xxxx.IGB
3D HUD Model: XML2\UI\hud\characters\xxxx.IGB
Character Select Portrait: XML2\UI\models\characters\xxxx.IGB
Skins: XML2\Actors\xxxx.IGB
Skeleton:  XML2\Actors\xxxx_xxxxxxxx.IGB

has me beyond confused. If there is a tutorial that I didnt see I'm sure someone will let me know in a rather sarcastic way, that seems to be the status quo on here ;-) Thanks for the help ahead of time.

March 08, 2007, 04:26PM #22 Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 04:34PM by Burning Rage
Those are the directories where you put the files that are in the Emma folder (XML2 being the main X-Men Legends 2 folder)...  the xxxxx is just a placeholder for the actual file name you are using for that folder, because file names change, and so this text could be used as a standard "how to add a character", in case for some reason, you want to rename Emma's files, or put her in a new slot other than slot 90 I have put her in.  The folders you copy those files to will ALWAYS be the same though, which is why I typed out the file path.  For example, in Emma's case, xxxxxxxx_icons1.IGB is just emmafrost_icons1.IGB, which is her icon file.  You place that file in the XML2\Textures\ui folder.  The same goes with the rest of the files in that list.  The Emma folder and subfolders I have in the .zip file mean nothing.  They are only there to organize the files, and serve no other purpose than for easy finding.  You have to put those files where they need to be in the X-Men Legends main folder (I have told you where each file goes) for the mod to actually work.

ok assuming i understood correctly. When I made the folder for the effects/char folder I just named it "emma" I'm hoping that is correct. Also is there a particular program I should be using to edit herostat.engb and herostat.xmlb? O opened them in notepad, and I wasnt sure where I should add emma, or exactly what I should be adding. Again am I just putting in "emma" or "emmafrost" ?

March 08, 2007, 04:53PM #24 Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 05:00PM by Burning Rage
The only new folder you will have to make is the effects folder for Emma, which should be named "Frost", since her powerstyles point to her effects in "Frost".  I forgot to mention that in the readme, thanks for pointing it out.

You need nba2kstuff's decompiler program (links on main page) to edit the two herostat files.  The only thing you have to do for that is copy Emma's herostat definition I included in the text files (copy them exactly, you do not have to modify it in any way unless you want to) into both herostat.xmlb and herostat.engb.  Pay attention to the two different text files I included for her herostat, as there is a difference between the .xmlb and the .engb files.

ok i downloaded the tool. I selected the herostat.xmlb, and it decompiles to herostat.xml. I right click and select edit on the file. And I'm thinking, holy Chocolate egg, now what?

Hmmm maybe this is just too complicated for me.

1.  Open the program, and select File, DeCompile.  Find herostat.engb.
2.  Select File, Edit.  You should see herostat.xml.
3.  Open the Emma Herostat ENGB.txt, and copy all information in it.
4.  Paste all information from Emma's text file into herostat.xml at the very bottom.  Save herostat.xml.
5.  Select File, Compile.  IMPORTANT!  Make sure you compile it back as herostat.ENGB, NOT XMLB.  Close herostat.xml and Emma Herostat ENGB.txt.
6.  Select File, DeCompile.  Find herostat.xmlb.
7.  Select File, Edit.  You should see herostat.xml.
8.  Open the Emma Herostat XMLB.txt, and copy all information in it.
9.  Paste all information from Emma's text file into herostat.xml at the very bottom.  Save herostat.xml.
10.  Select File, Compile.  IMPORTANT!  Once again, make sure you compile it back as herostat.XMLB, NOT ENGB.  Close herostat.xml and Emma Herostat XMLB.txt.

You have new herostats.

Dude, editing herostat.xmlb is COMPLETELY unnecessary. It is only used if the game can't find the engb (or whatever language your game is :P)

But it doesn't hurt to have it done in case that should ever happen.  ;)

ok i think i get it now. Gonna give it a whirl now.