Nintendo Wii -- PSP mod (in progress)

Started by Teancum, August 10, 2008, 07:18PM

Previous topic - Next topic
August 10, 2008, 07:18PM Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 06:57AM by Teancum
Great news!  We CAN use extra slots on the Wii!  Here's the scoop for those who didn't know, in list format (because I love lists)

• :blackwidow: Black Widow,  :genis: Captain Marvel,  :hawkeye: Hawkeye, and  :ronin: Ronin were found on the Wii disc (because Vicarious Visions did both the Wii and PSP ports of the game)
  • Though they seem to be complete, there are no sounds for them, and the ZSM/ZSS format for Wii seems to be extremely different than PC, Xbox, or even PS2.  This means that using their original soundsets isn't possible.  My thought is that I will use similar soundsets from XML1/XML2 characters.  (for instance, Captain Marvel might sound like Bishop from XML2)
  • Since we know that Link (from Zelda) and Samus (from Metroid) were in-game at one time, it's very likely that their extra slots still remain in the executable, meaning that I might be able to fit two more X-Men/Brotherhood members in there.  (and no, they're not still hidden on the disc unfortunately).  I'm thinking  :magneto: Magneto for one, but I don't know who else would fit the best.  Probably  :gambit: Gambit, just for the sheer amount of awesomeness he brings to anything.
  • MUA for Wii works just fine with Wii Backup Launcher 0.3 (gamma).  That means no actual modchip is required.  If you want to learn how, check youtube.com -- surely there's a tutorial in there somewhere if you look long enough.  Just please be responsible, don't steal the game (We love Marvel, Raven Software & Vicarious Visions!)
  • Preliminary tests showed that I could do a Xbox-ish hack and have secret character slots for the new characters.  I only added one, but all worked well.  Once all 4 PSPers are working on the Wii I will report back.
  • If you know ANYTHING about the Gamecube/Wii's sound or texture formats, PLEASE post - particularly if you know something about the sound format, GC_ADPCM.

August 10, 2008, 11:34PM #1 Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 11:39PM by Venom
Do they have motion sensing moves like other wii characters ?
I have a wii but Ive been deciding on if I should get a modchip so I can backup my discs incase of anything happening to them but having extra characters on Mua for wii would be a good reason to buy it and get a modchip.
So you dont know how to go about modchipping a wii ? I could help you if thats what your asking help about.
Thank-you for this great discovery :D

I'm sure they do, but like I said I don't have a Wii so I couldn't tell ya. 

As for finding a modchip, I'd rather you use google.  This isn't really the place to talk about modding a system, as it's to easy for someone to start pirating games, instead of making modded copies of the original, which they own.

If you get around to it- sure. Mod the assets.wad-  I'll give it a whirl and report back.

By the way... trying to rip from the Wii ISO can take an excrutiatingly long time (around 5 hours) so I'd backburner this at least until the Xbox mods are released, personally.

When I was at activision I remember watching the MUA team test Hawkeye-Wii, so yes- at one point he did/does have motion sensory moves... but- early on he was supposed to be included on Wii build (not as a PSP exclusive) so who knows. Hopefully they just left everything in tact on the disc!  :hulk_icon:
"I'd give my Ex-Gene for my Ex, Jean... but I'll date Emma- since it's the next best thing."

All of the PSP character FBs, the simulators, even the survival sims are on the disc.  I'm just not sure what all Vicarious Visions did on the Wii as far as limitations.  The PSP seems to be able to handle 29, with the standard PSPers and then Colossus and Moon Knight, I'd assume since VV did the Wii port it's likely the same.  The downfall is not having a version of ZSM Editor that can do GCADPCM files, which means hex-replacing sounds.

I really wish we knew where the character limit variable was set in the executables.  Then at least we could compare the Wii main.dol to the PC game.exe and try to find the hex bytes to change.

September 02, 2008, 06:47AM #5 Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 06:50AM by Teancum
I'm tired of spam in these topics:

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A NINTENDO WII OR ARE NOT INVOLVED IN MODDING THIS VERSION OF THE GAME DO NOT POST IN THIS TOPIC

From now on I will remove any irrelevant posts in any of my topics involving modding research.  If it becomes a problem you'll receive a very short ban.

Using the .exe,.xbe, etcetera from the different builds (PC/Xbox/Wii/PS2/PSP...) could we via comparason use a process of elimination method to isolate the variable needed to change the character cap?

I know that sounds like a lot of effort but- bear with me for a second;

Say we 'select all' the entire pc .exe and paste it to a text file.
If we then do the same with a different build (say XBox which by default has less than the 27 PC cap) then somewhere between the two would be the variant number(s).

By selecting a chunk of text from one textfile (xbox) and searching for that verbatum string of text in the other (pc) using the 'search' function- we will have one of two results;

1) the text is found exact- meaning both builds share this string and it is insignificant to our search. So, we delete the block eliminating it, and further closing in on what we are searching for.
2) the text is not found- meaning something in it differs between builds. Now, while this may not be the variable we are searching for- soon we would just be left with a list of differences between the two builds.

This may not seem quick... :quicks: I understand. But, it is a strategy at least.
"I'd give my Ex-Gene for my Ex, Jean... but I'll date Emma- since it's the next best thing."

September 06, 2008, 02:46PM #7 Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 02:57PM by iammingy
There is no variable setting the max number of playable characters, as confirmed by one of the programers.
FYI: http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=2236.0

Besides, adding more bytes (or simply deleting them) can easily screw up most of the addresses in the executable. I don't see much NOPs in the PC's executable for us to play with either... I bet this is the same on other versions of MUA. This is no easy job; it's only for people who can program in assembly.

November 20, 2008, 07:31AM #8 Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 08:19AM by Teancum
Some updates:

*Wii backups can now be played through the Homebrew Channel + Wii Backup Launcher v.3 Gamma(Google it)  That being said, my best friend has a Wii, so we can start doing mods.  MUA runs on this just fine.

*Wii sounds use the GC_ADPCM codec to play the sounds, and that's the only one referenced in the executable, so that may be all that will work.  The ZSS files that store the GC_ADPCM file seem to be big endian (I think - they don't look like little endian).  I'm not sure where to start with adding the sounds we need for the PSP exclusives (which are on the disc, but have no sounds).  I can hex-replace raw files, I did that for the original Xbox mod before the tools were out. 

*It's more than likely that the Wii version can handle a total of 31 characters -- the 25 original, the 4 PSP exclusives, plus the two slots that were for Samus Aran and Link (who got cut from the game).  So it's possible that we can add the PSPers and two other characters.

More to report as I get info.

Nice shot lol. I hope the team.fb & team_back.fb works on PSP too

Hurray.  I'm so happy, I was just about to sell my copy of MUA for the wii to exchange it for the PC version.  Now I don't have to.  More importantly, I have one character suggestion.

:hulk_icon: The incredible Hulk :hulk_icon:

As a marvel fan, the hulk's exclusion from the game was by far the biggest let down.  He is an official character and a founding member of the marvel universe.  I beseech you to consider my request.  Also, are Link and Samus' files still on the disc?  It would be pretty flippin' cool to play as those two characters.

I'm not adding anyone that's not already on the disc.  I don't even own a Wii, I'm just doing this for a friend. 

And check the first post for info on Link/Samus.

Quote from: Teancum on December 01, 2008, 06:09PM
I'm not adding anyone that's not already on the disc.  I don't even own a Wii, I'm just doing this for a friend. 

Sure about that?

Here is what your first post says.

Quote from: Teancum on August 10, 2008, 07:18PM

• Since we know that Link (from Zelda) and Samus (from Metroid) were in-game at one time, it's very likely that their extra slots still remain in the executable, meaning that I might be able to fit two more X-Men/Brotherhood members in there.  (and no, they're not still hidden on the disc unfortunately).  I'm thinking  :magneto: Magneto for one, but I don't know who else would fit the best.  Probably  :gambit: Gambit, just for the sheer amount of awesomeness he brings to anything.
I'm sorry for the confusion.

Teancum, I appreciate your speedy response.  I apologize for overlooking the bit about link and samus in your first post.  Wouldn't want to look like a jerk