Blade doesn't suck ass...

Started by DJay Saint, March 19, 2007, 05:31PM

Previous topic - Next topic
March 19, 2007, 05:31PM Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 08:43PM by Burning Rage
I think Blade is great.  However, he got severely nurfed somehow because he sucks an ass and a half in MUA.  While playing through it the first time (Yeah...  I've been modding it, and haven't even played the game yet...   :laugh:), I decided it would be a good idea for Blade to be on my super team.  Well, little did I know his moves are slowly developed, his focus licks nuts, and he dies way too damn easy.  The good news is, he has high strike.  I guess that doesn't matter if he doesn't last very long.  I threw Elektra in my party, and she deals more melee damage than Blade (actually, for some reason, she deals the most melee damage out of all my characters...  *shrugs*).  I got so annoyed, I said the hell with the comic mission (it's next to impossible to do, because those phucking little imps who keep jumping on your back while you get pop shot with fire for days, and fighting Spider Man is retarded, since there is next to no health, and all of Blade's moves deal crap for damage...) and spent the 50 rep points to get rid of him.  I remember seeing somewhere that Blade was terrible, but I didn't think it was anywhere near this bad.  I used to think he was cool as hell.  As far as the game goes, he sucks... and he sucks hard. [/rant]
Some day, someone will best me.  But it won't be today, and it won't be you.

The artist formerly known as Burning Rage.

Beating Blade's took a while, but it is doable. Use his 'Stun Room' debuff for it.

Meh... Blade is okay. His biggest problem is the lack of energy. He is at least better than the WAY over-rated (imo) Spider-Woman. Her mission is literally IMPOSSIBLE to get a medal on.

for blade I had gun blast and spike totally maxed, use that with the stun grenade and blood of the warrior and he's really a good char, and I easily got a gold on his sim mission.  Spider Woman I had her first blast maxed and use the web traps and the stun attack along w/buffs = gold medal. 
I really like Blade too so I played around with him for a long time trying to find a combo of moves that works.  Luckily I got a piece of equipment that gave gun blast +3.

you don't need gun blast, just the spike when you try his mission. then use something like Asgard Armor for extra damage. charge and release. gun blast is useful for its knockback but not damage.. and his self-buff is not bad but also not necessary for getting gold.

Blade definitely needs to be more powerful & speedy at the same time if he's supposed to be half vampire.  I don't think he's worse than Elektra though... she has to be the weakest character in the game.  She always ends up dying if she's on my team.  But then again, I play like a madman...

Quote from: THX on March 22, 2007, 06:43AM
She always ends up dying if she's on my team.  But then again, I play like a madman...

The best part about Elektra dying is her parting words "Oh no, not again"!

Slightly off-topic, but still... The cover for June's New Avengers shows Ronin perforating 'Lektra with her skewer of a katana. Groovy.

Crimson Dynamo says:
In Soviet Russia, the games mod YOU!

If anyone needs any art for icons or portraits, feel  free to ask, I'll see what I can do.

Elektra is a powerhouse for me.  She pwns face whenever I play as her, so I frequently use her.  I like how in MUA you can switch characters in and out, and not have to worry about a significant drop off in experience for the characters you don't use that often.  It keeps everyone a little more even, so you don't have to worry about not being able to use a character because he/she/it sucks too much to use due to lack of levels.

April 16, 2007, 08:42PM #8 Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 09:44PM by Burning Rage
Ok...  After playing with Blade a lot, I definitely changed my mind.  All you need is a little work with him, and he's pretty good.  Not to mention that while browsing through herostat, he has leadership!  How in the hell did Blade turn into a leader?  Nonetheless, he's definitely awesome for having it, as it explains why my characters are powerful as hell... Since his Leadership is maxed out, everyone gets a critical almost every time.  For a while I was wondering why Elektra was doing 1,500+ with her Sai attacks... then again, she was doing that even during her comic mission without Blade in the party... 0.o  I don't know why she's so damn strong, but she's a member of my team for sure.

Ghost Rider turned out to be another surprise.  The first time I tried his comic mission, I thought he was a disappointment...  But I tried again just recently, taking the time to level him up and add a few passives and all, and dayamn!  Ghost Rider rocks!  He's doing 500+ with his combustion power, without charging it all the way.  Yeah, I maxed out his hellfire passive and gave him Starbolt's Flame, but still.  NICE!

However, if there is any one character that jumps out at me as absolute suck, it's Doctor Strange.  I mean, I actually tried with him, but he absolutely sucks in every way possible.  His attacks don't do much for damage at all.  I have yet to be able to do his comic mission.  I keep getting killed, and I'm at level 40+, with a good amount of his powers maxed.  The only good thing he has going for him is his healing power, which doesn't do much to save you, his Black Magic (only because it's the ONLY move that does over 100 damage...  but it's a rip off of Scarlet Witch's power from XML2), and maybe Mind Control.  The enemies just stand there with their head up their ass when I use the mind control...  They're supposed to be on my team, right?  That's what the description says, but they don't attack at all.  Then when it wears off in 6 seconds, I'm surrounded by a horde of enemies lacking any good powers to fight them.  I tried just running until the end of the level so I can get the basic 10,000 points, but I can't even make it.  He SUCKS!  Meh...

All things considered, I think the devs actually did a really good job on this game.  Yeah, there are some annoying mistakes with the game like a few bugs, bad skins (the most annoying is the fact that half the skins have vertical black lines, and some of them are big blotches due to the image not being big enough, but I fixed most of the skins... the faces that are screwy though, some I can't seem to fix, like Elektra's...  Her PS2 models look so good though, what happened?  I'm assuming the geometry is different, warping the face of the skin or something?  I dunno...), stuff like that, but there is some really cool details that are in the game that I feel a lot of other games would have left out.  Yeah, it's not perfect, but it's pretty close.  I hope they make another game like this soon though.

Yay!  Finally another Dr Strange hater.  He should have been a NPC and someone cooler should've had his spot.  Hawkeye anyone?

The trick with Strange is that his powers are obviously geared towards a shifty jumpy sneaky support type - the teleports, the flight, the pixies and the Falteen Flame all point to that: he is there to make the lives of the tanks easier. But without the tanks to shield him, he is a lot more mortal than the other weaklings of this game.

But as far as the surprises go, I'd name Invisible Woman - her trap powers are rather cool and handy, and constantly have you on your toes, doing crowd control and trying to whack as many enemies as possible before they get free. Like you're caught inside a CAPCOM arcade game with your last quarter just having jumped into its bowels, solo-ing as her can either drive you mad - or give you the best time you've ever had with a polygon-shaped chick.

Crimson Dynamo says:
In Soviet Russia, the games mod YOU!

If anyone needs any art for icons or portraits, feel  free to ask, I'll see what I can do.

Blade isn't too bad - I played with him as one of my 'super-natural team' on hard - the main problem with him is his targeting is rather shoddy and doesnt have any attacks that dont only last for a short amount of time.  However, his exploding stake power is very powerful is built up properly.

Similarly for Dr Strange - I barely used most of his powers except the default one and the black magic, plus levitation.  Levitation works particularly well on places where there are edges to throw people over - particularly Skrull world.

As it stands though, my my play the most powerful characters have ended up Cap, Deadpool, Ghost Rider and Silver Surfer based on playing the game through 3 times with separate teams.

April 19, 2007, 12:15PM #12 Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 12:20PM by iammingy
I like his heavy-attack charge, which is a shot from his shotgun (This fits better with Nick Fury or a Punisher mod!).
The only thing I don't like about Blade is that the explosion from his Destructive Spike can hurt yourself and teammates, too!!!!

Dr Strange is quite challenging to use.  You have to put alot of points in Falteen Flame and Black Magic. Have Eye of Agamato on when fighting, Falteen Flame when mobbed or low on health, Black Magic anything when not mobbed.

if you can't get gold with every character by now, you just don't know how to use them effectively. granted Dr. Strange isn't very good but Black Magic makes killing enemies as easy as 1 shot, maybe 2. the Mind Control doesn't work when you change ALL ENEMIES on the screen, then they have nobody to attack... you need distant enemies that aren't affected for your temporary buddies to do something... but it's generally not very useful anyhow.

Dr. Strange has the ever-so-useful TK ability. keep it low point and you can push Leapers out of the way quickly then Black Magic away. you can TK tons of enemies off the map and you should always grab the sword from the Fire Giant for maximum efficiency.

I think the only character in this game I really don't like is dr strange, I've always been the jump in and beat the hoards or die trying. Doesn't suit my style. And I've have to say blade does mostly suck, unless you use him alot, give him all the striking upgrades and body etc. Or do what I did and modify the herostat, give him regen like a real vampire/human would have, gave him some extra strike points, nothing ridiculous, just what would seem logical for a vampire to have. Come to think of it, that's my main beef with this game, they didn't really assign stats right. Characters like the Thing, luke cage, the heavy hitters, should do a considerable amount more of damage than they do. (modified that in the herostat as well, heh.)