the problems of marvel comics

Started by Nowhere Man, March 10, 2009, 08:21PM

Previous topic - Next topic
March 10, 2009, 08:21PM Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 08:28PM by Nowhere Man
I thought it would be a good idea for us to discuss what we think are the problems with reading marvel comics. I'm gonna make a list of what I think is wrong with marvel, please comment and add stuff if there's any other thing you don't like.

1. Death and ressurection: I think everyone agree with me on this. I'm not saying you should never kill a character, but if you do, make sure it stays dead! It should be shocking when a character you like dies, even more if it ever comes back to life. but they've been doing that so much that when someone dies we already know it's for just about a year. If a character is too popular to die, cause you know you're gonna have to bring it back, don't kill it. For example: killing colossus isn't cool, cause he's so popular, killing banshee is ok, cause he's well known enough to shock, but hasn't been that popular for a long time, and his daughter has the same power. Plus, some character that we have learned perfectly well to live without, like Magik, came back!

2. Big families: Don't try to make so much money out of a single concept. The X-Men for example. You have: X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, Astonishing X-Men, Excalibur, New X-men, X-Force, X-Factor, New Mutants, Young X-Men, Generation X and so on. In a world with 400 mutants or so, why would you have to have so many x-teams?

3. Too many characters: there are just too many secondary characters that no one cares about. Stop creating so many unoriginal and unimportant characters and make the pre-existing characters more three-dimensional. You end up having many character with similar powers, for example: Human Torch, Sunfire, Sunpyre, Pyro, Starfire, Firefibird, Match...

4. Power changes: How many times do you have to alter a characters power? take scarlet witch or psylocke for example. Make up your minds!

5. Grey Family: ok, you have Jean, then you have Jean's clone, then you have Jean's daughter from an alternate future, then you have Jean's clones son who's from the future, then you have Jean's clones sons clone, then you have Jean's clones sons alternate dimension version. Enough, right?

6: Beyonder: First he's an omnipotent being from another dimension, then he is an incomplete cosmic cube, then he merges with molecule-man and is a complete cosmic cube, then he's actually an inhuman mutant...once again: Make up your minds!

7: Spin-off heroes: That used to be a DC issue, but now it's a marvel one too. How many heroes can you create with a single idea? take Captain America as an example. So, you have Captain America, Bucky, Nomad, Battlestar, US Agent, Jack Flag, Free Spirit, Female Bucky, Josiah X and now Patriot. In fact there is a whole team of mini version of old heroes (Young Avenges) and Araña too (like it wasn't enough to have had 4 spider-women). Can't they come up with original concepts for new heroes?

8: Big events that will change the marvel universe as you know it forever: I like big events, but if you do them all the time they lose their impact and the heroes have no status-quo to go back to. It's great to mess with the status-quo, or simply change it every once in a while, but if you change it so aften that they simply don't exist anymore the events get anti-climatic. And don't get me started on "Brand New Day". Returning a status-quo to what it was 25 years ago sucks big time.

I obviously love Marvel Comics, but they're not perfect. Do you all agree with what I wrote or have something to add?
My Releases - http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=3554.0

"Beneath this mask there are ideals and ideals are bulletproof."

i don't agree with half of it...

what do you disagree with? I'd love to read your opinion. =)

Well i have no problem with jean's family at all.
I don't think anything is wrong with the x-family or Young Avengers.
Plus it's great that they have a lot of characters in Marvel :]

Quote from: Nowhere Man on March 10, 2009, 08:21PM
1. Death and resurrection:

Every comic company has problems with this though.

they sure do!

young avengers is actually very well written...what bugs me is that they are so similar in power and style to the older heroes. they could have tried to make them a little more different.

as to the grey family, half this number would be the ideal, having the clone have a kid who has a clone and an alternate reality version is just too much, in my opinion.

Quote from: Nowhere Man on March 10, 2009, 08:21PM
7: Spin-off heroes

my favourite character is a spin-off, or rather a parady of a DC character, by that i mean deadpool

well yeah your right about that last guy

I have to add something: Why on Earth (or should I say, why on Asgard:rofl:) did they do Norse gods and Goddesses? Why? Why! That is un-origanal, like you say about other heroes, Nowhere Man.

I definitly disagree with that. I think it's a lot of fun to use characters that already exist in everybodys mind and play with them. Thor is actually my favourite Marvel hero.

Quote from: Nowhere Man on March 13, 2009, 12:27AM
I definitly disagree with that. I think it's a lot of fun to use characters that already exist in everybodys mind and play with them. Thor is actually my favourite Marvel hero.

Well, ok. I have to admit I do like Thor and Loki. But still... If you think about it, it is kinda weird.

March 14, 2009, 01:09AM #11 Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 01:14AM by Nowhere Man
if you really stop to think about it every single super-hero comic book is very weird! but I guess people like us just like using our imagination to the fullest =P

Quotemy favourite character is a spin-off, or rather a parady of a DC character, by that i mean deadpool

Deadpool rocks! he's one of the best parodies! I'm not saying you should never do spin-offs. I love She-Hulk and Miss Marvel (who used to be a spin-off of Cap Marvel). I'm just saying they're overdoing it...a LOT! just read that Cap America example I wrote.

1. I agree, comic deaths are a joke now, we know someone will eventually bring them back (but i cant agree on the Magik comment, i love my Magik :))

2. I dont mind so many teams being around, i do mind so many team comics out, cause then i gotta check them out and waste my money on the bad ones (Young X-Men, Claremont's Exiles).

4. Power changes are alright when its an evolution of a character, for example early Moonstar were it kept growing and extending. But when its not its just a little stupid, how did Psylocke get TK powers from Jean?

5. I love everything Grey and Summers, so for me the more the better :)

6. The Beyonder thing was a mess, i dont know why they made him an inhuman. (almost as bad as the whole Xorn thing)

8. I agree on that one, im just glad the X-Men for the most part stay out of the main marvel big events.
Please search the forum before asking a question. I dont answer
PMs about modding, those questions should be posted in a public thread.
What im currently working on: http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=2275.0
My mods are mine to booster/update, I will not give anybody permission to do it

Quote from: nodoubt_jr on March 14, 2009, 12:37PMhow did Psylocke get TK powers from Jean?

that was never explained, people just assume it had something to do with the residual phoenix force but your guess is as good as any.

Quote from: nodoubt_jr on March 14, 2009, 12:37PM5. I love everything Grey and Summers, so for me the more the better :)

It must have been really hard for you to see the Shi'ar killing most of them =P

Quote from: Nowhere Man on March 14, 2009, 01:25PM
It must have been really hard for you to see the Shi'ar killing most of them =P

Yes, yes it was.  But between cloning, alternate dimensions/futures and time travel, im sure we will see some more Greys (and hopefully more Summers too).
Please search the forum before asking a question. I dont answer
PMs about modding, those questions should be posted in a public thread.
What im currently working on: http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=2275.0
My mods are mine to booster/update, I will not give anybody permission to do it