The XML1 -> XML2 Project

Started by DJay Saint, April 06, 2007, 12:42PM

Previous topic - Next topic
April 08, 2007, 06:44PM #75 Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 06:47PM by Burning Rage
Dude, I seriously don't know what in the hell is wrong with that .eng you converted...  This program doesn't give any frickin' clues as to where the error is, and I've been through the damn thing almost on a line by line basis.  All of the braces are there.  I've even checked the multi-functions and made sure the line spacing is correct...  There is nothing wrong with the ending semicolons...  I did a search function to make sure no colons were put in place of a semicolon on accident.  I don't know.  This is frustrating as hell.

EDIT:  While keeping the "some values are different in XML2" notion in mind, I wonder if that's the reason I get CTD when I use the new .engb when I replace a level and attempt to load an XML1 map?
Some day, someone will best me.  But it won't be today, and it won't be you.

The artist formerly known as Burning Rage.

I feel the same way. I even searched for all the various endings ({, }, ;) with a space after, no cigar. Goddam it!

Just so we are all on the same page: what have you been able to do? Overwrite a map, but not usably so, correct? Have you been able to add a new map yet?

EDit: feck thats not a smilie. it is ; followed by ). Also, diff values may (probably are) be the cause of a CTD.

Quote from: BliZZ on April 08, 2007, 06:47PM
I feel the same way. I even searched for all the various endings ({, }, ;) with a space after, no cigar. Goddam it!

[technicality]Spaces after a line or function end will not affect the file.  They only add extra null data, and since it is after a line end, it will be skipped by the program until the next function beginning.[/technicality]

QuoteJust so we are all on the same page: what have you been able to do? Overwrite a map, but not usably so, correct? Have you been able to add a new map yet?

Agreed.  I haven't tried adding a new map yet, simply because I don't quite know how.  I know what files are all needed in a new map, but I'm not sure how to get it to show up in the Xtraction Point menu when you hop between different acts, and I don't know where the maps are actually defined at (I know where they are packaged at, and where their files are, but that's it).

QuoteEDit: feck thats not a smilie. it is ; followed by ). Also, diff values may (probably are) be the cause of a CTD.

:rofl:

Zoneinfo in data defines the various maps. The folder 'missions' in data is for objectives. I'm sure the xtraction_points file affects it, but I'd have to look into it.

PS: Is there any way to insert a line break w/ Notepad's Replace function? Or Word's, Works Word Processor's, or Wordpad's? It would cut the time needed to convert down 60 fold. From 4 hours to 4 minutes.

April 08, 2007, 07:03PM #79 Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 07:08PM by Burning Rage
I wish I knew...  I tried finding something like that in Word and Notepad, and found both of their replace functions are similar, in that they only appear to replace words.  I would be able to convert a .nav in a matter of seconds if there is.  I'll have to dig up tutorials from Microsoft.com and see if there is.  I spent the grand majority of the time just hitting enter to create blank lines between each function and moving the function data out of the name line, and down below where the data should go.  It was depressing getting about halfway through a long .nav, and seeing you still have like 500 more entries to go.  My fingers were tired after doing that.

I didn't know there was a seperate file for the xtraction points...  I'll have to search for it.  Being that I tried to enter the level via Xtraction point, it would make sense getting a ctd, being that it wasn't defined in that file.  Which folder was that in?  *searches*  Meh...  I feel incredibly stupid.  The hardest things to find are always those in plain sight.   :(  I'll try modifying it and see if I can't define the Mansion's Xtraction point.  Maybe once that is set in place, I can use it.  Here goes nothing...

EDIT:  WTF?

QuoteXMLB Xpoints {
   xpoint {
   act = 1 ;
   name = Ryan's test ;
   towncenter = true ;
   zone = work/rdanz/a ;
   }

}

That's all that is in the file...

I have figured out how to use Replace all the way to the point that my 4 hours of 'conversion' is holding down the left arrow and hitting enter. If there was a command to enter line breaks w/ a Replace, I could have all of the maps converted by tomorrow (to the extent that the current ones are, not working in game)

PS: My mistake, the file you want is loadpoint_list

April 08, 2007, 07:20PM #81 Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 07:24PM by Burning Rage
SHABAM!  I figured it out!  You'll have to do it in Word though, so I hope you got it.  First, go to the Replace option.  Then, click the more tab, which will show you extra options.  Then click the special tab, and scroll up/down to manual line break.  Converting Chocolate egg just got 10000000 times easier/faster.  Enjoy!  (new effects/maps FTW!)

EDIT:  I've already converted an entire .nav file since posting this.  This is freakin' INSANE!  :runaway:

Yay! Give me a day or 2, I will have every nav, chr, and eng/xml for maps converted for you.

This is also gonna make Shadow King's effects a 20 minute job.

I wish there was a short hand method for ripping out all the models/maps...  *rolls eyes*  :rofl:  I've already converted ANOTHER .nav file.  I'm on a roll dammit!  After I get the scripts/models/maps ripped, I'll start ripping all the convo files.  If only someone could write a script real quick to use a hex editor to manualy rip all convo files out of any given .fb file..  That would be uber-freakin' helpful, as all I would have to do is type in the beginning word to search, the offset to chop off, and the ending word to delete from, and poof, ripped 30+ convos in less than five minutes.

Anyway, this might not take as long as previously thought... The longest part was ripping/converting, and converting just got shortened to a doable time table.

If you do the scripts/etc, I will do ALL nav, eng, and chr. That isn't even that much work now. I'll help with the other stuff after I finish those.

Agreed.  I'm going to attempt to put my C++ programming class to use and write a program to use a hex editor to automate all the ripping process for me.  If I can do that, I can play God with XML1PS2, as it WILL be a PC game dammit (but with no working sounds...  :()!

Most basic sounds are reused in XML2. If we can properly combine the 2, only certain minions and some select chars/bosses will be lacking in sounds. Most XML1 Bosses are in XML2 as playables or NPCs.

Alright, I've got about an hour to work on this, then I have to go out for a little while. How do you guys feel about this, though:

We need to tweak Sabretooth. His effects are supposed to be in a folder 'pcsab', but no such folder exists. I'm thinking that we should set up some effects that are NOT the same as Wolverine's, as well as slow down/boost the damage of his attacks.

PS: Just like I think we should change Jean's XML2 costume to an alternate soes short hair can be her base costume, Iceman NEEDS his hat costume to be base, seeing as the Iced-Down model is his hatted Ultimate. Armband can still be there, but should be an alternate costume.

Here is a square for a tweaked Iceman char select portrait:

For some reason, the game has costumes built in which were never used? Hmmm.... I'll attempt a costume breakdown for the chars. Also, some of the skins need tweaking and I'll also post some that it would simply be cool to have, but we don't as of now...

bold= needs an edit/doesn't exist

Avalanche
skin = Modern/XML1
skin_70s = Classic (need to modify Modern so it has blue underarmor and an 'A')
skin_aoa = AoA (Don't know a good skin to base it on, but all chars NEED to have aoa for that bonus)
skin_future = Gladiator/Dark

Beast
skin = Ultimate
skin_60s = Original (I think he needs a quick edit: his belt should be colored the same as Jean/Cyc, NOT red)
skin_aoa = Custom Dark Beast skin
skin_winter = Spacesuit

Bishop
skin = Modern/Bald
skin_aoa = AoA
skin_astonishing = Original (You know, his TAS look? Could probably be based on his Classic model)
skin_civilian = Classic

Colossus
skin = Ultimate
skin_70s = Classic
skin_aoa = AoA
skin_astonishing = Astonishing
skin_civilian = Ultimate (No Metal)
skin_future = Gladiator
skin_winter = Spacesuit

Cyclops
skin = Ultimate
skin_60s = Original
skin_70s = Classic
skin_aoa = AoA
skin_civilian = Street Gear/Civie
skin_future = Gladiator
skin_winter = Spacesuit

Emma Frost
skin = XML1/Uncanny
skin_70s = Classic Custom
skin_aoa = AoA (A basic female should get the job done: just color her the proper purple/orange and make a bald patch)
skin_astonishing = Modern/XML2
skin_winter = Spacesuit

Gambit
skin = Modern/XML2
skin_70s = Classic custom (not really 70s, but whatever)
skin_aoa = AoA
skin_civilian = Xml1/Ultimate
skin_winter = Spacesuit

Iceman
skin = Ultimate/XML1
skin_60s = Original
skin_70s = Armband/XML2
skin_aoa = AoA
skin_astonishing = Custom 90s by darkm
skin_civilian = Ultimate (Iced Down)

Juggernaut
skin = Modern
skin_60s = Classic
skin_aoa = AoA
skin_civilian = No Helmet Classic

Magneto
skin = Ultimate
skin_60s = Classic (Pretty easy custom, just use AoA's skin square and splice it onto Ult's model)
skin_aoa = AoA
skin_civilian = No Helmet Ultimate

Nightcrawler
skin = Ultimate
skin_70s = Classic
skin_aoa = AoA
skin_astonishing = Modern
skin_winter = Spacesuit

Phoenix
skin = Ultimate/XML2 (I've become convinced this is superior to short-hair, mostly b/c model = higher res :P)
skin_60s = Original
skin_70s = Phoenix
skin_aoa = AoA
skin_astonishing = Dark Phoenix
skin_future = Gladiator
skin_weaponx = Retro Custom by darkm

Psylocke
skin = X-Treme
skin_aoa = AoA Custom
skin_astonishing = Classic Custom
skin_winter = Spacesuit

Pyro
skin = Modern/XML2
skin_aoa = AoA (like Avalanche, we NEED it for the bonus)
skin_future = dark/gladiator

Rogue
skin = Ultimate/XML2
skin_70s = Classic (even if we can't use the jacket, we still need the skin)
skin_aoa = AoA
skin_astonishing = Modern/Trenchcoat

Sabretooth
skin = Ultimate
skin_70s = Classic
skin_aoa = AoA

Scarlet Witch (we can't have an AoA for her, unless we want to go early red/gold training suit)
skin = Modern/Force Works
skin_60s = Classic
skin_70s = Gypsy

Storm
skin = Ultimate/XML2
skin_60s = Retro/Mohawk (needs cell-shading)
skin_70s = Circa GSXM #1
skin_aoa = AoA
skin_astonishing = Modern/Astonishing
skin_civilian = Street Gear/Civie
skin_weaponx = Classic (anyway that adding black lines on the MUA one would emulate the cell shading?)
skin_winter = Spacesuit

Sunfire
skin = Modern/XML2
skin_70s = Classic
skin_aoa = AoA

Toad
skin = Ultimate
skin_60s = Classic custom
skin_aoa = AoA
skin_civilian = Ultimate/Brown
skin_future = Gladiator (like Classic Storm, it lack cell shading)

Wolverine
skin = Ultimate
skin_60s = Yellow/Retro
skin_70s = Brown/Classic
skin_aoa = AoA
skin_civilain = Street Gear/Civie
skin_future = Gladiator
skin_weaponx = Weapon X
skin_winter = Spacesuit

Some of the numbering is off, but it is the best I could do with the limited resources. We also need to rundown which need packages and/or 3d heads.

April 10, 2007, 07:53PM #89 Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 08:08PM by Burning Rage
Alright, so looking at all the svs maps, I have gathered that they are all online maps, no?  Looking at the svs strings file, they all refer to online play, which is why I made this guess.  I'm trying to figure out what exactly I'm missing that makes the maps tick, because I haven't been able to walk around quite yet.  I do have a few ideas though, and am currently setting up the maps to be unique so they won't interfere with the current ones (I know, I know...  I've taken a short break so I can come back with a fresh mind on this).  What still gets me is the .boyb files.  They wouldn't be there for nothing, so they must have some sort of importance, right?  I am also modifying the loadpoint list, so hopefully I will be able to just start in the subbasement as opposed to having to do the whole mansion.  That leaves too many variables to decipher.

EDIT:  At a quick glance, that list is fine.  However, Emma does actually have an Astonishing outfit, so that one for XML2 will have to get moved to a different slot (I hate that skin anyway...)  I will be working on a way to do her Astonishing outfit.  I wouldn't worry too much about the cell shading for now.  I have Wolvie's street outfit and Storm's classic outfit in there, and it doesn't bother me for the time being.  MUAPS2 FTW!!!  For now, I want to get these levels to work!  *pulls hair out*  I know it's possible, I just have a lot of screwing around to figure out what will get them to work.

EDIT2:  Oh, and Rogue's XML1 outfit >>>>> her XML2/Ultimate.  I say we stick that in an empty slot.

EDIT3:  I know it's not accurate, but I've been sticking all the retro/TAS skins in the 70s slot for lack of a better place to put them.  I've also somewhat emulated XML2's apparant numbering system (there is a ton of characters who are numbered like this, so I decided to make all of mine numbered the same) by numbering the skins something like this:

01 - atonishing/uncanny/classic
02 - AoA
03 - base/ultimate
20 - 60s
21 - 70s
22 - future
23 - winter
24 - civilian
25 - weapon x