The XML1 -> XML2 Project

Started by DJay Saint, April 06, 2007, 12:42PM

Previous topic - Next topic
April 06, 2007, 03:14PM #15 Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 03:16PM by BliZZ
I am currently about 1/15 through the file. It took 5 minutes just to replace all instances of '="' with ' = ', and that was using Notepad's 'Replace' function :wtflol:

April 06, 2007, 04:02PM #16 Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 04:05PM by Burning Rage
I updated the previous link for the Floor 1 Mansion... It now contains all the scripts and conversations you need for that particular level.  It took me the better part of an hour to rip all that stuff.  I included a couple models and textures, and will hold off on the rest as my eyes are hurting from scrolling through the hex editor so much...  :P   It looks like the scripts are all in the same format as XML2, which is good.  However, all the conversations, if we want them to be used, need to be converted, which is bad.  The automaps from XML1 are in .igb format, but in XML2 they are in a .zam format, which I've never heard of.  Theoretically, we should be able to insert the scripts and the map, and have ourselves a level!  Well, after defining it wherever you define the levels at.  *shrugs*  With the .chr and level .eng files, we should at least be able to replace a map and walk around in it for now.  That's what I'm going to do to start, to make sure the levels work without a hitch before porting EVERYTHING.

Anyway, I'm taking a break and just going to play XML1 for a while.  :rofl:  I'll get back to this later, as well as start working on an Avalanche for XML2.
Some day, someone will best me.  But it won't be today, and it won't be you.

The artist formerly known as Burning Rage.

Well.... I got through the entities, i am now at the 'entinst'. Which means, 2 hours of work = half a map's eng :banghead:

I'll add the conversations to my 'try to do before night is over' list.

Dude, if this map doesn't check out, I will be taking a trip to the Raven offices to cap someone.........

Well, if it makes you feel better, this same map has MULTIPLE, and I do mean MULTIPLE .eng files used across several packages.  We just need one so the map will work, then we can copy and paste, changing the values as needed.  I sent the floor one your way, and I will be working on the basement as well.  Hopefully we figure something out, as I know the maps will work in XML2, it's just a matter of figuring out how to play with them.  Leave the convos out for now.  We don't need convos to determine if the map works, they are just butter for the bread.  Just in case we can't get the maps playable, you wouldn't have wasted X number of hours converting the convos.  I'm going to stick the scripts in though (minus the convo scripts of course), because those don't seem like they need to be converted at all.

Make sure to keep a thorough record of the files you insert/change, soes IF we get this mod off the ground we'll be able to distribute. (Hopefully, some other folks'll pitch in :P)

After working on this eng, the convos look like no work at all. But, if you say hold off, I will oblige.

April 06, 2007, 05:15PM #20 Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 05:18PM by Teancum
I'll get to work on the DR level conversion Monday.  I need them for the XML2 'box update anyways.  It's getting the XML1 DR courses plus Psylocke, Sabertooth, Pyro, Emma (replacing Deadpool), someone to replace Prof X (I'd love to do Beast, but I think it conflicts with the story.  So probably Jubilee, Magma or Angel.  Man, Angel would be SWEET) and one other (replacing Iron Man).  The last slot is probably going to be Avalanche, but that depends on if he's done when all the other stuff is.  (He'll be last)  So anyways, count on me for DR course conversion.  If it works on the 'box, it'll be a safe bet it works on PC.

Oh, and if we need to rewrite some scripts, count on me as well.  I've done coding for lots of games.  I've already got some 'mental coding' done for how to force the game into four particular characters instead of the ones you pick.

Dude, if you think Beast conflicts with story, wait til you get to Act 4. Angel would be a HUGE conflict with the story.

For our purposes, Beast would be easy to add. The boss version is already named differently, the only real conflict is the Act 1 Merchant and Perhaps trapped in Mikhail's Cage/showing up to kidnap Sabes. Those need to be changed to reference 'Boss Beast' (I forget what his name is, just check NPCstat), and then our Hero can be named 'Beast'.

April 06, 2007, 05:28PM #22 Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 05:37PM by Burning Rage
Quote from: Teancum on April 06, 2007, 05:15PM
I'll get to work on the DR level conversion Monday.  I need them for the XML2 'box update anyways.  It's getting the XML1 DR courses plus Psylocke, Sabertooth, Pyro, Emma (replacing Deadpool), someone to replace Prof X (I'd love to do Beast, but I think it conflicts with the story.  So probably Jubilee, Magma or Angel.  Man, Angel would be SWEET) and one other (replacing Iron Man).  The last slot is probably going to be Avalanche, but that depends on if he's done when all the other stuff is.  (He'll be last)  So anyways, count on me for DR course conversion.  If it works on the 'box, it'll be a safe bet it works on PC.

Oh, and if we need to rewrite some scripts, count on me as well.  I've done coding for lots of games.  I've already got some 'mental coding' done for how to force the game into four particular characters instead of the ones you pick.

Hold off on Emma for a little bit.  I noticed a few minor bugs with her while doing the Psylocke mod (I know how to better handle her powers and have learned some neat tricks while doing Psylocke, so now I can better capture Emma in XML2).  I'll be coming out with a fix for her (Emma) this weekend, which will have an updated Talent and Powerstyle, as well as a minor effects fix.  Psylocke is definitely good to go though.

As far as scripts go, I would appreciate the hell out of that.  I'm more of a 'shopper than anything, so all this modding is (well, was) new to me.  I didn't have much experience in programming until now, now that I've finished with my C++ classes, as well as made a phukton of mods for XML2.  It's amazing what hands on experience does.  :runaway:  Still, I try to stay away from programming as much as possible, but obviously doing the mods requires rewriting a lot of code.

EDIT:  I plan on getting to Avalanche this weekend as well if you want to wait for him too, as BliZZ and a few others want him done, so I've decided he's the next character on my list.  I've got a lot of coloring effects to do, and since he has a lot, it'll take FOREVER to get done.  Nevermind...  It was Shadow King that had eleventy seven million effects.  Avalanche shouldn't take too long.

Quote from: BliZZ on April 06, 2007, 04:37PM
Make sure to keep a thorough record of the files you insert/change, soes IF we get this mod off the ground we'll be able to distribute. (Hopefully, some other folks'll pitch in :P)

After working on this eng, the convos look like no work at all. But, if you say hold off, I will oblige.

Will do.  I keep a duplicate copy of all files I pull out, as well as a back-up folder of everything I replace.  My hard drive hates me for it, but I keep a dupe of everything inside a retardedly well organized folder, so even the dumbest of people can find what they need.  :P  I was just thinking the convos should wait so you wouldn't spend a lot of time doing them, and then for some reason I can't get the map working.  I would feel bad wasting someone's time.

I can see the end of the tunnel! Like 30 more lines in the eng, then I'll quickly zoom through the nav and chr and up the 3 of em.

Fuck!!! I spent who knows how many hours on this bullshit... and I made a mistake. The damn thing WILL NOT recompile  :banghead: :bawling: :banghead:

If I up the .src, will someone else sift through it, looking for the mistake? Or do I have to do THAT myself?

I am SO pissed right now :bawling:

April 06, 2007, 08:10PM #25 Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 08:12PM by Burning Rage
I'm having that same problem...  I did the subbasement.  :runaway:  I'm so fucking close to making it playable...  There is so much to sift through, it's impossible.

EDIT:  It's too long to post, even in the code tags...  I don't feel like raring the file and upping it.  Oh well.  I'll figure it out.

Too bad nba2kstuff seems to be permanently gone... perhaps he could of built an error print-out....

I've double-checked it twice, but I still probably missed it. There are just so goddam many values to go through... ARGH! I'm gonna quickly do the chrb and navb, and then triple check this engb again.

April 06, 2007, 08:24PM #27 Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 09:06PM by Burning Rage
AHA!  Sonuvabitch.  I just got trigger happy with the enter button, so a few of my lines turned out to be something like:

Quoteentinst {
   type = trigger_use03 ;
      inst {
      name = trigger_use03 ;
      pos = 2265 1740 0 ;e              <---
      xtents = 2230 1680 0 2300 1800 120 ;
      }

}

Now for the moment of truth...  Can I get this playable?  I'm going to figure it out right now that I got it to compile... :runaway:

EDIT:  Fuckbeans.  I forgot to do the .nav and .chr.  Chr will take 5 seconds, but the .nav is pretty long... *sigh*  It's almost like it maps out every possible coordinate you can move or something... [/sarcasm]

Mind sifting through mine? I've done it 3 times, I need fresh eyes.

PS: Nav IS a pain in the ass. It doesn't take long (I'm half done): Use Notepad and the Replace function to set it up. Then it is a lot of arrows and enters :P

http://www.momoshare.com/file.php?file=5e865259a40d56458c89a5d261ee77d9

Finished CHRB, NAVB, and an Unfinished ENGB that someone (maybe you?) needs to find the error in.