The XML1 -> XML2 Project

Started by DJay Saint, April 06, 2007, 12:42PM

Previous topic - Next topic
April 07, 2007, 10:20AM #45 Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 10:25AM by Burning Rage
Quote from: Teancum on April 07, 2007, 10:08AM
Yeah, but you gotta remember that most of the structure except for models/animations/textures/a few other things was rewritten for XML2.  They're no longer just plain XML files anymore, and most of the capabilities were probably removed.  PY scripts are just Raven's "Icarus" scripting system which they also used in variation on Jedi Outcast/Academy.  (If you notice, all scripts are "Generated By BehaveEd" which is a tool available in the Jedi Academy mod tools)  They should work, as they would have just updated the scripting system rather than rewrite it.

Hence why it takes so **** long to convert them into XML2 readable form.  It took me the better part of two hours just to convert the subbasement.eng file for the subasement...  And it also took me about another hour to convert the .nav file for it.  Those are now in XML2 form, and have been compiled into the binary files (.engb, .navb) that the game uses.  The issue is, I think, is that the .eng calls for scripts, models, and certain effects/entities to the level precache that don't exist.  While I tried to nerf all script references, that still didn't work.  My only next guess is to just try to use all the old scripts and make a completely new mansion level, as opposed to just trying to drop it on Genosha like I first did.  Yeah, all the .py scrips are in the exact same form as XML2, which I noticed were also in Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy (as I have modded that game as well, but it was mostly new skins), and have noticed the clever use of package files in XML2 that those Jedi games use also.  Silly Raven, who recycles nowadays anyway?  :rofl:

EDIT:
Quote from: BliZZHmmm... Now that I think about, 2 extra chars DIDN'T CTD. At least, I don't REMEMBER it CTDing. The second just didn't show up.... Why don't we see if we can put Jubi in the Herostat (below Emma), without the game CTDing? She won't be selectable, but she'd level up at the rate of others and we could use her as a helper NPC.....

I've tried that for shits and giggles, and my game just strait up CTD'd after the first loading screen.  *shrugs*  I'm not fond of Mr. Stark anyway, but I'm afraid of removing him right now since he is tied into the game's scripting for the final level.  I'll probably nerf Deadpool for now with Magma, and...  feck.  What the hell, Stark goes too.  For now I only need Magma, as Jubilee wasn't in the first segment of XML1.
Some day, someone will best me.  But it won't be today, and it won't be you.

The artist formerly known as Burning Rage.

No.......... Beast/Avalanche are MUST HAVES (in DP/Stark's slots) imo. THOSE are some legends. Dude, trust me: she WILL load from NPCstat, (see tommy's MUA NPCstat project) and she is NOT as deserving of a slot as Beast.

April 07, 2007, 10:32AM #47 Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 10:36AM by Burning Rage
Relax, it's just for testing...  I CAN keep two herostats around you know.  I just want the level to work.  After I get it working with the native scripting, I will nerf her for sure.  Beast is going to be made, but he's not going to make his way into my game (unless I replace Bishop or something).  I'll stick in Avalanche, and the other character will either be Shadowcat or Polaris.  If someone wouldn't mind trying to find out how to modify the .exe or look at the .dll files so we can break the character limit, then we wouldn't have to worry about cutting anyone.  Hell, even with MUA's 27 limit, that would be enough...  Do you want me to upload the .chr, .nav, and .eng files for floor 2 for conversion?

I know, I know. I was calm.

Hrmmm. I'm gonna try and go through and set it up so the game spawns Beast's boss version to free up the name 'Beast'. We'll see how it goes.

We could always call our Beast 'beastPlayable'

April 07, 2007, 10:46AM #50 Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 10:48AM by BliZZ
Nope. Cause the name 'Beast' actually results in a menu callout.

Twas an easy fix anyway. Merchant Beast (who is only in Act 1, right?) in now 'BeastBoss'.

Now, to fix his only other appearances.... (which I believe were in Mikhail's Palace and Sinister's Place)

EDIT: the only problem is his anim... he hunches. I'm thinking about adding a BeastSimple, like all the playables have.

How would you feel about walking into the danger room in the X-mansion?  While going there, there is two doors.  One leads to the control room where you activate the danger room, and the other, to your right, is a door in which you can never open (but it still has a complete hall to the danger room floor below).  However, I'm going to see if I can replace the door model with a double door, and have it be able to open.  Then we would just need a console that would activate a script and randomly spawn enemies.  Thus, an ACTUAL danger room session!  (theoretical of course, but doesn't hurt to try, eh?)

That'd be fun, although, IMO, that would be of LAST priority.

Anywho, after replacing Beast w/ BeastSimple in NPCstat, and fixing up the convos, it works perfect. We also won't run into the issue MUA had w/ Fury, being that the skin changes based on which Fury skin you are using. NPC Beast will always be in Ultimate skin.

Now I gotta go look through a walkthrough for all Beast appearances, adn fix em all up. then i will up a simple patch.

Beast Patch

This moves all appearances of NPC Beast to 'BeastSimple', instead of 'Beast', freeing it up for the hero version.

Quote from: Burning Rage on April 07, 2007, 10:32AMDo you want me to upload the .chr, .nav, and .eng files for floor 2 for conversion?

Sorry, didn't notice this as it was an edit. Yeah, I'll do them.

April 07, 2007, 01:20PM #55 Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 01:31PM by Burning Rage
Mansion

It has the second floor and the hangar.  The hangar is relatively short in all aspects.  I will continue ripping the scripts/models/conversations for all of these areas.  Hopefully some time this weekend I'll be able to give it a run.  One thing I'm not sure on though, is how to actually add a NEW level to the game?  I have to explore this aspect.

This eng has the eng AND the ger in it. Which means it is half the size! (The hanger 1). I'll up the hanger soon, it is almost done.

Ah crap, sorry about that...  I did that on accident with the 2nd floor eng also, which had the .ger and .fre in it...  I trimmed it down before upping it of course.  :P

EDIT:  Thanks for the hangar.  I'm still ripping scripts...  There's a TON of them for this first level.

I'm back, and with fresh plans of how to have Beast without him breaking the story:

-Lock him for all of Act 2, while he is 'Captive'
-Lock him from when you enter Sinister's Tower (you are supposed to meet up with him) to when you beat him in that boss battle

O' course, ideally, all character 'locks' would be removed for NewGame+ (so Jean would be useable on the Boat level), but if that isn't possible, I guess two Beast-less acts wouldn't kill anyone.

And Burning Rage, you don't have to have Beast in YOUR game if you don't want him, but I feel like he deserves that other slot in the mod we (hopefully) distribute.

Off to excruciate myself on the Mansion Floor 2.