The XML1 -> XML2 Project

Started by DJay Saint, April 06, 2007, 12:42PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Yeah, locking via script may screw us over, unless there's a IsCharacterUnlocked variable.  Then I can check to see if someone already unlocked a char.

Wait... Maybe I didn't get very far (still on the Arbiter ship), but Beast gets locked in XML1?  Or are you talking 2?

April 08, 2007, 08:07AM #61 Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 08:12AM by BliZZ
I'm talking XML2, trying to minimize overlap with NPC Beast.

Floor 2

PS: Did anyone ever find the error in my eng for Floor 1? We need to find that error....

How to restrict heroes (from Weapon X Flashback):

<MISSION descname="Weapon X Flashback" description="Weapon X Flashback" scriptstart="missions/mission_fmv_108" minheros="1" maxheros="1" location="42 36" remote="true" mapload="" maploadblackbird="true" skinset="weaponx" teamselect="false" keepheroes="false">
<REQUIREDHERO name="WOLVERINE"/>
<OBJECTIVE name="Chase" descname="Catch the director." description="Find the director of the Weapon X project." enabled="false" xp="10000"/>
<RESTRICTEDHERO name="ARCHANGEL"/>
<RESTRICTEDHERO name="BEAST"/>
<RESTRICTEDHERO name="COLOSSUS"/>
<RESTRICTEDHERO name="CYCLOPS"/>
<RESTRICTEDHERO name="FROST"/>
<RESTRICTEDHERO name="GAMBIT"/>
<RESTRICTEDHERO name="ICEMAN"/>
<RESTRICTEDHERO name="MAGMA"/>
<RESTRICTEDHERO name="MAGMACIVILIAN"/>
<RESTRICTEDHERO name="NIGHTCRAWLER"/>
<RESTRICTEDHERO name="PHOENIX"/>
<RESTRICTEDHERO name="PROFXASTRAL"/>
<RESTRICTEDHERO name="PROFXGLADIATOR"/>
<RESTRICTEDHERO name="PSYLOCKE"/>
<RESTRICTEDHERO name="ROGUE"/>
<RESTRICTEDHERO name="STORM"/>
</MISSION>

This is also further proof (for those who need it) that the slot that never unlocks was intended to be Angel's. He was the 'Hulk' of XML1 :rofl:

PS: I broke the 1000 post mark today. Yay?

Quote from: BliZZ on April 08, 2007, 08:07AM
I'm talking XML2, trying to minimize overlap with NPC Beast.

Floor 2

PS: Did anyone ever find the error in my eng for Floor 1? We need to find that error....

Eh...  I'm about a quarter of the way through on my second glance, this time going line by line.  :runaway:  I'll continue it later though, as I've gotta bounce right about now.  I'll submit findings later tonight, as well as put the level together, since I've got most of the scripts and models ripped.  None of the convos are converted yet, which I have to do before I set up the level.  Anyway, until tonight, excelsior!  (whatever that means... you guys say it a lot :P)
Some day, someone will best me.  But it won't be today, and it won't be you.

The artist formerly known as Burning Rage.

Quote from: BliZZ on April 08, 2007, 08:27AM
How to restrict heroes (from Weapon X Flashback):

<MISSION descname="Weapon X Flashback" description="Weapon X Flashback" scriptstart="missions/mission_fmv_108" minheros="1" maxheros="1" location="42 36" remote="true" mapload="" maploadblackbird="true" skinset="weaponx" teamselect="false" keepheroes="false">
<REQUIREDHERO name="WOLVERINE"/>
<OBJECTIVE name="Chase" descname="Catch the director." description="Find the director of the Weapon X project." enabled="false" xp="10000"/>
<RESTRICTEDHERO name="ARCHANGEL"/>
<RESTRICTEDHERO name="BEAST"/>
<RESTRICTEDHERO name="COLOSSUS"/>
<RESTRICTEDHERO name="CYCLOPS"/>
<RESTRICTEDHERO name="FROST"/>
<RESTRICTEDHERO name="GAMBIT"/>
<RESTRICTEDHERO name="ICEMAN"/>
<RESTRICTEDHERO name="MAGMA"/>
<RESTRICTEDHERO name="MAGMACIVILIAN"/>
<RESTRICTEDHERO name="NIGHTCRAWLER"/>
<RESTRICTEDHERO name="PHOENIX"/>
<RESTRICTEDHERO name="PROFXASTRAL"/>
<RESTRICTEDHERO name="PROFXGLADIATOR"/>
<RESTRICTEDHERO name="PSYLOCKE"/>
<RESTRICTEDHERO name="ROGUE"/>
<RESTRICTEDHERO name="STORM"/>
</MISSION>

This is also further proof (for those who need it) that the slot that never unlocks was intended to be Angel's. He was the 'Hulk' of XML1 :rofl:

PS: I broke the 1000 post mark today. Yay?

Yeah I've seen those before, but that's straight HTML-style XML.  That's what I was saying earlier.  It's more than likely been rewritten to XML2/MUA style XMLB.  I couldn't find those commands in MUAXbox.

Yep. I can verify that just converting it like you would other code doesn't work/ I tried locking Cyclops in the DeadZone, and he isn't locked. Damn. Hopefully there is a value similar to this in XMl2, though.

Did they even have Act-specific character locks in XML2?  I'm only finishing up Avalon.

No. But they had specific chars for the first mission, so that leads me to believe (at least hope) that, somewhere, there are required/locked codes built in.

I am currently converting the nyc mission (which has rooftops as part of it, btw; also, I made a mistake in the ****ing nav, as it won't compile, but that is another story) and we NEED to come up with a naming system for XML1 versions of BHood. CharnameBoss? How does that sound?

Yeah, that's fine, just as long as we won't have any duplicates.  You might go with CharnameXML1Boss.  That way we know there's not any duplicates.  I don't know if any bosses repeat in-game, but it's better to be safe.

Nope, there is no overlap. Alright, we'll name the XML1 Bhood chars CharBoss. So AvalancheBoss, BlobBoss, MystiqueBoss and PyroBoss are necessary for the NYC/Alison mission.

PS: Which Mystique skin do we want to use as her base one? Red or Black?

April 08, 2007, 02:50PM #71 Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 02:56PM by Burning Rage
The first mission simply lacked an Xtraction point.  I don't think any characters would be "locked" at all if you had an Xtraction point to change at.  Try "playable = false ;" for the characters and let me know what you come up with.  A lot of the values in XML1 DO still work in XML2, it's just written a tad bit differently (which is how I was able to get some of Psylocke's powers to work as they do... I used XML1 coding and just "updated" the wording, but it's still pretty much the same).  Remember, all game engines are usually backwards compatible, just not forward compatible, meaning the old commands are still there, just renamed.

EDIT:  There is also a script that replaces Beast with Forge when he gets captured.  Maybe it has something useful in there?

Quote from: BliZZPS: Which Mystique skin do we want to use as her base one? Red or Black?

I think she used red mostly in XML1, or at least during the first parts, and during the boss battle.  Also, if I'm not mistaken, her loading screen has her wearing red also.  Let's go with that one.

I still think we aughta lock via script.  It just makes life coding-wise much easier.  I can simply set up a header section in the script so that all you have to do is set things in the header to 'true' or 'false' for each character.  That way we use the same script repeatedly just changing playables as needed.

April 08, 2007, 03:53PM #73 Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 04:04PM by Burning Rage

The buoy file and the nav file have an aweful lot of similarities in the way they are set up...  But I can't seem to find any .boy(b) files for the XML1 maps anywhere.  I haven't been able to walk around in the XML1 map yet, even with the .nav file in place.  I have no idea what this .boyb file is used for, or how important it is, but I figure if it looks close enough to the .nav file, maybe it also is needed to define where you can and can't walk?

EDIT:  Dammit, all maps also need to have a package file which defines all scripts, convos, HUD heads, models, XMLs, animations, skins, effects, textures....  If they had everything that defines a map in one folder, then that would be fine, but there are pieces spread across several folders, and you have to fill all of those in, synchronize them, etc.  This is too much.  Seriously.  For one map, this is too much.  Do you have ANY idea how big of a project this actually is?  Does anyone know how long it took Raven to make XML1?  Yeah, figure about twice as long for us to port their work, at least.  I.E. not going to happen.  There's simply not enough people working on this.

April 08, 2007, 04:24PM #74 Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 04:32PM by BliZZ
The .pkgs aren't that hard to make. Especially not for the Mansion, where it is just convos. Textures/effects DO NOT have to be in pkgs, so long as they are in the corresponding ps. This IS gonna take a while, but it is doable. We have all the resources in front of us (except for the boyb/locking chars, those we gotta figure out.)

EDIT: the Boyb obviously DOESN'T need data for you to walk around. the Boybs for Act 1/5 bases are EMPTY, whereas Act 2-4's bases have data. Now we hafta figure out the differences between the bases of Act 1/5 and Act2-4.