The Jean Grey Thread

Started by marvelfan12345, July 19, 2009, 08:16PM

Previous topic - Next topic
July 22, 2009, 12:43PM #15 Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 12:56PM by warmachine300
Brilliant. So long as she has NO Phoenix powers. I'll be happy. If they give her Phoenix powers then I won't be using her. The four power they should put in are:

Telekenisis
Mulitiple telekeniss (affects multiple enemies
Psychic Wave (but this one lowers the damage output the enemies have, if they are mutants. theres a chance to switch off their powers for a time and force them to melee)
Psychic homing spike-just a homing projectile

boost attacks:
telekenitic shield
calming pressence

x-treme-Phoenix force (high chance to convert enemies

Attacks like mind control, confusion wipes, convertions and Psychic Blasts, I'll save for Emma Frost if she makes it in the game.

If she doesn't have Phoenix powers then this is my list

Telekinesis - at higher levels she can lift multiple enemies (no point in making that a seperate power if you ask me)

Psychic Wave - a radial attack that causes mental pain on enemies and has a chance to make enemy faint, convert onto the team, or be stunned

Mental Blast - fires a mental blast that causes mental damage and can harm enemies near the main victim

Telekinetic Force - slams all enemies away from her with them getting physical damage

Boosts

Telekinetic Shield - a shield that deflects projectiles and blocks melee damage

Telepathic Link - creates a psychic link between herself and her teammates increasing defense and dodging (wouldn't use it that much but I prefer it over all her XMLII boosts.)

X-Treme

Phoenix Force - lifts enemies up in the air and slams them down while releasing a fiery blast consuming all (the Phoenix causes destruction not converting enemies to their team if you ask me)

If she has Phoenix powers then I would take out Mental Blast and replace it with the Phoenix Rage power from the Dark Phoenix mod. And then her extreme should have be the White Phoenix extreme idea I had in the first post. Also her Telekinetic Slam would involve her levitating in the air slamming enemies away from her with fiery effects and the Phoenix Raptor behind her.

I honestly don't see why you wouldn't use Jean just if she may have the Phoenix even if you really hate it. I believe all characters deserve a playthrough. Also then just don't use her Phoenix powers and use her psychic ones. I hope she has Phoenix powers cuz the Phoenix is part of her and has always been a big part of her life. My opinions anyway.

July 22, 2009, 04:55PM #17 Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 04:59PM by warmachine300
I'll answer that question. First reason is more personal,because to me:

That's not the Jean i remember and fell in love with. Since the movies and the Phoenix storyline saga's that's all people want to associate Jean with. Which is a shame because she was such a lovely character b4 that and then after it too around the mid-ninties period. She don't need the Phoenix BS too be interesting but unfortunately thats the trap that everyone seems to have fallen into when marketing Jean nowadays i.e proven recently in the Wolverine & X-Men cartoon. It's really annoying. So playing her would just remind me of just how much marvel has really messed up her character. So that's reason 1.

Reason 2 and MOST importantly.

There are only 4 power attacks. And there are so many things you could do with just her telepathy and Telekinesis alone. The Phoenix powers would be such a waste and powered down like they were in legend 2. Which is pointless. If Jean had Phoenix powers too, in reality she'd be too powerful for the game. For characters to work best they have to have their strengths and flaws. Now tell me what flaws would Jean have with those Phoenix powers at her disposal as well? If they put those powers in, they'll have to power her down like they did with her in legend 2 AND Silver Surfer in MUA and that for me doesn't really work. In reality, with those phoenix powers, why do you even need a team? you could just go through the game using Jean alone.

There's a reason why alot of people prefer Jean in X-Men legends 1 than they do in legends 2. She had NO phoenix powers in legends 1 which allowed the programmers to really knuckle down and concentrate on the controlling and handling of Jean which made her excellent and one of the best characters. When they tried to be clever by adding the phoenix moves in legends 2 an essence of Jean was lost in my opinion. It didn't feel like her. Maybe it was the powering down of her moves or the programmers trying to find the right balance for her phoenix powers so she wouldn't overpower the rest of the team, I don't know. But something was missing.

Let her be her own character without the Phoenix influence.

That's my opnion

U have convinced me. I actually never knew you really liked Jean before this. I agree that her XML1 version was way better than her XMLII. But the Phoenix should be a extreme. The whole Phoenix thing has been around too long to simply delete or reboot so I say gave her a Phoenix attack for her extreme.

July 22, 2009, 07:05PM #19 Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 07:22PM by marvelfan12345
Looks like your wish won't come true.

http://ps3.ign.com/dor/objects/14233937/marvel-ultimate-alliance-2/videos/sdcc09_marvel2_trl_jeangrey_72109.htmljsessionid=2mocrxufxaj1q

Jean Grey gameplay trailer!!! She is awesome although I am a little dissapointed. Looks like she has fiery effects no pink psychic ones. Guess they want the current Phoenix Jean. Warmachine300 won't be happy. At least she has a tk shove power. And a move that burns enemies.

An article that mentions Jean. Looks like she is ok right now in gameplay. Hopefully he is wrong so that she can be way better than he says she is.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/100/1006050p1.html

EDIT: Added Jean pics to the main page as well as her video and article.

I love how she looks and that she has some new moves, im not really in love with those new moves, but at least she's seems to be different.
Please search the forum before asking a question. I dont answer
PMs about modding, those questions should be posted in a public thread.
What im currently working on: http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=2275.0
My mods are mine to booster/update, I will not give anybody permission to do it

You got me completely wrong. I love Jean I just hate what she has become. I'll be happy if they had a Phoenix extreme. Infact I was expecting her extreme to be something like a Phoenix Force. I agree with you on that point. Its kinda like Jeans Trademark finishing move anyway. I'm happy shes in the game in all honesty. I just don't want  her Phoenix moves dominating her power attack moves. Remember, there's only FOUR and I'd much rather they use those FOUR attacks as mixture of telepathy and telekenetic moves. Thank god Gambit is in too. Now Pray for Emma Frost everyone. I wanna actually see her turn into her diamond form on this game and not just some pink ring display the used for her diamond form in legends 1. That was so tacky.

Jean looks awesome. I'm praying they give her a mid-ninties/Animated series costume too. That was always my favourite Jean look.

marvelfan12345 you must be jumping for joy!

Yeah... Jean's trailer was kinda boring... I just hope they didn't want to reveal much, so that's why, but... it didn't really get my hopes up

I have no powers, my body cannot fly. But I no longer mind, for in my heart and soul -- where it truly matters -- I soar higher than the stars!

Quote from: warmachine300 on July 22, 2009, 09:31PM
marvelfan12345 you must be jumping for joy!

Yes I am. I really loved her trailer and her powers especially cuz her sash moves when she runs around.

Quote from: TheStorm on July 23, 2009, 06:48AM
Yeah... Jean's trailer was kinda boring... I just hope they didn't want to reveal much, so that's why, but... it didn't really get my hopes up
Maybe it looked boring, but at the actual gameplay, it will be cooler.

July 23, 2009, 11:38AM #25 Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 11:45AM by marvelfan12345
Yeah it will be. I love her tk radial attack and her fiery blast that casts enemies on fire. I think she will grow to be one of the best characters in the game.

EDIT: More pics of Jean in first post.

July 23, 2009, 12:21PM #26 Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 02:12PM by marvelfan12345
Ok anyway here is a quote from News Lad about Jean. Makes me feel better about her.

QuoteTo address your concerns:

StormSnake - 23 July 2009 11:02 AM
Fire-looking telekinesis? SERIOUSLY!!?

Not an accurate description. Jean Grey's powers cover a lot of ground. Yes, telekinesis is in there, yes, she has the capability to inflict fire damage, but that's kind of like saying "Juggernaut is big and punches" instead of "Juggernaut is an awesome unstoppable freight train who will ruin your world and toss you aside like a ragdoll..." It misses the entire point of how the character feels to play.  We'll be going into more detail with Jean's dev diary (going up soon), and I'll be writing some of my own impressions of Jean Grey up a little later, but my opinion of that article is that the author didn't play Jean Grey for very long (not his fault, it's a floor demo), and possibly he's not a fan of her playstyle (again, not his fault—people like different things). Gambit seemed much more his style. 

News Lad, please tell us that Jean's amazing Phoenix costume isn't gonna go to waste.

It's not.  See above. 

There's a rumor about her "transforming into Phoenix" at some point in the game?

Completely false. Jean Grey has the same number of powers and passives as other characters, and at no time does she "transform." Her powers are awesome but they are consistent.

News Lad has also said that so far Jean is his fav character to play as and he isn't biased as Jean isn't his fav Marvel character and he reads Iron Man more than X-Men.

Some info about Jean.

QuoteJean's popularity has definitely been something we've taken into account, though - she's probably one of the characters we've been asked about the most, and the one people have been most worried about not seeing in the game. Ironically, I don't think there was ever a chance she wouldn't be in, I believe she was one of the first characters we intended to include.

That is great to hear that we never had to worry as Jean was gonna be in from the beginning.

Some talk about Jean (really great news) and Gambit.

I'll post my personal gameplay summaries of Jean Grey and Gambit before the end of the day... Right now still working the 'day job' of bug hunting as well as providing coverage. 

After re-reading the dev blogs, the designers actually talk quite a lot about how these characters play. I don't want to step on their toes, so I'm going keep this pretty short: Basically, Jean's great fun, especially if you're a strategic player. When you deploy her powers correctly, she can completely turn a battle around and help a team to decimate the opposition. She's also got a particular knack for breaking lots of objects at once, which is great for causing strategic explosions and ferreting out collectibles. The one possible downside I can see: due to her popularity in the comics, a lot of people are going to want to slot in Jean immediately and just start unleashing her powers on anything that moves. On Normal difficulty or anything above it, they'll be in for a rough ride: yeah, they'll make a really cool mess and take out a number of foes in fun ways, but they'll probably expose Jean to too much enemy fire and get her health chewed down. But if you have the patience to hang back for a few seconds and watch the situation (or the skills to jump in while navigating through the ebb and flow of enemies), Jean is simply a monster on the battlefield. An advanced player will be able to figure this out pretty fast, for the average player (or someone just new to the game) it may take a few battles before they start really grasp what Jean can do.

Yep! my thought are with you buddy. and i do hope jean can repel projectiles through TK. but having her as playable makes the game perfect for me.

A developer Q and A for Jean Grey. It really has good reviews on her. Too bad they don't talk about her telepathy.

http://marvelultimatealliance.marvel.com/en/news_comments/developer_qa_on_the_making_of_jean_grey/