(04/17/12) UPDATED! Nowhere Man's releases (Colossus, Gambit, Rogue)

Started by Nowhere Man, August 04, 2009, 02:23PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Nowhere Man on October 26, 2009, 05:55PM
as I said, bug reports are welcome. saying that an attack is useless and asking me what I think targetable is, is rude and I'm not the only one who thinks so. though I admit I may have overreacted. for that I apologize.
I don't think it was as rude as you thought it was but it is still a little rude.

I don't think that all the comment was rude but this part:

Quote from: Halmabad on October 26, 2009, 08:36AM
And VERY low damage from Combustion. On hard difficulty this skill is useless.

Maybe it was not your intention, but I found quite rude when someone say that your work, or a part of it (in this case one updated power), is useless. You can like it or not but you can't just say things like that, especially when you don't know how hard is the process of modding especially for someone who is relatively new on this. I know it because I'm new on this stuff too and there are a lot of things that I don't understand yet.

Also:
Quote from: Halmabad on October 26, 2009, 08:36AM
PS What you understand as a word "targetable" in Hex Explosion description? Anyway I wasn't noticed any differences(except dmg) from the original.

Do I need to explain why this kind of question is rude? I'm sure that the answer is no.
Again maybe it was not your intention but you must choice carefully your words, especially because writing is not the best way to express emotions.
I'm not a moderator and I'm not trying to act like one, I'm just giving you a suggestion because in forums on the internet is relatively easy to misunderstood what you are trying to say.

:)
Phoenix Force: No. He loves Emma Frost.  He loves me.
Jean Grey: He wants her. Not you. Not US. And now it's time... to leave this behind.
Phoenix Endsong #5

@ MF

does it not reflect projectiles at higher lvls too? cause small forcefields do not protect from all attacks, but as it gets bigger it does. see if it's that.
My Releases - http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=3554.0

"Beneath this mask there are ideals and ideals are bulletproof."

Quote from: Mr. Law^^ on October 26, 2009, 04:17PM
To be honest, this isn't rude criticism. It's a bug report/comment. If it was rude, it would be like this:

It sucks balls.

Well to be frank, it was rude.  He could have said something like at higher levels he feels it doesn't deal enough damage to warrant full time use (as in total damage.  Combustion in XML2 did initial damage and then damage over time, it wasn't one huge shot of damage so that's probably not something he's considering).  He could have said the power damage, when compared to other powers, is under par (which might not be entirely accurate unless he looks at all the variables of the power).  He could have said *WHY* the power isn't as good as it should be (he has to consider the strength of an AoE power instead of a single enemy attack).  Instead, he chose to say it's useless (which is an opinion by the way, not an error or a bug report, but an opinion), and didn't say why, which makes him useless.  That's like me painting a picture and asking your opinion on it, and you telling me it looks like ass.  While it may look like ass, that doesn't give me any details about why it doesn't look good or what needs to be changed to make it look better.

So Halmabad, if something isn't to your liking, explain WHY it isn't to your liking.  If the power doesn't deal enough damage, state that and back it up with examples.  If a power isn't "targeting" like it should, simply state the projectile in question just arbitrarily goes forward and never seems to actually target the enemy.  While Blaw didn't find what you said rude, I do because instead of being productive and trying to explain to Nowhere Man what is wrong with the mod, you chose to simply be an ass about it.  Bug/error reporting involves facts, not opinions.  Facts mean indisputable evidence in which everyone agrees.  While you may think the power is useless, someone else might not.
Some day, someone will best me.  But it won't be today, and it won't be you.

The artist formerly known as Burning Rage.

Maybe someone, who knows English much better than I decide, that my posts carried hidden meaning, like rude criticism, disrespect to author or something else... But it's not, it just an emotionless bug report, and I apologise, if it has seemed to someone the offensive...
When I asked about "targetable", I meant that has been written literally, meaning of this word and nothing more. And "useless"... IMHO this skill is useless on hard because of low damage. That's all.

Ok now that everyone has said their part can we move on? An get back to modding.

And now i have to remind everyone in this thread about the rules: http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=2304.0
"Be kind to other users and Don't be rude."

Quote from: Burning Rage on October 26, 2009, 06:54PM
So you sir, are useless.

I liked your response up to that point. Lets not continue the cycle or rudeness by being rude to someone else who was rude.

Edit: On in case you were wondering, yes i thought the way Halmabad worded what he said was rude.
Please search the forum before asking a question. I dont answer
PMs about modding, those questions should be posted in a public thread.
What im currently working on: http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=2275.0
My mods are mine to booster/update, I will not give anybody permission to do it

Quote from: Halmabad on October 26, 2009, 07:02PM
Maybe someone, who knows English much better than I decide, that my posts carried hidden meaning, like rude criticism, disrespect to author or something else... But it's not, it just an emotionless bug report, and I apologise, if it has seemed to someone the offensive...
When I asked about "targetable", I meant that has been written literally, meaning of this word and nothing more. And "useless"... IMHO this skill is useless on hard because of low damage. That's all.

I'm sure he means targetable in the sense that the instead of the projectile just launching forward in a straight line, it is aimed at a nearby enemy and follows them to hit them.  To be more specific, the power is probably defined as a guided projectile entity instead of just a projectile.  Guided projectiles will turn at a certain rate to hit an enemy (in a sense, the bolt will "follow" the enemy), but some times they still do miss.

Have you leveled up the combustion to the maximum level?  I haven't played the mod so I don't know what kind of damage any of the powers do.  But if it deals less damage than any of the normal radial or "area of effect" powers, then maybe increasing the damage a bit is something that can be looked at.  However, from my understand when I played with Scarlet Witch in XML2, Combustion deals initial damage to an enemy, then they catch on fire and they get dealt damage over time.  I'm not sure how Nowhere Man did it, but radial and damage over time in both the same power is hard to balance because it can easily become broken.

Quote from: nodoubt_jr on October 26, 2009, 07:09PM
I liked your response up to that point. Lets not continue the cycle or rudeness by being rude to someone else who was rude.

Edit: On in case you were wondering, yes i thought the way Halmabad worded what he said was rude.

You're right I apologize.  I removed the offending statement in question.
Some day, someone will best me.  But it won't be today, and it won't be you.

The artist formerly known as Burning Rage.

actually, I changed to ONLY gradual dmg and very little dmg. as I said, the point is having a defensive move that doesn't really deal much damage but incapacitates enemies in radius for a time. something like emma's insanity plague in matt's booster. as for targetable, the main difference is the fact that you can hit people while flying, which you couldn't before. it does turn a little, but it's nowhere near, let's say, War Machine's rocket launcher.

@Halmabad
I believe you when you said you didn't have the intention to offend, as clearly english is not your first language. But as you can see, I, MF, BR, nodoubt and whiteking all felt your post was offensive on some level. so, try to be more careful. I also have apologized if I have overreacted and meant it. Water under the bridge. As nodoubt said. Let's move on.

Thanks to all the people who posted their opinions.

Let's forget about that, it's my bad English, sorry.
Thank you, Burning Rage, for explanation, I think targetable, as Nowhere Man said, is possibility to hit enemies than flying use "next\previous target", at least it's working.
Combustion deals "harming" damage, and it seemed to me quite low (1/s on 1 spot, 9/s on 15, or something like that). But if Nowhere Man conceived it like defensive attack, maybe it's normal.
And again I have a bug-report, sorry :). Some skills didn't work and I think I know why.
Hex Explosion: because of "%scar_hex_explos_dm1" and "%scar_hex_explos_dm2"; these variables aren't present in scarletwitch.engb.
Hex Bolts: crates don't appear. Because of "entity = switch_p5_crate ;" . I suppose it might be "entity = scawitch_p5_crate ;" like in previous version.

hex explosion is supposed to make the same dmg to objects as it does to enemies. so, having two kinds of dmgs would be redundant.

As a sign of good faith I made a different version of the mod that has the specifications that you prefer. Just so you would be pleased.

As it turns out, playing with it is even more fun, so I'm gonna replace the link at the first page. Have a blast.

Now all working perfectly, thank you! Maybe, for variety, you can make hex explosion chargeable (and lower damage of uncharging blast) and give it minor knockback (because of explosion wave), it's difficult to do? Anyway thanks again for this great work.

knockback is easy to add, you can do it yourself since you know how to decompile ps. making it chargeable is way beyond my skill, cause she has no charging anims.

it would be a bit of work, but you could add another skeleton (unless it's maxed out on skeletons) and make the effect work better when charged. this is just how you would go about it, not necessarily a request.

I would, but I'm pretty pleased with how she turned out. I played from helicarrier to niffleheim using just Wanda to test the booster, and I think it's awesome as it is =)