DirectX Problems

Started by es32123, April 17, 2007, 03:18AM

Previous topic - Next topic
A few days back I formatted my hard disk ank reinstalled WinXP Pro.

I reinstalled XML2 & MUA, but now when I want to start them an error message pops up and says DirectX is not installed.

But I installed DirectX 9.0c and even downloaded the latest version from Microsoft's Site.

Please Help 

I take it the hardware hasn't changed?
The smart thing to do is, in this order:
1) Reinstall DirectX from XML2's disc.
2) Reinstall the video drivers from scratch. It would be prudent to use a driver scrubber that removes the traces as well, these can easily be Googled.
3) Test if the game runs, get hooked in, lose grip on reality for a few days.
4) Reinstall DirectX from MUA's disc.
5) Check if it works.

Crimson Dynamo says:
In Soviet Russia, the games mod YOU!

If anyone needs any art for icons or portraits, feel  free to ask, I'll see what I can do.

It's supposed to show up in the 'Add or Remove programs' right ??

But it doesn't.

Who's supposed to? The drivers? No. YOu remove them from the Hardware Manager's window belonging to your video card.
Then reboot into Safe Mode and install the drivers from a clean safe package, preferrably the latest WHQL ones (for testing, if you use some fancy shmancy stuff like the Omega; or, like me, keep using the beta drivers, you can install those when you get the stuff to work).

Crimson Dynamo says:

If anyone needs any art for icons or portraits, feel  free to ask, I'll see what I can do.

well Actually I was talking about DirectX

Nope, it's not supposed to show up there either. To install an earlier version, you just start up the installer of the older version and confirm the file overwrites. Everything else happens on its own. I assume there's a way to remove it altogether, but it's too time-consuming - the overwriting way works, so why not use it?

Crimson Dynamo says:

Quote from: Noelemahc on April 17, 2007, 12:08PM
Nope, it's not supposed to show up there either. To install an earlier version, you just start up the installer of the older version and confirm the file overwrites. Everything else happens on its own. I assume there's a way to remove it altogether, but it's too time-consuming - the overwriting way works, so why not use it?

No it doesn't, I have tried that it says you already have a newer version and goes to Finish Screen, no overwrites.

Yes? Damn, this sucks (and is highly unfamiliar to me - when I had this problem, the XML2 DX reinstalled smooth as butter). Let me look into this...

Crimson Dynamo says: