So what exactly are your thoughts on the X-Men movies?

Started by TheStorm, August 30, 2009, 06:31PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I'm pretty sure this has been discussed million times before, but I just can't help wonder what could have been?

The first two movies are fantastic, and the third is ok. I like the third mostly because of Storm, because they captured (kinda) the real Storm. Hated her in the first two. Have nothing against Halle, but I really think that Angela Bassett would have been the perfect Storm, I really do.

Also, Brett screwed up Phoenix unbelievably, it almost has nothing to do with the comics version.
Every time I watch the movie I wanna cry. And the worst thing is, I just read on Wikipedia (I know, not a reliable source)

" Bryan Singer, the director of the first two X-Men films, left the project during preproduction in order to direct the film Superman Returns. He was joined by X2 screenwriters Dan Harris and Michael Dougherty and composer / editor John Ottman. Though Singer, Harris and Dougherty had yet to complete a script, the director has revealed that at the time of his departure they had partially completed a story treatment for the film which would have focused exclusively on Jean Grey's resurrection with the new villain Emma Frost, a role intended for Sigourney Weaver. Frost was an empath manipulating Jean's emotions in the treatment, and like the finished film Magneto desires to control her. Overwhelmed by her powers, Jean makes Cyclops kill herself, but Jean's spirit survives and becomes a god-like creature, which Dougherty compared to the star child in A Space Odyssey. "

Does anyone know if this is true?

Now that would have been perfect!!!

the perfect X3, definitely.

I really think Sigourney would have been great as Emma.

I liked Cyclops, Jean (in the first two), Wolverine (without a doubt), Mystique (which was a nice surprise), Magneto and the Professor.

I really didn't like what they did with Rogue and Colossus, and Iceman was ok, but definitely not like the comics, personality wise.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers

:storm:

Oh, and P.S. I watched all of the Wolverine and The X-Men episodes, and they were fantastic, really good. I noticed that they had some thing from the third movie and they did a great job.

I have no powers, my body cannot fly. But I no longer mind, for in my heart and soul -- where it truly matters -- I soar higher than the stars!

I thought they were all pretty crappy to be honest. But then again, the only Marvel movies ive liked so far have been Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk. You were right about the first 2 movies though. They were far better than 3. My theory being that David Hayter (AKA the voice of Snake from the Metal Gear series) wrote the first 2 movies, but his script was rejected for 3.

Not sure about Sigourney Weaver as Emma, isnt Emma supposed to be, i dunno, hot? Dont get me wrong, i love Sigourney, as an actress, the Alien movies are some of my favourites of all-time (Not AvP though, dont even get me started). Sigourney, i believe is known for her ability to play tough characters, not hot ones.
Well thats my 2 cents :P

Sigourney Weaver? For Emma? That's a laugh. She can act, but no. I don't see her as Emma Frost. Neither do I see the girl/woman who portraited Emma in X-Men: Wolverine Origins. Must be someone you can point at and say: That's definetly Emma.

Did Xavier wipe out the memories of scott btw? Because he was saved by Wolverine & Gambit in XWO, but he couldn't remember Stryker in X2... If not, bad prequel.

Quote from: BLaw on August 31, 2009, 03:06AM
Sigourney Weaver? For Emma? That's a laugh. She can act, but no. I don't see her as Emma Frost. Neither do I see the girl/woman who portraited Emma in X-Men: Wolverine Origins. Must be someone you can point at and say: That's definetly Emma.

Did Xavier wipe out the memories of scott btw? Because he was saved by Wolverine & Gambit in XWO, but he couldn't remember Stryker in X2... If not, bad prequel.
Don't know, if Xavier wiped his memories, but I think the whole X-Men movies weren't as good as any X-Men comic or cartoon. BTW, I say, they should make cartoons, instead of movies, because maybe cartoon wouldn't be so bad.

Yes, the cartoons are usually better.
I don't know, I was happy to see Cyclops and Emma Frost in the Origins movie, but they just kinda screwed them up, really, didn't fit well with the story.

BLaw, you're right, I'm sure there are better choices for Emma out there, but Sigourney can play a great seductress, like she did in that Heartbreakers movie.

I don't know, I seem to be the only one who thinks she'd be ok :)

I have no powers, my body cannot fly. But I no longer mind, for in my heart and soul -- where it truly matters -- I soar higher than the stars!

Let's be honest! They really screwed it up with the XWO script! Put Emma Frost as Silver Fox's sister? What the heck do they have in common? I don't think they even know each other in the comics storyline! That was plain ridiculous! Not to mention how they pictured DP! I mean, Reynolds was alright as Wade Wilson (although I think they should've given him more lines) because in his Hannibal King character in Blade Trinity he really acted like a DP! A lot of stupid jokes that made Blade hate him, and all... But overall, I think the x movies were "watchable". At least for the real fans, they were worth a DVD collection.
What Would You Do... If You Only Had... One More Day?

Yes, I agree completely, they just screwed up Emma and DP, and I loved the fact that Gambit was in, but I don't think he kinda fit in with the story.

But that's just me.

The guy who played gambit didn't act bad, but he forgot the accent more than 75% of his screentime.

And for the people who deserted the X3 movie; they got what they deserved: a bad Superman movie. I actually never liked Superman. I mean, come on! The name is alone is cheesy! :P

hahahahahahahahhahah so true!

And that's what I was thinking, Singer should have put his efforts in X-Men.

Quote from: xlehnsherr on August 31, 2009, 05:52AM
Let's be honest! They really screwed it up with the XWO script! Put Emma Frost as Silver Fox's sister? What the heck do they have in common? I don't think they even know each other in the comics storyline! That was plain ridiculous! Not to mention how they pictured DP! I mean, Reynolds was alright as Wade Wilson (although I think they should've given him more lines) because in his Hannibal King character in Blade Trinity he really acted like a DP! A lot of stupid jokes that made Blade hate him, and all... But overall, I think the x movies were "watchable". At least for the real fans, they were worth a DVD collection.
Well, if I remember well, they made Sabertooth and Wolverine brothers as well, that's ridiculous too. And Deadpool. I mean, come on, what's hard in making a DP? If you ask me, it wouldn't be hard, to make him good, but they were able, to make him bad.

True, true!

Superman Returns sucked big time! Although it was interesting to see how someone "super" can still get the ass kicked by some small time punks! But overall, it sucked!

And, hell, yeah, Wade, I forgot to mention the Wolverine and Saber tooth brothers relation!
Oh, and also, Maverick as some random Asian dude? That was ridiculous! If I recall correctly, David North is Canadian, right? They didn't even show his powers!

The whole North being Asian looking don't care, as long as he speaks American/Canadian. Tbh I liked the character more than I liked Creed and Logan being brothers (I dislike that concept).

Okay, face it. If you look at the movie as a Marvel dude/girl then it's a fail. But as a movie, well, I don't know. Maybe good?

Well, the x-movies and XOW are not coherent if you're gonna make comparisons with the actual storyline from the comics, but as movies simply for fun, and for those who don't know the characters and just want to have some fun and action, it's quite alright!

As I like to say in Portuguese, "Filmes Pipoca" , or "Popcorn movies" they're fun and ok to watch if you're just basically looking for a fun movie!

Well I consider the movies to be a new universe but they did say that they want the characteristics to be the same. Gotta keep their word right?