Women in Refrigerators

Started by Nox, October 13, 2009, 11:25AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Don't forget Deadpool's curse, courtesy of Thanos (which, with Thanos' death, might have ended, though) - in his crazy jealousy of Death, he made it so the guy would never be able to completely DIE. Which is negated in an extremely gruesome way in Days of Future Now, I gotta admit.

Angel! How could we forget Angel! What with his losing wings, attempting a suicide and being reborn as Archangel, regaining wings, losing wings, regaining-- well, you get the gist.

Iceman's inability to de-ice for a while, a few shatterings (which was when he discovered he could regenerate by dehydrating anything and everything around him, including people), a child that may not have even been his...

Emma Frost and her crazy emotional turmoil, the one that drove her to become a heartless blonde with big gazongas (which ain't half bad for a girl who was originally brown-haired and FLAT), the deaths of her students for which she continued to beat herself up for decades until Morrison forgot about that part of her and the subsequent writers followed his example.

Moon Knight. Just Moon Knight.

Quicksilver. His daughter being a bargaining chip for Acolyte idjits, his crushed state after M-Day (which is sort of compensated by what he later did with the Terrigen Mists), his own weird relationship with Joseph...

Let's not mention the Punisher, although we is both a fridge and a fridge-maker at the same time.

Longshot, although his mindwipes and artificial nature don't let him to realize half his problems (well, Dazzler probably won't let him forget - too bad I quit reading the eXile comics, huh?).

Pretty much the whole Ultimate universe is one big refrigerator by this thread's conditions, by the way =)

Crimson Dynamo says:
In Soviet Russia, the games mod YOU!

If anyone needs any art for icons or portraits, feel  free to ask, I'll see what I can do.

So basically they're immortal unless killed and when they're killed and brought back then they ware never actually dead hence they're still immortal...wow, guess Rage really did write that dictionary. lol
But I think my original question was a bit lost in all this equal treatment and immortality debates.
Do we really need People in Refrigerators?
I don't know about the rest of you, but I read comics to take a break from all the crap the real world has to offer, so reading about rape, brain-death, slavery, alcoholism, wife beaters etc. is not something I want in excess.
I'm not saying all of it should be removed but toned down, they've been really laying it thick with all the hero alcoholics and there's so much angst going on even Deadpool's been infected, and that's just wrong.
Is there a super-hero, anti-hero or just a hero out there who's actually happy to be one?

The Captain. Heck, all of Nextwave is about that - all the refrigerating going on is made fun of in very messy ways (just look at Dirk Anger). "They EXPLODE! My life has found a new meaning!"

Squirrel Girl, I suppose, though I'm not familiar with all of the GLA lore and she might be hiding some dark hurt past of her own. I honestly can't name any one non-comedic non-2d character here. Does Mojo count as a non-frosty example, by the way? There are none among the mutants, I'm certain.

This turn of storytelling is necessary to flesh characters out, find a way for character development to work, but the idea has been worked to the bone now - as we've established, 98% of all Marvel characters have had it in some way or another.

Crimson Dynamo says:

If anyone needs any art for icons or portraits, feel  free to ask, I'll see what I can do.

Quote from: Nox on October 15, 2009, 12:18PM
So basically they're immortal unless killed and when they're killed and brought back then they ware never actually dead hence they're still immortal...wow, guess Rage really did write that dictionary. lol

That's not what I said.  Don't be stupid.
Some day, someone will best me.  But it won't be today, and it won't be you.

The artist formerly known as Burning Rage.

Quote from: Noelemahc on October 15, 2009, 12:28PM
The Captain. Heck, all of Nextwave is about that - all the refrigerating going on is made fun of in very messy ways (just look at Dirk Anger). "They EXPLODE! My life has found a new meaning!"

Squirrel Girl, I suppose, though I'm not familiar with all of the GLA lore and she might be hiding some dark hurt past of her own. I honestly can't name any one non-comedic non-2d character here. Does Mojo count as a non-frosty example, by the way? There are none among the mutants, I'm certain.

This turn of storytelling is necessary to flesh characters out, find a way for character development to work, but the idea has been worked to the bone now - as we've established, 98% of all Marvel characters have had it in some way or another.

Yeah I was asking about Marvel, bummer.
But here's the funny thing, I was hoping the Ultimate universe would be different, I mean they ware starting anew and all, and things ware looking good and then Ultimatum came and there's so many frost characters now it's not even funny.

I guess some of you need to be reminded of the forum rules, http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=2304.0
"Be kind to other users and Don't be rude."

feel free to discuss things and disagree, but dont insult each other ;)
Please search the forum before asking a question. I dont answer
PMs about modding, those questions should be posted in a public thread.
What im currently working on: http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=2275.0
My mods are mine to booster/update, I will not give anybody permission to do it

Well technically Marvel could not be interesting without all this trouble. I do think it is interesting to see good people get in trouble as you want to know what happens. For me characters who deserve it are not interesting and I could care less about what will happen to them.

However some characters breach the limit. Penance is not interesting as he is too messed up.

Quote from: Nox on October 15, 2009, 12:39PM
Yeah I was asking about Marvel, bummer.

he was talking bout marvel O.o'

I agree with MF, the human conflict is what attracts me the most bout marvel. I want to see the characters go through some deep Chocolate egg and overcome them. that's inspiring.

If you prefer reading a fuzzy-heart-warming-happy comics, I suggest maybe Archie's Gang or Little Lulu.
My Releases - http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=3554.0

"Beneath this mask there are ideals and ideals are bulletproof."

Or anything, which isn't Marvel, but Disney :D

Quote from: MarvelFan12345 on October 15, 2009, 12:46PM
However some characters breach the limit. Penance is not interesting as he is too messed up.

How about Norman Osborn? I think he's even more messed up after he came back from the dead and became in charge of everything...
I think Penance got better after a few psychiatric treatments with Dr. Samson.

Quote from: The Iron Power of Spider-Man on October 15, 2009, 12:50PM
Or anything, which isn't Marvel, but Disney :D

What about the Super Hero Squad??!?!? hahaha

That doesn't count, because Stan Lee is the mayor there :D

QuoteBut here's the funny thing, I was hoping the Ultimate universe would be different, I mean they ware starting anew and all, and things ware looking good and then Ultimatum came and there's so many frost characters now it's not even funny.
It was pretty frosty way before that. All of Ultimate Nightmare (and, by extension, most of Ultimate Galactus Saga), every other character found in USM, the very weird ways of Ultimate X-Men (Weapon X hits a new imagined low here, yes, but also Proteus, all things Sabertooth and the quickly-gotten-inane shtick of "yes, here's a character that is named like a 616 character and he has similar powers, BUT!" which made Longshot a petty murderer, Sinister a stuttering white mofo crazyboy, Deathstryke a Storm villain, Marrow a camero minifridge, Wraith a WHITE flatscan with issues and Deadpool a Reaver with no character depth).

Also, anybody remember X-Statix? Ice Pole, I'd say.

Crimson Dynamo says:

Quote from: Noelemahc on October 15, 2009, 01:06PM
It was pretty frosty way before that. All of Ultimate Nightmare (and, by extension, most of Ultimate Galactus Saga), every other character found in USM, the very weird ways of Ultimate X-Men (Weapon X hits a new imagined low here, yes, but also Proteus, all things Sabertooth and the quickly-gotten-inane shtick of "yes, here's a character that is named like a 616 character and he has similar powers, BUT!" which made Longshot a petty murderer, Sinister a stuttering white mofo crazyboy, Deathstryke a Storm villain, Marrow a camero minifridge, Wraith a WHITE flatscan with issues and Deadpool a Reaver with no character depth).

Also, anybody remember X-Statix? Ice Pole, I'd say.

Yeah, that bit in Sabertooth's head was seriously messed up, and kind of reminded me of Hannibal only without the class.
They totally f-up the whole X-Men arc, Bandis should have wrote a general ultimate universe arc and have the others follow it.
One of the good things is that Fury actually looks awesome this time around, he's got the whole Sam vibe going for him.
Stryfe a preacher, that one was a laugh riot, and am I crazy or did the Banshee arc make no sense, I mean Cyclops should have seen the supplier out the window and if Colossus was using it all the time, the how the hell was he getting it when he was locked up in Weapon X?