X-assault

Started by Scotimus, April 25, 2007, 06:23AM

Previous topic - Next topic
About 3 years ago or so there was a flash based X-men game going around. It was pretty cool. The creator was working on a new version when Marvel slapped him with a cease and desist order. He was never allowed to release the new version. He did have a few beta testers though. And most of them dont have the file anymore. Except for at least one. And I finally got a hold of him. So I know have the beta of what was almost released. If any of you remember the game, or just want to try it let me know and I can email it out.

There was so much potential with this game. If only I knew how to decompile flash, i'd start updating it.

anyways it's lots of fun. Just thought I'd share.

I would love to check it out, wonder why I never seen it before must have c-d before I got my grubby hands on it,anyway if you don't mind send it my way thanks  :nervous:
And their turning us into Monsters its all designed!!

All i need is an email address and I'll send it out. It's a little over 9 megs.

I'd like one too

es32123@gmail.com

Me too please thanks.

alex_j_holt@hotmail.com

Ditto.
ataehone@gmail.com

Crimson Dynamo says:
In Soviet Russia, the games mod YOU!

If anyone needs any art for icons or portraits, feel  free to ask, I'll see what I can do.

Ok i sent it out to everyone that supplied an email address so far. When I was still active duty a few years ago we would play this game for hours at night when we were stuck on watch waiting for something to happen. It's crazy addictive. Especially when you are trying to figure out which teams of characters supply hidden bonus, or how to unlock character or events, or figure out which characters trigger special dialogs. I'd love to be able to update this though. More current art, add the current teams and more characters. It's a fairly simple game with tons of potential.

9megs? Any chance it could be upped on momoshare? 10 meg limit, y'know. If not, I'll pm you my e-mail, as I'd like a copy (and I don't really wanna publicize my e-mail :ohnoes:)

Your right that is very good,I can see where that will eat up alot of my time.Thanks alot :thumbsup:
And their turning us into Monsters its all designed!!

Can you ZIP the file and upload to a file-hosting site? Then you could give us the link via PM here ...

much easier than emailing it a bunch of times. :P

here is a website that you can go to that has info about the game and it's history:

http://www.nevertown.com/xassault1.asp

As for posting the file for download, I'll see what I can do.

Oh and I think I've figured out how to at least change character stats, and who is on which team. For instance Psylocke isnt considered to be part of the X-treme X-men. Sure she died the 2nd issue but she was on the team. I'll see what I can figure out. I dont know a whole lot about flash. I want to add characters, but I'm not sure I know how. Hope you guys are enjoying it.

After reading the info at nevertown.com, I'm x-tremely interested.  Can you please e-mail it to me at diamond181@aol.com?  Thanks.   :xmen_logo:

when i had gotten a hold of the game a few days ago, i decided to shoot the creator of the game an email. I told him i had decompiled it and that i wanted to tinker with it a bit. anyways, he emailed me back. I thought I'd share his response:

"It's really scary how often I get e-mails like this, six years after I first released the game.  Thanks very much for the appreciation (and the donation way back in the day, too!).  After the utter debacle of X-Assault's demise, it's nice to see one or two e-mails like this every time I open my Inbox!  Makes me feel like at least there were some people out there who appreciated all that effort.

My greatest fear was always that somebody would decompile the program and see the rubber bands and duct tape holding it together.  I was just learning Flash when I started to program it, and as I got better, I realized just how archaic and inefficient the program was in the form I originally built.  Faced with the choice of spending weeks rebuilding it from scratch to be more efficient, or just muddling along with the architecture I'd already built, I chose the lazy way out.  Looking back, the battle and Press Your Luck portions aren't quite so bad... but the trivia and character selection is positively embarassing.  I remember being really proud of the way the Exiles stuff came out, though.

Remember that the beta is an incomplete version - there are still several bugs in it (for instance, Dark Phoenix is WAY too hard to trigger in Chapter 3), the new teams were very incomplete, and not all of the dialog had been finished.  But I KNOW I put Spiral/Longshot dialog in - either you missed it, or that was another bug.  And Psylocke wasn't in X-Treme because, as I said way back in one of the old NixonVision FAQ's, being a member of a team for a few hours and then kicking the bucket doesn't count (besides, play balance!!!).

Enjoy tinkering - if you have questions feel free to ask.  There are many days I consider going back, finishing the version, and discreetly releasing a fully debugged X-A... but then I remember that that would be promoting Marvel characters and properties, and I change my mind.  I do miss those days, though...."

:bawling: i still dont have it and it sounds so good
Please search the forum before asking a question. I dont answer
PMs about modding, those questions should be posted in a public thread.
What im currently working on: http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=2275.0
My mods are mine to booster/update, I will not give anybody permission to do it

Do you know anything about the 3 or 6 chapter versions as the one you emailed out only seems to have part of chapter 1 for me?  I had a nice team of Beast, Emma, Bishop, Chamber and Nightcrawler going...