MUA1 Character Mod Catalog

Started by Cates, April 28, 2007, 09:37PM

Previous topic - Next topic
November 07, 2007, 04:37PM #150 Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 04:44PM by BliZZ
Ah, what happened to that post? :runaway:

Anyway, how does that look for a table? I think it'd look better with borders, but I don't know if that is possible.

i removed it because i didnt feel like getting flamed, haha,
but youre right, it would look better with borders, you can make horizontal lines

but not sure about vertical ones, at least this way you can see many mods at once in a small space but other people may not like it
so if someone didnt read my original post it just said i didnt like the stages

Dang, adding the [ hr ] screws up the alignment of the columns. I'll keep trying.

you could put a set amount of spaces as the last line of each column entry, like this:

New mod
guy mod
trying mod

New modnnnnnnnnnn
guy modgggggggggg
trying modr

New modnnnnnjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj
guy modggggggggggh
trying modrffff

hhh
jjjjjjj

lllll
q

I set it back to normal for now, I'll try out some things with tables on a smaller scale and see if I can get something good. If I can, I'll update this.

November 07, 2007, 11:33PM #156 Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 11:48PM by idrinkdrpepper
Quote from: iammingy on November 07, 2007, 12:31PM
I have been (and will also be) very busy.  How come these mods are arranged by "Stages"? I am a bit confused here. @_@

Stage 3 = Those with a preview vid?
Stage 2 = ??
Stage 1 = ??

Both my She-Hulk mod (Stage 2) and Toxin mod (Stage 1) have the same type contents and both have fixes to the known issues? However, I will make an update for each of them around X'mas holidays...I hope.

Any clarifications would be great. :)

EDIT: Wouldn't it be easier for people to navigate if the mods are arranged by names? (.. and may include the date of release (or update) and list the stuff the mod lacks (or needs) next(or under) the name (or link to the mod)?)

Tommyboy made a mod for Falcon:
http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=39.msg22918#msg22918

The Boy Sanga's mod for Captain Britain:
http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=741.0

The old system had 2 lists: Character mods and then Work-in-Progress mods.  This was a misnomer because whether a mod was being worked on or not didn't really depend on which list it was in.  That's why I renamed the categories to reflect which stage of development they were in.  Describing in detail exactly what is missing from the mod or what needs to be worked on is a good idea, but it may involve sifting through a discussion thread for modding information that the average downloader might not even understand.

I think we need some kind of standard that says how done a mod is - either it's (1) rough draft, not really playable; (2) playable but needs some work; or (3) it's done.  I guess you could say that the old system divided mod quality into 2 groups and I just added another grouping.  You could go even further by introducing a finer scale of 1-5 level of completion.  But, I think the complete/not complete system is just a little too crude to be helpful.

Also, please don't get upset over which list I put your mods in.  I can only vouch for the mods I've tried.  I didn't decide based on whether there was a preview video.  If the mod is in the wrong list, then put it in the correct list if you've play-tested it.

This brings up another point.  I'm not sure how it works, but people who create mods should have the ability to edit the catalog - otherwise we're just going to end up with a list of outdated mod links. 

Oh, no. I don't feel upset at all. I was just confused with why they are classified that way.

Quote(1) done; (2) playable but needs some work; or (3) rough draft, not really playable.

Ok. I think this one will work; I say this is much more clear than "stages". :)

QuoteThis brings up another point.  I'm not sure how it works, but people who create mods should have the ability to edit the catalog - otherwise we're just going to end up with a list of outdated mod links.

This would be great if it can be done.

maybe explaning what each stage means in the main post would be more helpful, like underneath the heading "Stage 1" you could put a description on what it means to be a Stage 1 mod.  if i was a newcomer and looked at that list i wouldnt know what the stages mean.
Please search the forum before asking a question. I dont answer
PMs about modding, those questions should be posted in a public thread.
What im currently working on: http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=2275.0
My mods are mine to booster/update, I will not give anybody permission to do it

Or, instead of stages, why don't we just name them as such?

Completed Character Mods.
"Almost Completed Character Mods"? (Don't know what to call this one)
Work-In-Progress Character Mods.

QuoteAlso, please don't get upset over which list I put your mods in.
I don't think it was so much that. The way you went about this thing kinda seemed odd to me, though. It basically looked like you were trying to say your mods were of a higher quality than everyone else's, so they needed a higher classification. Now that you've explained it, sorry for my misunderstanding :shy:

I do question how you are judging "Completed", though. Your Mysterio mod clearly states that it "needs additional skins", which is the same boat that most of the so-called "Stage 2" mods are in. So, wouldn't that be "incomplete"? Wouldn't complete have everything and thus be, y'know, complete?

QuoteThis brings up another point.  I'm not sure how it works, but people who create mods should have the ability to edit the catalog - otherwise we're just going to end up with a list of outdated mod links.

Not sure how this particular board is set up, but the easiest way I can think of is to make people with character mods released moderators of this section of the board only.

November 08, 2007, 08:57AM #160 Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 10:23AM by cvc
I have a thread in the General Modding Discussion section that show the wip as it was being done many people downloaded my characters then would pm me if something wasn't working and I would either fix it on the board or fix it and pm them back.I still welcome any and all modders to fix them up the way they see fit link  http://marvelmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=240.msg15509#msg15509 as topic implies (help with boltons and bad guys) so put together that even low level modders can take a wack at modding,also put together in a way as to save time for higher level modders, all of them play with the warning that there are 5 free spots that they need to fill.It was working and many folks got what they wanted in there villain character all n all a good thread and still helping folks get what they want.The reg fightStyles did not work without the fightstyles that Blizz made as stated it the thread.
EDIT: There is one mod that even has a install what level is that mod?? 
And their turning us into Monsters its all designed!!

Quote from: BliZZ on November 08, 2007, 06:35AM
Or, instead of stages, why don't we just name them as such?

Completed Character Mods.
"Almost Completed Character Mods"? (Don't know what to call this one)
Work-In-Progress Character Mods.

For me the WiP label was too broad.  Many of the mods are WiP, but I think there should be a distinction between a WiP Avalanche and some other WiP character that's at the point where it's just a re-skin with no given animations yet.

I do question how you are judging "Completed", though. Your Mysterio mod clearly states that it "needs additional skins", which is the same boat that most of the so-called "Stage 2" mods are in. So, wouldn't that be "incomplete"? Wouldn't complete have everything and thus be, y'know, complete?

Silver Surfer only has one skin, but he's still considered complete.  There are four costumes with different bonuses on them, but they all look the same. 

Sound, on the other hand, is more of an issue.  The sound folder is like the game's largest folder and I think that unless the game is on mute, it's going to make a noticeable difference to gameplay.  I'm not sure if there's a sound-editing tutorial on this board, but it's similar to animation editing in that we have access to at least two files - a playable character's sound file and the common file; and maybe a third file can be accessed, I'm not sure.  But the point is that in the absence of customized sound files (which Noelemahc was working on), assigning power sounds is still doable in the same way that assigning power animations is doable.

I listed Mandarin as stage 2 because to me, he's not complete because I didn't do any sound editing and he's missing an xtreme power and I think costume icons.  He's not a WiP either, because I stopped working on him almost a year ago.

November 08, 2007, 12:42PM #162 Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 12:49PM by BliZZ
Perhaps there should be notes of whether or not sounds are included?

"Completed Character Mods"
"Completed Character Mods - No Sounds"
"Work-In-Progress Character Mods"

Or perhaps sounds should just be a note under the mod. Something like:

"-This character has no sounds"

I certainly think sound is a very tricky issue, since custom sound looks to be impossible and re-using playable characters' sounds will get old real fast. And to consider a mod incomplete because it lacks something there is no feasible way of making seems ludicrous.

ETA: Something like the way I set it up now seems more logical than to separate it into categories.

November 08, 2007, 05:20PM #163 Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 05:24PM by idrinkdrpepper
Quote from: BliZZ on November 08, 2007, 12:42PM
I certainly think sound is a very tricky issue, since custom sound looks to be impossible and re-using playable characters' sounds will get old real fast. And to consider a mod incomplete because it lacks something there is no feasible way of making seems ludicrous.

Back when this modding community was still at the gamespot forums and Noelemahc was just starting to pick apart the sound files, I was able to decode some of the sound file format because it was set up in a similar way to how the xmlb/engb files were set up. At the time, my sound card was busted so I mainly worked with nba2kstuff in telling him how to decode the xmlb files.    In retrospect, I should have also decoded the sound files for nba2kstuff because they are very much customizable and he might have been able to create a program for us that would allow customized sound files.

I just recently took Dr. Strange's sound file and replaced his p7 power sound with Mr. Fantastic's p3 power sound.  It takes a good 20 minutes because you have to write down ~6 offset values, but it can be done manually.  I can imagine that a computer program can allow us to mix and match power sounds much more conveniently.

But this is off topic, so I'll continue the sound discussion somewhere else.  However, I do feel that sound is a critical component that should be included. 

Sorry about that OmegaRed one, I went back to look at it for some reason it had been changed All the rest should still play if anybody has any questions just ask!!! 
And their turning us into Monsters its all designed!!