Marvel UT3 Mod.....

Started by qpaynter, May 04, 2007, 07:25PM

Previous topic - Next topic
May 04, 2007, 07:25PM Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 12:51AM by qpaynter
This Idea has been dropped... To much trouble with Marvel.

If it was free id definitely giv it a chance

I'd love to be able to, but most FPS mods that try to do non-FPS stuff don't turn out very well.  Plus the amount of time for a whole team to do a two-character mod on the graphics/quality scale of UT3 would take months.  Don't get me wrong.  The idea is awesome but programming non-FPS physics/moves/camera plus having to make high-poly models with normal+bumpmaps, LODs and animations would just be way to much work.

I'd happily play it.  There was a mod, first for Quake, then Q2, called Superheroes that was fantastic.  It was in development for UT, but didn't get very far.  It worked thanks to it's simplicity (essential for a FPS at the time): each player picks 3 powers, Active, Passive and Special.  Active powers were like Gambit's cards, eyebeams, gravity-well mines, grappling hooks and the like.  Passive powers were usually defensive, such as bulletproofing, armour body or invisibilty, but included things like waterbreathing and flying.  Special powers were all over the place, things like vampirism, superfast shots, or helper drones that flew around you.  There were a LOT of power combinations, and some special characters thrown in (a Jedi, a Robot, Shaft, and even a "normal" human with lots 'o guns).  Great mod to play online.  Would've been even better for a game like Wolfenstein or Call of Duty, but alas...

Essentially, before you start, remember to keep it simple at first, at least until the basics are working.   

Hi,
I do modelling, rigging, animation and skinning (see my threads, or my website:
http://tommyboymeshes.freedomforceforever.com/index.html), so I might well be interested in contributing some models.
Over many years of trying to Mod other games to be Superhero games I've come to prefer Modding games that start out intended to be Superhero games (like Freedom Force or Mua). This is because the physics, game engine, graphics etc tend to be set up in a way that "works". I played "superheroes" back in the Quake days (I even made a bunch of my own skins but never released any), and enjoyed it, but it wasn't ever much more than Quake with Superhero skins. Even that commercial Quake Xmen Mod felt like Quake with Xmen models.
If a proper 3rd person camera and physics/combat system can be setup, and the thing can be Modded a bit more easily than MUA, I'd probably be in for Modding as well as Meshing.
I always wanted to Mod Spiderman2 on the PC as that used the Unreal Engine, but I never got anywhere with it as it didn't seem Mod friendly to me.

Dunno about Spidey2, but the Unreal engine is extremely mod-friendly.  So's the Half-Life 2 Source engine, which has the advantage of many throwable models.  Tweaking it's gravity-gun physics, and the inclusion of the new Portals system, should provide a solid superhero base to work with.  That said, UT2004 definitley has the edge when it comes to huuuge maps, and it seems the U3 engine will maintain that to allow for it's (wicked-lookin!) vehicles.  The 3rd person camera was also an option in UT2004, and if I'm not mistaken, there was at least one "fighting" mod for it as well.   

Anyway, I've done a little modelling (for Q2) and a fair amount of skinning/texturing for existing models, as well as mapping for Q2, UT2004, and HL2.  If I can be of any use in the future, let me know. 

(Yeah, that Xmen mod for Quake was kinda crap, especially considering that it was a free mod until Marvel got wind of it...)

Quote from: qpaynter on May 09, 2007, 01:25PM
Hey guys:

thetommyboy2002: Hows your higher poly modelling? Cause your range of Freedom Force models is good but I need characters modelled around 5k-6k poly with Normal Mapping. If you can do that I'd love to take a look even if theyre not Normal Mapped, Just 5k-6k poly would be great to see.

Since FF doesnt support normals, and I havent been able to get my meshes to work with normals in MUA, I really don't have much experience of using them. Some of my MUA meshes have been higher poly than their FF equivalents as it doesnt seem to add significantly to the MUA filesize, or hit performance (whereas both happen in FF), the latest Black widow for MUA is 23400 polys.
But it's an area I need to get into (higher poly stuff).

Quote from: qpaynter on May 09, 2007, 01:43PM
Well if you wanna give it a shot.. Would be cool, like Capt America or someone.

Sure, I'll try.
What are we talking here, UT3? I dont have that (is it even out yet? The last game in the series I had was UT2003).
Any pointers to good sites to pick up exporters, modelling tips etc?

I've just been looking at UT3 screenshots at planetunreal, verry purty.
I'm up to my neck in FF Modding at the moment, so it may be a while till I even start looking at UT meshing, especially if you consider the backlog of MUA stuff I've yet to finish/do properly.
But at some stage in the next few weeks I'll try something out.

Quote from: fluid_static on May 06, 2007, 09:59PM
I'd happily play it.  There was a mod, first for Quake, then Q2, called Superheroes that was fantastic.  It was in development for UT, but didn't get very far.  It worked thanks to it's simplicity (essential for a FPS at the time): each player picks 3 powers, Active, Passive and Special.  Active powers were like Gambit's cards, eyebeams, gravity-well mines, grappling hooks and the like.  Passive powers were usually defensive, such as bulletproofing, armour body or invisibilty, but included things like waterbreathing and flying.  Special powers were all over the place, things like vampirism, superfast shots, or helper drones that flew around you.  There were a LOT of power combinations, and some special characters thrown in (a Jedi, a Robot, Shaft, and even a "normal" human with lots 'o guns).  Great mod to play online.  Would've been even better for a game like Wolfenstein or Call of Duty, but alas...

they did something very similar on counter strike i believe